Old 11-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Windows XP Sucks!

David Boles wrote:

What I have is a Biostar GeForce6100-M9 and of course I already have
the User's Manual. I need the BIOS Manual. On that section it is all
.exe files.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Karl Larsen

Greg Sieranski wrote:

David Boles wrote:

Greg Sieranski wrote:

David Boles wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

I got the file holding the Manual for my BIOS on this computer
from
BioStar web page and after clicking on the manual thing I d/l a
file. It

is CRUS5-M9_0829C_B.exe and I have d/l it several times because of
Windows.

snip<

Karl. I have no idea exactly what you have there but I went to the
Biostar website and every manual file, Documentations in the Menu(s),
that I found was a .pdf. Nothing in manuals was an executable.

What is the MB model number?

http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Manual/

Here is where he got it from

Greg Sieranski

Why in the heck would he go there? There is a very nice GUI http website
that is just begging to be 'click on me' all over the place.

Do you know the actual MB number? That *is* what he is looking for here.
Correct? It was.

- --

David

I agree. If you go to the Support & Services -> Documentations there
is a drop down list of all the products and the manuals in .pdf
format. I have no clue what Karl was doing

Greg Sieranski

It appears I went to the wrong place. I put biostar in google and
the first listing had a lot of things and I selected motherboards
because that is what I want. But all the files are .exe.

Will look again and see if I can find the place you looked.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-29-2007, 08:50 PM
ivers101

I am a lurker in this conference, but notice that Karl's foibles do tend
to take over the whole thing. It's like a Saturday cartoon...

Just a thought.

Ike

Karl Larsen wrote:

Greg Sieranski wrote:

David Boles wrote:

Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Karl Larsen

Greg Sieranski wrote:

David Boles wrote:

Greg Sieranski wrote:

David Boles wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

[...]

Not where I went, but I changed to another web page and did find the
.pdf files that someone else found. I will look at what I got. It should
help.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Chris Jones

ivers101 wrote:
I am a lurker in this conference, but notice that Karl's foibles do tend
to take over the whole thing. It's like a Saturday cartoon...

Whilst I confess I sometimes wish Karl would stay a little more 'on
topic', you have to admit he does add his own special brand of interest
to this list. A little amusement now and then isn't so bad I guess.

Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Karl Larsen

Karl Larsen wrote:

Greg Sieranski wrote:

David Boles wrote:

Greg Sieranski wrote:

David Boles wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

[...]

Not really and it is others that make many messages of just my one.
But it is for good cause because I was looking at the wrong web page
which is the main Biostar. What you need to see is this one:

http://www.biostar-usa.com/downloadmain.asp

And when there along the side is a tab that says documentation. Hit that
and then select the version you have and a well marked .pdf file is for
BIOS. On page 20 you see clearly where to turn on the serial ports. I
have needed this file for some time. It has 32 pages.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM
David Boles

Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
David Boles

Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Jim Cornette

David Boles wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:

David Boles wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

Karl. I have no idea exactly what you have there but I went to the
Biostar website and every manual file, Documentations in the Menu(s),
that I found was a .pdf. Nothing in manuals was an executable.

What is the MB model number?

What I have is a Biostar GeForce6100-M9 and of course I already have
the User's Manual. I need the BIOS Manual. On that section it is all
.exe files.

A BIOS manual? Never seen one from a motherboard maker. Not sure that I
have ever seen one at all.

Motherboard makers buy the BIOS chips from a different manufacturer. Or
at least they used to do that. What you might find are BIOS updates and
patches. But again those usually come for the maker of the BIOS. What
you *probably* have is a .exe to change your BIOS or something on the
MB. Drivers and things maybe. *Could* be a bad thing. Those are WinRar
BTW not WinZip files.

When you *first boot* there is a screen that usually flashes by very
quickly. At the very top will be the name and all the other information
of your BIOS. As I said - goes by fast. :-) You might have to boot
several times to get it all. It helps if there are two of you. One to
read out loud and one to write.

Does this help?

Howstuffworks "How BIOS Works"

http://www.howstuffworks.com/bios1.htm

There a plenty of Google hits about BIOS.
- --

David

Or get XP added to a "How Stuff Doesn't Work" website.

--
"Arguments with furniture are rarely productive."
-- Kehlog Albran, "The Profit"

Old 11-30-2007, 01:26 AM
David Boles