-   -   Windows XP Sucks! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/8571-windows-xp-sucks.html)

Karl Larsen 11-29-2007 06:50 PM

Windows XP Sucks!

I got the file holding the Manual for my BIOS on this computer from
BioStar web page and after clicking on the manual thing I d/l a file. It
is CRUS5-M9_0829C_B.exe and I have d/l it several times because of Windows.

The .exe makes it a windows file for sure. I tried using the Linux
unzip on it and it failed. So fired up my Work laptop which has winXP on
it that is seldom used. I have it on a memory stick and when I put it on
Windows nothing much happened. But I recalled to bring up "My Computer".
And sure enough there was a Kenstin stick as e: and I clicked on it and
there was my file.

I put mouse over file and moved it over to the main window. It
didn't work and put up a long winded tail why I can't do that. It
appears I on the keyboard do not have permission to do that.

I have a kernel package for F7 on the stick that went to my F7 on
the laptop. I tried to slide that off and it went without a problem. In
fact only the above file can't be moved.

Next I right clicked the file on the stick and selected to Run it.
The error panel came up and told me the file is a Trogan type of thing
and will not open it.

At a coffee get together all the other guys run Windows and the said
there is a way to turn off the thing that calls EVERYTHING a problem.
But it is well hidden. I had to listen to all the register problems and
how you need to defrag windows every month or so.

Boy! Sure glad I changed to Linux.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"Jonathan Underwood" 11-29-2007 06:58 PM

Windows XP Sucks!

On 29/11/2007, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> I got the file holding the Manual for my BIOS on this computer from
> BioStar web page and after clicking on the manual thing I d/l a file. It
> is CRUS5-M9_0829C_B.exe and I have d/l it several times because of Windows.
>
> The .exe makes it a windows file for sure. I tried using the Linux
> unzip on it and it failed. So fired up my Work laptop which has winXP on
> it that is seldom used. I have it on a memory stick and when I put it on
> Windows nothing much happened. But I recalled to bring up "My Computer".
> And sure enough there was a Kenstin stick as e: and I clicked on it and
> there was my file.
>
> I put mouse over file and moved it over to the main window. It
> didn't work and put up a long winded tail why I can't do that. It
> appears I on the keyboard do not have permission to do that.
>
> I have a kernel package for F7 on the stick that went to my F7 on
> the laptop. I tried to slide that off and it went without a problem. In
> fact only the above file can't be moved.
>
> Next I right clicked the file on the stick and selected to Run it.
> The error panel came up and told me the file is a Trogan type of thing
> and will not open it.
>
> At a coffee get together all the other guys run Windows and the said
> there is a way to turn off the thing that calls EVERYTHING a problem.
> But it is well hidden. I had to listen to all the register problems and
> how you need to defrag windows every month or so.
>
> Boy! Sure glad I changed to Linux.

I wonder how Ian's ducks are doing.

"Fernando Apesteguía" 11-29-2007 07:02 PM

Windows XP Sucks!

On Nov 29, 2007 8:50 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> I got the file holding the Manual for my BIOS on this computer from
> BioStar web page and after clicking on the manual thing I d/l a file. It
> is CRUS5-M9_0829C_B.exe and I have d/l it several times because of Windows.
>
> The .exe makes it a windows file for sure. I tried using the Linux
> unzip on it and it failed. So fired up my Work laptop which has winXP on
> it that is seldom used. I have it on a memory stick and when I put it on
> Windows nothing much happened. But I recalled to bring up "My Computer".
> And sure enough there was a Kenstin stick as e: and I clicked on it and
> there was my file.
>
> I put mouse over file and moved it over to the main window. It
> didn't work and put up a long winded tail why I can't do that. It
> appears I on the keyboard do not have permission to do that.
>
> I have a kernel package for F7 on the stick that went to my F7 on
> the laptop. I tried to slide that off and it went without a problem. In
> fact only the above file can't be moved.
>
> Next I right clicked the file on the stick and selected to Run it.
> The error panel came up and told me the file is a Trogan type of thing
> and will not open it.
>
> At a coffee get together all the other guys run Windows and the said
> there is a way to turn off the thing that calls EVERYTHING a problem.
> But it is well hidden. I had to listen to all the register problems and
> how you need to defrag windows every month or so.

I'm sorry for the possible flame this is going to start:

I've read all your mail, just to see if there is something
linux-related on it. And (as usual with your mails) there is nothing.

Please, we know Windows _could_ suck but STOP (yes, I'm shouting)
STOP, STOP, doing things like this.

This post is only noise in the list. And thanks to you, now I'm
feeling guilty because I'm following your fu#$7ng story.

You never follow the rules man. Never, ever. And they've been told to
you so many times...

I'm wondering if this is just a test to check our patience.

"Kam Leo" 11-29-2007 07:25 PM

Windows XP Sucks!

On Nov 29, 2007 12:02 PM, Fernando Apesteguía
<fernando.apesteguia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 8:50 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
> > I got the file holding the Manual for my BIOS on this computer from
> > BioStar web page and after clicking on the manual thing I d/l a file. It
> > is CRUS5-M9_0829C_B.exe and I have d/l it several times because of Windows.
> >
> > The .exe makes it a windows file for sure. I tried using the Linux
> > unzip on it and it failed. So fired up my Work laptop which has winXP on
> > it that is seldom used. I have it on a memory stick and when I put it on
> > Windows nothing much happened. But I recalled to bring up "My Computer".
> > And sure enough there was a Kenstin stick as e: and I clicked on it and
> > there was my file.
> >
> > I put mouse over file and moved it over to the main window. It
> > didn't work and put up a long winded tail why I can't do that. It
> > appears I on the keyboard do not have permission to do that.
> >
> > I have a kernel package for F7 on the stick that went to my F7 on
> > the laptop. I tried to slide that off and it went without a problem. In
> > fact only the above file can't be moved.
> >
> > Next I right clicked the file on the stick and selected to Run it.
> > The error panel came up and told me the file is a Trogan type of thing
> > and will not open it.
> >
> > At a coffee get together all the other guys run Windows and the said
> > there is a way to turn off the thing that calls EVERYTHING a problem.
> > But it is well hidden. I had to listen to all the register problems and
> > how you need to defrag windows every month or so.
> >

> I'm sorry for the possible flame this is going to start:
>
> I've read all your mail, just to see if there is something
> linux-related on it. And (as usual with your mails) there is nothing.
>
> Please, we know Windows _could_ suck but STOP (yes, I'm shouting)
> STOP, STOP, doing things like this.
>
> This post is only noise in the list. And thanks to you, now I'm
> feeling guilty because I'm following your fu#$7ng story.
>
> You never follow the rules man. Never, ever. And they've been told to
> you so many times...
>
> I'm wondering if this is just a test to check our patience.

[snip]

If Karl's off-topic postings irritate you so much set up your mail
filter to put them in a place where his musings don't bother you.

Karl, please do not abuse this list. At times you do post interesting
questions/problems. However, those posts versus non-Linux related
ramblings are few in number. I would hate to see members equate your
posts with spam and put them into the bit bucket.

--Kam

David Boles 11-29-2007 07:49 PM

Windows XP Sucks!

Greg Sieranski 11-29-2007 07:55 PM

Windows XP Sucks!

David Boles wrote:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Manual/

Here is where he got it from

Greg Sieranski

David Boles 11-29-2007 08:04 PM

Windows XP Sucks!

Greg Sieranski 11-29-2007 08:12 PM

Windows XP Sucks!

David Boles wrote:

Greg Sieranski wrote:

David Boles wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

I got the file holding the Manual for my BIOS on this computer from
BioStar web page and after clicking on the manual thing I d/l a file. It
is CRUS5-M9_0829C_B.exe and I have d/l it several times because of
Windows.

snip<

Karl. I have no idea exactly what you have there but I went to the
Biostar website and every manual file, Documentations in the Menu(s),
that I found was a .pdf. Nothing in manuals was an executable.

What is the MB model number?

http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Manual/

Here is where he got it from

Greg Sieranski

Why in the heck would he go there? There is a very nice GUI http website
that is just begging to be 'click on me' all over the place.

Do you know the actual MB number? That *is* what he is looking for here.
Correct? It was.

- --

David

I agree. If you go to the Support & Services -> Documentations there is
a drop down list of all the products and the manuals in .pdf format. I
have no clue what Karl was doing

Greg Sieranski