Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Terry Polzin

Default anyone have an Acer TravelMate notebook or anything with an Atheros wifi chip?

On Thursday 29 November 2007 11:13:23 Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> I just purchased an Acer TravelMate 2480 notebook, after researching
> it and reading many reports that it works well in Linux. That seems
> to be true, up until I attempt to do anything with the built-in
> wireless device.
>
> Its got an Atheros chipset based device, which identifies itself in lspci
> as:
>
> Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g
> Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01) 168c:001c
>
> I've installed Fedora 8-x86, with all updates, and then installed
> madwifi-0.9.4 from the ATrpms yum repo. I blacklisted the ath5k
> driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. Unfortunately, all attempts to
> configure the ath0 interface are failing. In dmesg I'm seeing:
>
> ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
> ath_hal: 0.9.30.13 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, AR5416, RF5111, RF5112,
> RF2413, RF5413, RF2133)
> ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.4)
> PCI: Enabling device 0000:03:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
> ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:03:00.0 to 64
> MadWifi: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported'
> (HAL status 13)
> ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:03:00.0 disabled
>
> To say the least, that isn't promising.
>
> I attempted to fall back to using the ath5k driver (after
> unblacklisting it), but that one isn't working either. It detects the
> device ok, but any attempts to bring up an interface fail. I've got
> several other systems on the same wireless network that aren't having
> any issues, so I'm fairly confident its not the network.
>
> Note, all of the above is before even attempting to use any form of
> encryption. I want to get the thing functional to the point that I
> can ping other systems, and then I'll add in encryption.
>
> Anyone have any success stories or suggestions? thanks

Check back a couple days on the list there is another thread, same issue.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:25 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On 11/29/07, Terry Polzin <foxec208@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 11:13:23 Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > I just purchased an Acer TravelMate 2480 notebook, after researching
> > it and reading many reports that it works well in Linux. That seems
> > to be true, up until I attempt to do anything with the built-in
> > wireless device.
> >
> > Its got an Atheros chipset based device, which identifies itself in lspci
> > as:
> >
> > Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g
> > Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01) 168c:001c
> >
> > I've installed Fedora 8-x86, with all updates, and then installed
> > madwifi-0.9.4 from the ATrpms yum repo. I blacklisted the ath5k
> > driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. Unfortunately, all attempts to
> > configure the ath0 interface are failing. In dmesg I'm seeing:
> >
> > ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
> > ath_hal: 0.9.30.13 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, AR5416, RF5111, RF5112,
> > RF2413, RF5413, RF2133)
> > ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.4)
> > PCI: Enabling device 0000:03:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
> > ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
> > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:03:00.0 to 64
> > MadWifi: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware revision not supported'
> > (HAL status 13)
> > ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:03:00.0 disabled
> >
> > To say the least, that isn't promising.
> >
> > I attempted to fall back to using the ath5k driver (after
> > unblacklisting it), but that one isn't working either. It detects the
> > device ok, but any attempts to bring up an interface fail. I've got
> > several other systems on the same wireless network that aren't having
> > any issues, so I'm fairly confident its not the network.
> >
> > Note, all of the above is before even attempting to use any form of
> > encryption. I want to get the thing functional to the point that I
> > can ping other systems, and then I'll add in encryption.
> >
> > Anyone have any success stories or suggestions? thanks
>
> Check back a couple days on the list there is another thread, same issue.

If you're referring to the stuff in this thread, I've already tried
that, and its not working:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-November/msg04763.html

Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
"Kelly Miller"

Note, all of the above is before even attempting to use any form of
encryption. *I want to get the thing functional to the point that I
can ping other systems, and then I'll add in encryption.

Anyone have any success stories or suggestions? *thanks
*
Despite what lspci says, the wireless you have is NOT actually an AR5006EG, it is in fact an AR5007EG (interestingly enough, Windows XP makes the same identification mistake).* That is why it doesn't work; neither madwifi nor ath5k currently support the AR5007EG.* At all.

I managed to 'fix' it by waltzing down to the nearby computer store and buying a wireless PCMCIA card, because madwifi and ath5k won't work, and ndiswrapper with this chipset is horribly unpredictable.