Old 11-29-2007, 03:36 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

Default anyone have an Acer TravelMate notebook or anything with an Atheros wifi chip?

On 11/29/07, Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007 11:13 AM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Note, all of the above is before even attempting to use any form of
> > encryption. I want to get the thing functional to the point that I
> > can ping other systems, and then I'll add in encryption.
> >
> > Anyone have any success stories or suggestions? thanks
>
> Despite what lspci says, the wireless you have is NOT actually an AR5006EG,
> it is in fact an AR5007EG (interestingly enough, Windows XP makes the same
> identification mistake). That is why it doesn't work; neither madwifi nor
> ath5k currently support the AR5007EG. At all.

ugh

> I managed to 'fix' it by waltzing down to the nearby computer store and
> buying a wireless PCMCIA card, because madwifi and ath5k won't work, and
> ndiswrapper with this chipset is horribly unpredictable.

*sigh* thanks for the tip, I do appreciate it.

So you did try using it with ndiswrapper? If so, I'd like to try that
out before I spend any more money, but I don't see AR5007EG listed on
the ndiswrapper website. Which driver did you use, and where did you
get it?

thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 04:02 PM
"Kelly Miller"

So you did try using it with ndiswrapper? *If so, I'd like to try that
out before I spend any more money, but I don't see AR5007EG listed on
the ndiswrapper website. *Which driver did you use, and where did you

get it?

Yes, I did, actually.* Though technically it does work, sometimes the system just forgets the wireless is installed, and sometimes ndiswrapper just refuses to connect to any wireless hub.* But if you want to try it, you can get the XP drivers from
http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?atheros=AR5007EG&system=1 ; they do work with ndiswrapper.

Also, you may want to search for and install the acer_acpi program...

Old 11-29-2007, 04:06 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 11/29/07, Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007 11:36 AM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So you did try using it with ndiswrapper? If so, I'd like to try that
> > out before I spend any more money, but I don't see AR5007EG listed on
> > the ndiswrapper website. Which driver did you use, and where did you
> > get it?
> >

> Yes, I did, actually. Though technically it does work, sometimes the system
> just forgets the wireless is installed, and sometimes ndiswrapper just
> refuses to connect to any wireless hub. But if you want to try it, you can
> get the XP drivers from
> http://www.atheros.cz/download.php?atheros=AR5007EG&system=1
> ; they do work with ndiswrapper.
>
> Also, you may want to search for and install the acer_acpi program...

Excellent, thanks. I'll definitely give this a try tonight.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:29 PM
"Kelly Miller"

Excellent, thanks. *I'll definitely give this a try tonight.

Oh damn, I forgot to mention something...

I was just thinking "There was a reason I didn't use Fedora on this laptop..." and now I remember.* ndiswrapper doesn't work on Fedora with this chipset because it uses the 4K config stack.* It'll just crash...

Old 11-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Patrick

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 12:29 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007 12:06 PM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Excellent, thanks. I'll definitely give this a try tonight.
>
> Oh damn, I forgot to mention something...
>
> I was just thinking "There was a reason I didn't use Fedora on this
> laptop..." and now I remember. ndiswrapper doesn't work on Fedora
> with this chipset because it uses the 4K config stack. It'll just
> crash...

atrpms.net has kernel rpms with an 8K stack. These kernel rpms contain
more stuff like suspend2. Might try that one and see if it solves your
problem.

http://atrpms.net/name/kernel-tuxonice/

Regards,
Patrick

Old 11-29-2007, 04:50 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 11/29/07, Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2007 12:06 PM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excellent, thanks. I'll definitely give this a try tonight.
> >

> Oh damn, I forgot to mention something...
>
> I was just thinking "There was a reason I didn't use Fedora on this
> laptop..." and now I remember. ndiswrapper doesn't work on Fedora with this
> chipset because it uses the 4K config stack. It'll just crash...

Thanks for the warning. I'm not opposed to rolling my own kernel with
an 8k stack. Certainly would be easier than having to shell out more
money for another random wifi NIC which may or may not work reliably.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:20 AM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 11/29/07, Patrick <fedora-list@puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 12:29 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
> >

> > On Nov 29, 2007 12:06 PM, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excellent, thanks. I'll definitely give this a try tonight.
> >
> > Oh damn, I forgot to mention something...
> >
> > I was just thinking "There was a reason I didn't use Fedora on this
> > laptop..." and now I remember. ndiswrapper doesn't work on Fedora
> > with this chipset because it uses the 4K config stack. It'll just
> > crash...
>
> atrpms.net has kernel rpms with an 8K stack. These kernel rpms contain
> more stuff like suspend2. Might try that one and see if it solves your
> problem.
>
> http://atrpms.net/name/kernel-tuxonice/

Sadly, even with the 8k stacks kernel, I'm getting an immediate kernel
BUG() followed by crash of the OS when doing a "modprobe ndiswrapper".
This is with the latest ndiswrapper release (1.50) as well as the
1.47 release. I guess i'm entirely screwed at this point.