Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 PM
"Paul Smith"

Default Backup of a VMware virtual machine

Dear All,

Is it possible to backup an entire VMware virtual machine?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 PM
"Alan M. Evans"

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 23:55 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

> Is it possible to backup an entire VMware virtual machine?

I do this all the time. Just tar up all the files in the VM's directory.
It's a good idea to make sure that the VM is not currently open. I even
moved a VM from my old work computer to the new one this way -- no
problems at all.

You could also clone the VM, but a cloned VM is not *exactly* the same
as the original. (Vista will, for example, want to phone home for a
fresh activation.)

Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Ed Greshko

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Is it possible to backup an entire VMware virtual machine?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Yes. They are just files. I do it all the time.

However, you need to restore them to the same place since there is
configuration information in one or two of the files.

And, you should read the VMware for documentation on how to "clone" a VM in
the event you are moving it to another machine or another location.

(FYI, I'm only talking about VMware Workstation. If you are using another
one of their products, YMMV.)

Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Nov 30, 2007 12:05 AM, Alan M. Evans <fedoralist@alanevans.org> wrote:
> > Is it possible to backup an entire VMware virtual machine?
>
> I do this all the time. Just tar up all the files in the VM's directory.
> It's a good idea to make sure that the VM is not currently open. I even
> moved a VM from my old work computer to the new one this way -- no
> problems at all.
>
> You could also clone the VM, but a cloned VM is not *exactly* the same
> as the original. (Vista will, for example, want to phone home for a
> fresh activation.)

Thanks! What is specifically the VM directory?

Paul

Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Ed Greshko

Paul Smith wrote:

> Thanks! What is specifically the VM directory?

Don't quite understand your last Q.

--
It could be one of these chemicals here that makes him so smart. Lisa,
maybe you should try some of this.

-- Homer Simpson
Bart the Genius

Old 11-29-2007, 11:22 PM
"Paul Smith"

> > Thanks! What is specifically the VM directory?
>
> Don't quite understand your last Q.

Sorry for not having been clear enough. How can I determine the
directory to save?

Paul

Old 11-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Ed Greshko

Paul Smith wrote:
>>> Thanks! What is specifically the VM directory?
>> Don't quite understand your last Q.
>
> Sorry for not having been clear enough. How can I determine the
> directory to save?

The simple answer is "Open up the *Preferences* menu" of workstation and see
what the settings are for "Workspace".

Note, however, that while each VM does default to putting its files in this
area the setting can be changes on a per VM basis.

This is no longer a Fedora question. Feel free to contact out of band.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:16 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Nov 30, 2007 12:27 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

> >> Don't quite understand your last Q.
> >
> > Sorry for not having been clear enough. How can I determine the
> > directory to save?
>
> The simple answer is "Open up the *Preferences* menu" of workstation and see
> what the settings are for "Workspace".
>
> Note, however, that while each VM does default to putting its files in this
> area the setting can be changes on a per VM basis.

Found it, Ed! Many thanks!

Paul

Old 11-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Greg Sieranski

Ed Greshko wrote:

Paul Smith wrote:

Dear All,

Is it possible to backup an entire VMware virtual machine?

Thanks in advance,

Yes. They are just files. I do it all the time.

However, you need to restore them to the same place since there is
configuration information in one or two of the files.

And, you should read the VMware for documentation on how to "clone" a VM in
the event you are moving it to another machine or another location.

(FYI, I'm only talking about VMware Workstation. If you are using another
one of their products, YMMV.)

I install all my vmware images in my home directory under vmware. So for
windows I have ~/vmware/Windows XP. I then use rsync -avP to copy the
Windows directory to my backup disk. Then whenever I do a fresh install,
I just rsync -avP the Windows directory from the backup disk to my
laptop and open in up in vmware. Works perfectly

Greg Sieranski