Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Default FC7 on my lappy, F8 dvd in drive, fresh powerup

Gene Heskett writes:

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Thursday 29 November 2007, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Gene Heskett writes:

HP-dv5120us, amd turion 64 bit cpu, gig of ram, 100 GB drive.
It gets to the bit about skipping the media test (it already passed that
several times previously on this dvd)

then I get a blue screen with the prompts across the bottom, and a

"Welcome to Fedora for 386"

across the top, and it sits there. And it does this regardless of the
mode I choose to do the install/upgrade.

Whats Next?

Well, try booting with "nohz=off noapic". That worked for me on one cranky
laptop.

Must have been the magic twanger,, it ran anaconda and now says

[...]

off. Looks like the starter pistol must have fired, I'll be back if any
more gotcha's show up.

I guess they did, it has been stuck, with the HD led on, but no dvd activity,
at 99% in the dependency check since about 7 hours ago. The machine is
relatively cool, so its not working very hard. No response to the tab,
alt+tab, space, or F12 keys.

What is next folks?

The 99% halt in dependency check is, I believe, a known bug if you have some
packages installed from non-Fedora repositories (Livna, FreshRPMS, etc…)
whose dependencies cannot be groked by anaconda; although your ALT-Fx should
still work, though.

Take an inventory of all the stuff that you have installed from non-Fedora
sources, and nuke them via rpm -e. You can reinstall them later, after the
ugprade.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 30 November 2007, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>Gene Heskett writes:

>>>Must have been the magic twanger,, it ran anaconda and now says
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>>off. Looks like the starter pistol must have fired, I'll be back if any
>>> more gotcha's show up.
>>
>> I guess they did, it has been stuck, with the HD led on, but no dvd
>> activity, at 99% in the dependency check since about 7 hours ago. The
>> machine is relatively cool, so its not working very hard. No response to
>> the tab, alt+tab, space, or F12 keys.
>>
>> What is next folks?
>
>The 99% halt in dependency check is, I believe, a known bug if you have some
>packages installed from non-Fedora repositories (Livna, FreshRPMS, etc…)
>whose dependencies cannot be groked by anaconda; although your ALT-Fx should
>still work, though.

In other words, the anaconda got trapped on the bottom too long and drowned.
Serves it right.

>Take an inventory of all the stuff that you have installed from non-Fedora
>sources, and nuke them via rpm -e. You can reinstall them later, after the
>ugprade.

I had only 4 packages all related to mplayer to nuke and the yum update is
still at work. On package 512's dl ATM.

Thanks, it might come in handy when I do this box.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)