Old 12-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Konstantin Svist

Default broken yum after latest yum update

Michael Schwendt wrote:

On 01/12/2007, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:

$ ldd /usr/bin/python
linux-gate.so.1 => (0x00110000)
libpython2.5.so.1.0 => /usr/local/lib/libpython2.5.so.1.0

Boom! As I wrote, your local lib install overrides the system lib,
which breaks badly if they are incompatible. If you want to avoid
that, you need to fix your ld.so* configuration.

So how do I "fix" it?
I'm guessing something in the process of compilation of /usr/local
version...

May be worthwhile mentioning:
on a 64bit install, python behaves differently: when LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
set to /usr/local/lib, it uses that library; when it's not set, it uses
/usr/lib64 version

Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 PM
"Michael Schwendt"

On 01/12/2007, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On 01/12/2007, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> $ ldd /usr/bin/python
> >> linux-gate.so.1 => (0x00110000)
> >> libpython2.5.so.1.0 => /usr/local/lib/libpython2.5.so.1.0
> >>

> > Boom! As I wrote, your local lib install overrides the system lib,
> > which breaks badly if they are incompatible. If you want to avoid
> > that, you need to fix your ld.so* configuration.
> >

> So how do I "fix" it?
> I'm guessing something in the process of compilation of /usr/local
> version...

In addition to not setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is harmful ways, verify
/etc/ld.so* and kill your stuff in /usr/local until you know what
you're doing.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Konstantin Svist

Michael Schwendt wrote:

libpython2.5.so.1.0 => /usr/local/lib/libpython2.5.so.1.0

Boom! As I wrote, your local lib install overrides the system lib,
which breaks badly if they are incompatible. If you want to avoid
that, you need to fix your ld.so* configuration.

So how do I "fix" it?
I'm guessing something in the process of compilation of /usr/local
version...

In addition to not setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is harmful ways, verify
/etc/ld.so* and kill your stuff in /usr/local until you know what
you're doing.

Hmm, sure enough - /etc/ld.so.conf contains "/usr/local/lib" (and the
64bit system doesn't)

Is it supposed to be there? If not, what could've added it? Is it safe
to remove?

Judging from contents of files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ it looks like every
[package/program/?] can define its own set of library paths. What's the
proper procedure for adding those?

Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 AM
"Michael Schwendt"

On 02/12/2007, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> So how do I "fix" it?
> >> I'm guessing something in the process of compilation of /usr/local
> >> version...
> >>

> > In addition to not setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is harmful ways, verify
> > /etc/ld.so* and kill your stuff in /usr/local until you know what
> > you're doing.
> >

> Hmm, sure enough - /etc/ld.so.conf contains "/usr/local/lib" (and the
> 64bit system doesn't)
>
> Is it supposed to be there?

No, it isn't. Unless you desperately want it to be there.

> If not, what could've added it?

PEBKAC?

> Is it safe to remove?

It depends on how you've modified your system.

> Judging from contents of files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ it looks like every
> [package/program/?] can define its own set of library paths. What's the
> proper procedure for adding those?

The default for Fedora is this:

$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf
include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf