Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Fedora and Ubuntu

Pup and yum on F7 are a pain. Often when the message is for 10 new
updates I do it in a terminal. Either way it is quite slow. But it works.

Ubuntu uses apt-get and a GUI thing like Pup but it works much
better. I have no desire to do it in a terminal. When I set it up the
first time it took 90 updates. I was amazed how fast it went and zero
problems. There are several things not Fedora or normal Ubuntu
applications that I MUST have. On Ubuntu they are all a simple # apt-get
install and they do all the work bringing in the necessary libs and such.

At this time I can say the Ubuntu update system is very superior to
Pup and yum used on Fedora. I suggest Fedora look close at Ubuntu and
see how to get it working here.

Both systems use Gnome and that makes both look VERY similar. A nice
feature of Ubuntu is that that mount all the Linux systems on boot to
/mnt and you can then, of course transfer things from the Fedora systems
to Ubuntu. Or the reverse.

Ubuntu is based on Debian and the place that files go and do are odd
to a Fedora user. There is no grub.conf and /etc/fstab is a real MESS! I
am not sure my Fedora /home directory can be used with Ubuntu, but I
will try just for fun.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
"Alan M. Evans"

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 16:57 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Ubuntu is based on Debian and the place that files go and do are odd
> to a Fedora user. There is no grub.conf and /etc/fstab is a real MESS! I
> am not sure my Fedora /home directory can be used with Ubuntu, but I
> will try just for fun.

*blink* *blink*

Does this mean that you are planning on dropping Fedora in favor of
Ubuntu (with the attendant benefit of you pestering their user list
instead of ours)?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:19 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 29/11/2007, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> Pup and yum on F7 are a pain. Often when the message is for 10 new
> updates I do it in a terminal. Either way it is quite slow. But it works.
>
> Ubuntu uses apt-get and a GUI thing like Pup but it works much
> better. I have no desire to do it in a terminal. When I set it up the
> first time it took 90 updates. I was amazed how fast it went and zero
> problems. There are several things not Fedora or normal Ubuntu
> applications that I MUST have. On Ubuntu they are all a simple # apt-get
> install and they do all the work bringing in the necessary libs and such.
>
> At this time I can say the Ubuntu update system is very superior to
> Pup and yum used on Fedora. I suggest Fedora look close at Ubuntu and
> see how to get it working here.

You can use apt-get and synaptic with Fedora too.

yum install apt-get synaptic

and now you can run apt-get on Fedora.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 30/11/2007, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/11/2007, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> > Pup and yum on F7 are a pain. Often when the message is for 10 new
> > updates I do it in a terminal. Either way it is quite slow. But it works.
> >
> > Ubuntu uses apt-get and a GUI thing like Pup but it works much
> > better. I have no desire to do it in a terminal. When I set it up the
> > first time it took 90 updates. I was amazed how fast it went and zero
> > problems. There are several things not Fedora or normal Ubuntu
> > applications that I MUST have. On Ubuntu they are all a simple # apt-get
> > install and they do all the work bringing in the necessary libs and such.
> >
> > At this time I can say the Ubuntu update system is very superior to
> > Pup and yum used on Fedora. I suggest Fedora look close at Ubuntu and
> > see how to get it working here.
> >

> You can use apt-get and synaptic with Fedora too.
>
> yum install apt-get synaptic

that should be

yum install apt synaptic

Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Karl Larsen

Alan M. Evans wrote:

Ubuntu is based on Debian and the place that files go and do are odd
to a Fedora user. There is no grub.conf and /etc/fstab is a real MESS! I
am not sure my Fedora /home directory can be used with Ubuntu, but I
will try just for fun.

*blink* *blink*

Does this mean that you are planning on dropping Fedora in favor of
Ubuntu (with the attendant benefit of you pestering their user list
instead of ours)?

No I plan to pester Alan at all costs. If your not interested in the
message why did you comment?

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Les Mikesell

Karl Larsen wrote:

Ubuntu uses apt-get and a GUI thing like Pup but it works much
better. I have no desire to do it in a terminal. When I set it up the
first time it took 90 updates. I was amazed how fast it went and zero
problems. There are several things not Fedora or normal Ubuntu
applications that I MUST have. On Ubuntu they are all a simple # apt-get
install and they do all the work bringing in the necessary libs and such.

That's not particularly a difference between apt-get and yum - it has to
do with whether or not the package in question happens to be maintained
in a usable repository.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Karl Larsen

Jonathan Underwood wrote:

Pup and yum on F7 are a pain. Often when the message is for 10 new
updates I do it in a terminal. Either way it is quite slow. But it works.

Ubuntu uses apt-get and a GUI thing like Pup but it works much
better. I have no desire to do it in a terminal. When I set it up the
first time it took 90 updates. I was amazed how fast it went and zero
problems. There are several things not Fedora or normal Ubuntu
applications that I MUST have. On Ubuntu they are all a simple # apt-get
install and they do all the work bringing in the necessary libs and such.

At this time I can say the Ubuntu update system is very superior to
Pup and yum used on Fedora. I suggest Fedora look close at Ubuntu and
see how to get it working here.

You can use apt-get and synaptic with Fedora too.

yum install apt-get synaptic

and now you can run apt-get on Fedora.

Intersting. I will do that and see how it works. It should be a good
thing to know. Can you get updates with apt-get?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 30/11/2007, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> Intersting. I will do that and see how it works. It should be a good
> thing to know. Can you get updates with apt-get?

apt-get upgrade

Also, man apt-get is worth reading.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Rex Dieter

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Pup and yum on F7 are a pain. Often when the message is for 10 new
> updates I do it in a terminal. Either way it is quite slow. But it works.

1. F8 is faster
2. I've used both apt-get and yum, and yum is faster (esp in F8)

Have I mentioned F8 is fast?

-- Rex

Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Karl Larsen

Jonathan Underwood wrote:

[...]

I got apt-get and it is just 3 -5 times faster than yum on F7!

So it is available and I suggest EVERYONE get it ASAP. You will be glad
you did.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User