Old 11-20-2007, 02:17 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default Dual layer dvd burning

John Summerfield wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Tony Nelson wrote:
>>> Why use a filesystem? I just put a tar archive directly on the media.
>>> Growisofs doesn't care what file you burn.
>>
>> Uh, yes, it does. It creates an ISO fs containing the file(s) you want
>> burnt, and the ISO fs is where the 2GB filesize limit is.
>
> It doesn't insist on it, see the man page:
> To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to a DVD:
>
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

We're still talking apples and oranges here. You keep talking about
writing ISO filesystems that are already built. I keep talking about
building the ISO filesystem to write to the DVD. The 2GB filesize
restriction lies inside the definition of the ISO filesystem. a 32 bit
filesize field can't hold more than a signed 2GB value. AFAIK, it is
not an unsigned field. I don't know the details, I just know it didn't
work when I tried it about 18 months ago....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 AM
John Summerfield

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Tony Nelson wrote:

While the drives are capable of holding 8GB of data, the filesystem is
*still* not capable of holding a file >= 2GB. This is usually not a
problem when writing video onto these drives as the VOB filesize is <
2GB anyways. When using them to write backups of large files, games
must be played to get the data to fit.

Why use a filesystem? I just put a tar archive directly on the media.
Growisofs doesn't care what file you burn.

Uh, yes, it does. It creates an ISO fs containing the file(s) you want
burnt, and the ISO fs is where the 2GB filesize limit is.

It doesn't insist on it, see the man page:
To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to a DVD:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

We're still talking apples and oranges here. You keep talking about
writing ISO filesystems that are already built. I keep talking about

Now you're misunderstanding plain English!

That example is from the man page. The fact it contains a prebuilt ISO
filesystem is immaterial, it's a file and growisofs is just writing a
file to the DVD, doing no processing and not (AFAIK) verifying it's an
ISO image.

If that does not work (and I think that improbable), try a DVD-capable
cdrecord.

The "=" is important. Without it, I would expect growisofs to wrap the
file into an isofs.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Please do not reply off-list

Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

John Summerfield wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> John Summerfield wrote:
>>> It doesn't insist on it, see the man page:
>>> To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to a DVD:
>>>
>>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso
>>
>> We're still talking apples and oranges here. You keep talking about
>> writing ISO filesystems that are already built. I keep talking about
>
> Now you're misunderstanding plain English!

By golly, you're right I am. What you are saying (that I didn't
understand the first time I read it) was that using this syntax, you
don't actually need to give it an ISO file, any old file will do.

> That example is from the man page. The fact it contains a prebuilt ISO
> filesystem is immaterial, it's a file and growisofs is just writing a
> file to the DVD, doing no processing and not (AFAIK) verifying it's an
> ISO image.

To me, that wasn't clear from the man page. I assumed that it actually
required an ISO file and wouldn't work without one. So, I never tried
it without one.

> If that does not work (and I think that improbable), try a DVD-capable
> cdrecord.
>
> The "=" is important. Without it, I would expect growisofs to wrap the
> file into an isofs.

Yes, that is what the man page says.

So, I guess we can stop arguing now and agree to agree. B^)

Old 11-20-2007, 05:20 AM
John Summerfield

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:

Now you're misunderstanding plain English!

By golly, you're right I am. What you are saying (that I didn't

I feel better now:-) He who laughs last, etc.

understand the first time I read it) was that using this syntax, you
don't actually need to give it an ISO file, any old file will do.

Correct[1].

That example is from the man page. The fact it contains a prebuilt ISO
filesystem is immaterial, it's a file and growisofs is just writing a
file to the DVD, doing no processing and not (AFAIK) verifying it's an
ISO image.

To me, that wasn't clear from the man page. I assumed that it actually
required an ISO file and wouldn't work without one. So, I never tried
it without one.

Imagine the confusion if it read
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=big.cpio

Now, a cpio would be interesting, given that the kernel's initrd is a
cpio file these days.

[1] One of the radio people has the habit of saying "Correct," in a
similar way to others' use of "Absolutely." Some of the others have been
catching it, probably unawares.