Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Msquared

Default Video card for dual-head 1920x1200?

Hi, guys!

I'm looking for a video card that supports two 1920x1200 monitors using
open-source drivers under Xen on Fedora 8.

I currently have an nVidia 8500GT, but I'm having issues with dual-screen
under the open-source drivers, and the proprietary drivers don't support
Xen.

I have not yet purchased the 1920x1200 screens, as I wanted to make sure
that my card supported them first. Since I'm having so many problems with
the nVidia, I'm looking for an alternative card. The monitors I will most
likely purchase are 2 Samsung 245B.

Regards, Msquared...

Old 11-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 09:38 +0900, Msquared wrote:
> Hi, guys!
>
> I'm looking for a video card that supports two 1920x1200 monitors using
> open-source drivers under Xen on Fedora 8.
>
> I currently have an nVidia 8500GT, but I'm having issues with dual-screen
> under the open-source drivers, and the proprietary drivers don't support
> Xen.
>
> I have not yet purchased the 1920x1200 screens, as I wanted to make sure
> that my card supported them first. Since I'm having so many problems with
> the nVidia, I'm looking for an alternative card. The monitors I will most
> likely purchase are 2 Samsung 245B.
>
> Regards, Msquared...

You're hitting one of my biggest problems.
I want dual head. (24" + 22" DELLs)
I want 3D.
And I want Xen.

But sadly enough nVidia doesn't official support Xen. (You can try to
use their proprietary driver never the less [1]... but YMMV)

In the end, I kept the nVidia drivers (for my 6800) and the 3D
(proprietary drivers) but replaced Xen with VMWare server.

As for your question, -for now- if you're looking for good OSS drivers
with solid dual-head and Xen support, you should be aiming at ATI/AMD
r300 based cards (ATI 9xxx?).
In a couple of months the new open ATI/AMD RadeonHD should be mature
enough for production - giving you the magic bullet of dual-head, xen
and decent 3D.

- Gilboa
[1] http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95483&highlight=xen

Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Msquared

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 09:20:52AM +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> You're hitting one of my biggest problems.
> I want dual head. (24" + 22" DELLs)
> I want 3D.
> And I want Xen.

I'm happy to not have 3D, since this is for a development workstation
(hence Xen and dual head together).

> But sadly enough nVidia doesn't official support Xen. (You can try to
> use their proprietary driver never the less [1]... but YMMV)

Yeah, I tried that, and had endless problems. I *almost* got it working
but couldn't seem to make it actually work. You'll see a post by
'Msquared' on that thread already - that's me.

> As for your question, -for now- if you're looking for good OSS drivers
> with solid dual-head and Xen support, you should be aiming at ATI/AMD
> r300 based cards (ATI 9xxx?).

Thanks for the tip. I'll hit up my local supplier (of I.T equipment!) on
Monday.

Regards, Msquared...

Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
"ne..."

On 30/11/2007, Msquared <sub2.fedoralist@msquared.id.au> wrote:
> Hi, guys!
>
> I'm looking for a video card that supports two 1920x1200 monitors using
> open-source drivers under Xen on Fedora 8.
Have you contacted your local Matrox dealer yet?
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/dh2go/digital/home.php
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/products/th2go/digital/home.php
Seems these will do what you what with ease...

ne...
Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.