Old 11-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Default FC7 on my lappy, F8 dvd in drive, fresh powerup

Gene Heskett writes:

HP-dv5120us, amd turion 64 bit cpu, gig of ram, 100 GB drive.
It gets to the bit about skipping the media test (it already passed that
several times previously on this dvd)

then I get a blue screen with the prompts across the bottom, and a

"Welcome to Fedora for 386"

across the top, and it sits there. And it does this regardless of the mode I
choose to do the install/upgrade.

Whats Next?

Well, try booting with "nohz=off noapic". That worked for me on one cranky
laptop.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>Gene Heskett writes:
>> HP-dv5120us, amd turion 64 bit cpu, gig of ram, 100 GB drive.
>> It gets to the bit about skipping the media test (it already passed that
>> several times previously on this dvd)
>>
>> then I get a blue screen with the prompts across the bottom, and a
>>
>> "Welcome to Fedora for 386"
>>
>> across the top, and it sits there. And it does this regardless of the
>> mode I choose to do the install/upgrade.
>>
>> Whats Next?
>
>Well, try booting with "nohz=off noapic". That worked for me on one cranky
>laptop.

Must have been the magic twanger,, it ran anaconda and now says
"Welcome to Fedora" in a white window with an "OK" center screen. Got through
keyboard and language, then told it to skip the boot loader update as it dual
boots to xp too. Trying to do an update in text mode. dependencies will
probably give it an upset tummy.

I recall seeing the figure 27% as a place it got stuck too, from previous
posts, but its made it to 36% now... About 1.5% a minute, HD led never goes
off. Looks like the starter pistol must have fired, I'll be back if any more
gotcha's show up.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Gene Heskett

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Thursday 29 November 2007, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>Gene Heskett writes:
>>> HP-dv5120us, amd turion 64 bit cpu, gig of ram, 100 GB drive.
>>> It gets to the bit about skipping the media test (it already passed that
>>> several times previously on this dvd)
>>>
>>> then I get a blue screen with the prompts across the bottom, and a
>>>
>>> "Welcome to Fedora for 386"
>>>
>>> across the top, and it sits there. And it does this regardless of the
>>> mode I choose to do the install/upgrade.
>>>
>>> Whats Next?
>>
>>Well, try booting with "nohz=off noapic". That worked for me on one cranky
>>laptop.
>
>Must have been the magic twanger,, it ran anaconda and now says
[...]
>off. Looks like the starter pistol must have fired, I'll be back if any
> more gotcha's show up.

I guess they did, it has been stuck, with the HD led on, but no dvd activity,
at 99% in the dependency check since about 7 hours ago. The machine is
relatively cool, so its not working very hard. No response to the tab,
alt+tab, space, or F12 keys.

What is next folks?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Claude Jones

On Fri November 30 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I guess they did, it has been stuck, with the HD led on, but no dvd
> activity, at 99% in the dependency check since about 7 hours ago. *The
> machine is relatively cool, so its not working very hard. *No response to
> the tab, alt+tab, space, or F12 keys.
>
> What is next folks?

There will be other suggestions. I faced the same problem with both of my F7
machines. I opted for a yum upgrade. I've had no regrets. After any upgrade,
there are a few small problems - on both my machines, I felt like they were
less than usual, but, that's anecdotal - it took under an hour to fix the
issues I had post-upgrade this time, on both machines. I remember some in
times past, that took up to several days. In no case have any of the issues
been show-stopping. The machines booted, performed all the necessary daily
work, my favorite recipe finally turned out for the dinner party for eight,
my wife got a raise, life was good --- oh, wait.........

Joking aside, the post upgrade issues on both my yum upgrade F7->F8 machines
were trivial last month. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Time spent in
both cases was about 7 hours on broadband connections (T1 at the office and
3mb DSL at home)

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 30 November 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Fri November 30 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I guess they did, it has been stuck, with the HD led on, but no dvd
>> activity, at 99% in the dependency check since about 7 hours ago. *The
>> machine is relatively cool, so its not working very hard. *No response to
>> the tab, alt+tab, space, or F12 keys.
>>
>> What is next folks?
>
>There will be other suggestions. I faced the same problem with both of my F7
>machines. I opted for a yum upgrade. I've had no regrets. After any upgrade,
>there are a few small problems - on both my machines, I felt like they were
>less than usual, but, that's anecdotal - it took under an hour to fix the
>issues I had post-upgrade this time, on both machines. I remember some in
>times past, that took up to several days. In no case have any of the issues
>been show-stopping. The machines booted, performed all the necessary daily
>work, my favorite recipe finally turned out for the dinner party for eight,
>my wife got a raise, life was good --- oh, wait.........
>
>Joking aside, the post upgrade issues on both my yum upgrade F7->F8 machines
>were trivial last month. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Time spent in
>both cases was about 7 hours on broadband connections (T1 at the office and
>3mb DSL at home)

I tried a yum upgrade 2 or 3 weeks ago, but it failed litterally hundreds of
dependency thingy's. Maybe didn't do it right, good instructs are hard to
find. Pointers, url's welcomed.

Thanks, Claude.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Claude Jones

On Friday November 30 2007 9:07:42 am Gene Heskett wrote:
> I tried a yum upgrade 2 or 3 weeks ago, but it failed
> litterally hundreds of dependency thingy's. *Maybe didn't do
> it right, good instructs are hard to find. *Pointers, url's
> welcomed.
>
> Thanks, Claude.

I did the following:

I manually downloaded the release rpm for F8 and installed it for
the Fedora repos and some of the other repos that I use (I think
I found a couple of others including Livna)

I then went through each of my .repo files in yum.repos.d and
changed those that hadn't been updated (this usually involved
looking at the URL's and changing each 'F7' to 'F8'

I made sure that the repos I want to use were enabled, and those
that I don't were not after the above procedure (in my case, I
use Freshrpms, not Livna, so I had to disable Livna after
installing the release rpm for Livna - I have Livna installed
for occasional use, but I normally have it disabled)

I then installed the latest kernel (I don't know if this is
necessary, but, it was suggested in one of the howto's I used)

I then ran yum update - this found a huge number of packages and
failed on a couple of dependencies (yes, only a couple, not
hundreds)

I removed the packages that were causing problems - in no
instance were they things I couldn't do without, at least for
the purposes of the upgrade

I ran yum update a second time, and this time it worked - on both
machines, there were about 1400 packages that got upgraded

This is how it worked for me. Obviously, YMMV -- my repos are:

Freshrpms (enabled)
Adobe-linux (enabled)
Dries (disabled)
Dag (disabled)
Livna (disabled)
Fedora (Fedora and Fedora-updates enabled, the rest disabled)
atrpms (disabled)
Skype (enabled)
KDE-redhat (KDE-redhat - stable and testing enabled)
jpackage (disabled)
planetccrma (disabled)
olib-fedora (disabled)

I can't remember where I found the howtos I used - I seem to
remember following some suggestions posted to this list
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 PM
David Boles

Old 11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 30 November 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Friday November 30 2007 9:07:42 am Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I tried a yum upgrade 2 or 3 weeks ago, but it failed
>> litterally hundreds of dependency thingy's. *Maybe didn't do
>> it right, good instructs are hard to find. *Pointers, url's
>> welcomed.
>>
>> Thanks, Claude.
>
>I did the following:
>
>I manually downloaded the release rpm for F8 and installed it for
>the Fedora repos and some of the other repos that I use (I think
>I found a couple of others including Livna)
>
>I then went through each of my .repo files in yum.repos.d and
>changed those that hadn't been updated (this usually involved
>looking at the URL's and changing each 'F7' to 'F8'
>
>I made sure that the repos I want to use were enabled, and those
>that I don't were not after the above procedure (in my case, I
>use Freshrpms, not Livna, so I had to disable Livna after
>installing the release rpm for Livna - I have Livna installed
>for occasional use, but I normally have it disabled)
>
>I then installed the latest kernel (I don't know if this is
>necessary, but, it was suggested in one of the howto's I used)
>
>I then ran yum update - this found a huge number of packages and
>failed on a couple of dependencies (yes, only a couple, not
>hundreds)

I don't have as many repos, and I did go get the kde.repo, and its now
spitting out an endless list of stuff to be updated. One question though, in
the interests of saving bandwidth, can I not make the dvd a first priority
when the package there is the same as the one in the repo I'd have to
download? Its still pulling filelists.sqlite.bz2's. Looks like I'll have to
remove mplayer, it just exited. Done, restarted.

I'd assume also that I should stop x when all the deps have been handled and
do it from a tty shell? ctl-c it when it starts to pull packages, stop x and
resume? Actually its ready, 100 new packages, 1187 to update, remove 5.
I think I'll just let it godoit.

>I removed the packages that were causing problems - in no
>instance were they things I couldn't do without, at least for
>the purposes of the upgrade
>
>I ran yum update a second time, and this time it worked - on both
>machines, there were about 1400 packages that got upgraded
>
>This is how it worked for me. Obviously, YMMV -- my repos are:
>
No>Freshrpms (enabled)
No>Adobe-linux (enabled)
No>Dries (disabled)
No>Dag (disabled)
Yes>Livna (disabled)
Yes>Fedora (Fedora and Fedora-updates enabled, the rest disabled)
No>atrpms (disabled)
No>Skype (enabled)
Yes>KDE-redhat (KDE-redhat - stable and testing enabled)
No>jpackage (disabled)
No>planetccrma (disabled)
No>olib-fedora (disabled)
>
>I can't remember where I found the howtos I used - I seem to
>remember following some suggestions posted to this list

Now, I'd assume that once I get the lappy sorted, I could do the same thing
here? First to F7, then to F8?

Thanks Claude, it looks like this is gonna work.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Claude Jones

On Friday November 30 2007 12:43:52 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> Now, I'd assume that once I get the lappy sorted, I could do
> the same thing here? *First to F7, then to F8?
>
> Thanks Claude, it looks like this is gonna work.

sorry - I omitted the step of going to runlevel 3 - if it were I,
I think I'd stop if you haven't gone too far, and drop down - I
got so into the habit of doing so when doing KDE upgrades that I
figured I'd do it as well doing a distro upgrade - on that page
David provided, it's also suggested - you may have a bit more
fixing to do post-upgrade if you leave it the way the way you're
doing it

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 11-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 30 November 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Friday November 30 2007 12:43:52 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Now, I'd assume that once I get the lappy sorted, I could do
>> the same thing here? *First to F7, then to F8?
>>
>> Thanks Claude, it looks like this is gonna work.
>
>sorry - I omitted the step of going to runlevel 3 - if it were I,
>I think I'd stop if you haven't gone too far, and drop down - I
>got so into the habit of doing so when doing KDE upgrades that I
>figured I'd do it as well doing a distro upgrade - on that page
>David provided, it's also suggested - you may have a bit more
>fixing to do post-upgrade if you leave it the way the way you're
>doing it

Done & restarted, thanks for the heads up, Claude.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)