Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Reuben Budiardja

Default Dual-Head with Different Resolution (slightly OT)

Hello,
I have an LCD with 1280x1024 native resolution. I plan to buy a new widescreen
LCD with 1680x1050 resolution, to use in dual-head configuration. I have
NVidia GeForce FX 5200, with VGA and DVI output to drive them, by plugging
one LCD to VGA and the other one to DVI port.
Is it possible to use this setup, and have the card drive the monitors with
different resolution ? I'm using NVidia proprietary driver.

I have done something similar with both monitor runs on the same resolution,
using "Twinview" option on the Xorg.conf, but I don't know how to do it with
different resolutions on the monitors. If my current setup doesn't work, will
a better video card (presumably one with dual DVI) help me, or do I have to
have same resolution monitors ? can anyone recommend one ?

I don't do gaming and only use this mostly for programming and CAD drawing and
3D data visualization, so I don't need high-performance graphic card, only
something decent to work with.

Thanks for any help / info.

RDB

Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Ben Brown

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 12:23 -0500, Reuben Budiardja wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an LCD with 1280x1024 native resolution. I plan to buy a new widescreen
> LCD with 1680x1050 resolution, to use in dual-head configuration. I have
> NVidia GeForce FX 5200, with VGA and DVI output to drive them, by plugging
> one LCD to VGA and the other one to DVI port.
> Is it possible to use this setup, and have the card drive the monitors with
> different resolution ? I'm using NVidia proprietary driver.

Yes, it's possible. Use the nVidia Display Settings in the System Tools.
(That's where it is for me on F8, with drivers installed from Livna.) I
believe you'll have to save the xorg.conf to a user-writable directory,
then copy it over as root, though.

Do yourself a favor and make a backup of your existing xorg.conf first
though!

- Ben

Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
"Reuben D. Budiardja"

On Thursday 29 November 2007 3:50:25 pm Ben Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 12:23 -0500, Reuben Budiardja wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have an LCD with 1280x1024 native resolution. I plan to buy a new
> > widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 resolution, to use in dual-head
> > configuration. I have NVidia GeForce FX 5200, with VGA and DVI output to
> > drive them, by plugging one LCD to VGA and the other one to DVI port.
> > Is it possible to use this setup, and have the card drive the monitors
> > with different resolution ? I'm using NVidia proprietary driver.
>
> Yes, it's possible. Use the nVidia Display Settings in the System Tools.

Thanks. I'll give this a try and report back when I have the monitor

> Do yourself a favor and make a backup of your existing xorg.conf first
> though!

Thanks for the reminder . I actually have hourly + daily + weekly backups
using rsnapshot.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja