Old 11-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Richard England

Default yumex not functioning on my f8 platform

Sometime early this week I noticed that yumex on my f8 system was not
showing any updates. I was getting the pup (?) notification that
updates existed but I couldn't see them in yumex.

Today I change my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora_updates.repo file so I was
looking at baseurl instead of mirror list and yumex still did not show
any update but yum allowed me to add the 26 it showed as available.

I try to keep a watch on this list but I saw nothing about any problems
with mirrors or yum or yumex. I haven't touched my yum or yumex set
up, except to add livna, and even that I did with a rpm.

What did I miss? Anyone out there that can shed some light on what
might have happened or suggest some diagnostics for me?

Thanks,
~~R

Old 11-30-2007, 02:19 AM
Richard England

Richard England wrote:
Sometime early this week I noticed that yumex on my f8 system was not
showing any updates. I was getting the pup (?) notification that
updates existed but I couldn't see them in yumex.
Today I change my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora_updates.repo file so I was
looking at baseurl instead of mirror list and yumex still did not show
any update but yum allowed me to add the 26 it showed as available.

I try to keep a watch on this list but I saw nothing about any
problems with mirrors or yum or yumex. I haven't touched my yum or
yumex set up, except to add livna, and even that I did with a rpm.

What did I miss? Anyone out there that can shed some light on what
might have happened or suggest some diagnostics for me?

Thanks,
~~R

Further data.... The yumex transcript shows the following when the
mirrors are activated:

. . .
8:35:58 : Setup Yum : Groups
18:36:05 : Failure getting
http://mirror.stanford.edu/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/comps-f8.xml:

18:36:05 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
18:36:05 : Trying other mirror.
18:36:11 : Failure getting
ftp://ftp.uci.edu/mirrors/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/comps-f8.xml:

18:36:33 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
18:36:33 : Trying other mirror.
. . . . .
and a whole bunch of repeats...

Old 11-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Ivan Virgili

Richard England wrote:
Further data.... The yumex transcript shows the following when the
mirrors are activated:

. . .
8:35:58 : Setup Yum : Groups
18:36:05 : Failure getting
http://mirror.stanford.edu/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/comps-f8.xml:

18:36:05 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
18:36:05 : Trying other mirror.
18:36:11 : Failure getting
ftp://ftp.uci.edu/mirrors/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386/repodata/comps-f8.xml:

18:36:33 : --> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
18:36:33 : Trying other mirror.
. . . . .
and a whole bunch of repeats...

I experienced the same identical problem this week.
Problem solved with "yum clean all"
If you use Yum Extender, you can do it at the click of a button.

Ivan

--
Ivan Virgili
http://www.ivanvirgili.com

Old 11-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Richard England

Ivan Virgili wrote:

Richard England wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. That was one of the first things I did when I encountered this.
Maybe there was a problem whose solution had not propagated to the
mirrors and I tried too early.... I just did another "yum clean all" and
I no longer get the Metadata file checksum error. Of course there
aren't any updates because I forced the use of the baseurl.

I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens.

Thank you for the response, Ivan.

--
--R