Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
"Kenneth Lee"

Default Copying one's home directory to an external hard disk

The best way - depends on what you need.

Here is what I do -

Each night, I have a cron job that mounts an external drive and I copy files.* Here is a snippet:
#!/bin/bash
### backup to usb drive ###

# Ensure the device is plugged in
if [ ! -b /dev/USB-500GB-EXT ]; then
******* exit 1
fi

# Mount the backup mount point
mount /backup

echo "*******************************">>/backup/backup.log

echo "Start Backup">>/backup/backup.log
date>>/backup/backup.log

echo "/home/klee/ - processing ...">>/backup/backup.log
# Copy data from /home/klee
cd /backup

mkdir /backup/home
mkdir /backup/home/klee
cd /backup/home/klee
cp -a -u -v --reply=yes /home/klee/ /backup/home/

date>>/backup/backup.log
echo "Backup Complete">>/backup/backup.log

cd /root

# unmount the backup mount point
umount -l /backup

From work, I use rsync.* With a windows laptop, I would use rsync and ssh with cygwin.* Here's a sample of that script:

@echo off
setlocal

set PATH=c:cygwin;%PATH%
set CYGWIN=binmode tty
set TERM=ansi
set USERNAME=klee
set HOME=c:cygwin
set RSYNC_RSH=ssh.exe

@echo on
c:
cd "My Documents"

rsync -e c:cygwinssh -va ./ username@ipaddress:/home/klee/mydocuments/

endlocal

Hope that gives you some ideas.* For this to work, I have a dedicated server at home and spend an extra 5 dollars a month for a static IP address.* This way I can SSH to my Home PC anytime I need from just about anywhere I have an internet connection.* This has really helped when I needed to get a hint from sourcecode I had at home.* Just a quick SSH terminal session, and I had what I needed.

Ken

Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 13:01 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:50:15 +0000
> > Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> What is the best way of copying *entirely* one's home directory to an
> >> external hard disk?
> >
> > tar
> >

> I will vote against tar.
>
> I used it for a backup some time ago and just this past weekend, I had
> to recover 4 files. Due to the size of the tar file, it took ages. I
> am talking hours.
Those must have been really big files. For a file of a few gigs (4 I
think) it took 20 minutes.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Nov 29, 2007 9:52 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > > tar
> > >

> > I will vote against tar.
> >
> > I used it for a backup some time ago and just this past weekend, I had
> > to recover 4 files. Due to the size of the tar file, it took ages. I
> > am talking hours.
> Those must have been really big files. For a file of a few gigs (4 I
> think) it took 20 minutes.
> >
> > With the cost of drives today, I would just use cp -a. I have not used
> > rsync so I cannot comment on that.

Thanks for all replies.

Paul