Old 11-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Antonio

Default F8 Samba

I re-installed F8 and I am running a mixed network with Windws, F8, F8
development.
I forgot to backup the configuration file for samba.

Now I re-created this file (smb.conf):

#
#
#======================= Global Settings =====================================

[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
workgroup = workgroup
cups options = raw
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
server string = Samba Server Version %v
security = user
passdb backend = tdbsam
max log size = 50

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
; valid users = %S
; valid users = MYDOMAIN\%S

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
; guest ok = no
; writable = No
printable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
; comment = Network Logon Service
; path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
; guest ok = yes
; writable = no
; share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
; [Profiles]
; path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
; browseable = no
; guest ok = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
; [public]
; comment = Public Stuff
; path = /home/samba
; public = yes
; writable = yes
; printable = no
; write list = +staff

[testsamba]
path = /home/antonio/testsamba
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
public = yes
valid users = antonio

When I try to connect to the PC from another Fedora machine I get to
the windows showing the testsamba directory, but when I click on it I
get the request for login, I insert antonio as user and password but I
am rejected and a new login window appear.

Same from a Windows machine. Selinux is on.

Any hint??? Tnx
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 11-29-2007, 02:08 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

<------------------------[snip]------------------------------>

> When I try to connect to the PC from another Fedora machine I get to
> the windows showing the testsamba directory, but when I click on it I
> get the request for login, I insert antonio as user and password but I
> am rejected and a new login window appear.
>
> Same from a Windows machine. Selinux is on.
>
> Any hint??? Tnx
Dumb question - did you create user accounts in Samba? (Samba uses
its own user/password files.)

Mikkel

Old 11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Antonio

2007/11/29, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> Antonio wrote:
> > I re-installed F8 and I am running a mixed network with Windws, F8, F8
> > development.
> > I forgot to backup the configuration file for samba.
> >
> > Now I re-created this file (smb.conf):
> >
> <------------------------[snip]------------------------------>
> >
> > When I try to connect to the PC from another Fedora machine I get to
> > the windows showing the testsamba directory, but when I click on it I
> > get the request for login, I insert antonio as user and password but I
> > am rejected and a new login window appear.
> >
> > Same from a Windows machine. Selinux is on.
> >
> > Any hint??? Tnx
> Dumb question - did you create user accounts in Samba? (Samba uses
> its own user/password files.)
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
> Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

yes, I think so, as I synchronized unix users with samba user...
I have decided to start from scratch on my home network - doing homework... ;-)

[global]
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
cups options = raw
server string = Samba Server Version %v
workgroup = workgroup
os level = 20
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
winbind enable local accounts = no
valid users = antonio
security = share
[...]

path = /home/antonio/Musica
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
public = yes
valid users = antonio
[davide]
path = /home/antonio/Documenti Davide
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
valid users = antonio

Now from another Fedora computer I don't even see the other computer
on the network!!!

I am going to get very low marks on Samba!!!!
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 11-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 19:08 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> [...]
> # the "staff" group
> ; [public]
> ; comment = Public Stuff
> ; path = /home/samba
> ; public = yes
> ; writable = yes
> ; printable = no
> ; write list = +staff
>

> [testsamba]
> path = /home/antonio/Musica
> writeable = yes
> browseable = yes
> public = yes
> valid users = antonio
> [davide]
> path = /home/antonio/Documenti Davide
> writeable = yes
> browseable = yes
> valid users = antonio
>
> Now from another Fedora computer I don't even see the other computer
> on the network!!!
>
> I am going to get very low marks on Samba!!!!
----
staying on the same samba server, can you log on?

smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME -U $USER_NAME

enter your password

note that you should be able to access this anonymously (without a
user/password)

smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME

first try anonymously, then try with your samba username (which must
match Linux username or be mapped)

Craig

Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Antonio

2007/11/29, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>:
> [...]
> > writeable = yes
> > browseable = yes
> > public = yes
> > valid users = antonio
> > [davide]
> > path = /home/antonio/Documenti Davide
> > writeable = yes
> > browseable = yes
> > valid users = antonio
> >
> > Now from another Fedora computer I don't even see the other computer
> > on the network!!!
> >
> > I am going to get very low marks on Samba!!!!
> ----
> staying on the same samba server, can you log on?
>
> smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME -U $USER_NAME
>
> enter your password
>
> note that you should be able to access this anonymously (without a
> user/password)
>
> smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME
>
> first try anonymously, then try with your samba username (which must

Craig...this is the answer....

smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME -U $USER_NAME
Unknown parameter encountered: "winbind enable local accounts"
Ignoring unknown parameter "winbind enable local accounts"
Connection to -U failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 19:22 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> 2007/11/29, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>:

> Craig...this is the answer....
>
> smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME -U $USER_NAME
> Unknown parameter encountered: "winbind enable local accounts"
> Ignoring unknown parameter "winbind enable local accounts"
> Connection to -U failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
----
my fault...

I meant for you to replace $SERVER_NAME with the actual host name of
your computer and $USER_NAME with your actual samba account name

but first you should try it anonymously to see if samba is up and
running...

smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME

(again, substitute the proper name)

also...comment this line out...

Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Antonio

2007/11/29, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 19:22 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> > 2007/11/29, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>:
>
> > Craig...this is the answer....
> >
> > smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME -U $USER_NAME
> > Unknown parameter encountered: "winbind enable local accounts"
> > Ignoring unknown parameter "winbind enable local accounts"
> > Connection to -U failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> ----
> my fault...
>
> I meant for you to replace $SERVER_NAME with the actual host name of
> your computer and $USER_NAME with your actual samba account name
>
> but first you should try it anonymously to see if samba is up and
> running...
>
> smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME
>
> (again, substitute the proper name)
>
> also...comment this line out...
> # winbind enable local accounts = no
>
> Craig

smbclient -L Casa
Password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a-6.fc8]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
[root@Casa antonio]#

tnx for help
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 11-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 20:06 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> 2007/11/29, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 19:22 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> > > 2007/11/29, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>:
> >
> > > Craig...this is the answer....
> > >
> > > smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME -U $USER_NAME
> > > Unknown parameter encountered: "winbind enable local accounts"
> > > Ignoring unknown parameter "winbind enable local accounts"
> > > Connection to -U failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
> > ----
> > my fault...
> >
> > I meant for you to replace $SERVER_NAME with the actual host name of
> > your computer and $USER_NAME with your actual samba account name
> >
> > but first you should try it anonymously to see if samba is up and
> > running...
> >
> > smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME
> >
> > (again, substitute the proper name)
> >
> > also...comment this line out...
> > # winbind enable local accounts = no
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > --
> >

> smbclient -L Casa
> Password:
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a-6.fc8]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
> [root@Casa antonio]#

----
anonymous is no password...just hit enter key

Craig

Old 11-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Antonio

2007/11/29, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 20:06 +0100, Antonio wrote:

> > > ----
> > > my fault...
> > >
> > > I meant for you to replace $SERVER_NAME with the actual host name of
> > > your computer and $USER_NAME with your actual samba account name
> > >
> > > but first you should try it anonymously to see if samba is up and
> > > running...
> > >
> > > smbclient -L $SERVER_NAME
> > >
> > > (again, substitute the proper name)
> > >
> > > also...comment this line out...
> > > # winbind enable local accounts = no
> > >
> > > Craig
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > smbclient -L Casa
> > Password:
> > Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a-6.fc8]
> > tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
> > [root@Casa antonio]#
> >
> ----
> anonymous is no password...just hit enter key
>
> Craig

smbclient -L Casa
Password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a-6.fc8]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
testsamba Disk
davide Disk
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server Version
3.0.26a-6.fc8)
ML-1610 Printer Samsung ML-1610
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a-6.fc8]

Server Comment
--------- -------
CASA Samba Server Version 3.0.26a-6.fc8

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
WORKGROUP CASA

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 20:44 +0100, Antonio wrote:
> 2007/11/29, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com>:

> > > smbclient -L Casa
> > > Password:
> > > Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a-6.fc8]
> > > tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
> > > [root@Casa antonio]#
> > >
> > ----
> > anonymous is no password...just hit enter key
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > --
> >
> smbclient -L Casa
> Password:
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a-6.fc8]
>
> Sharename Type Comment
> --------- ---- -------
> testsamba Disk
> davide Disk
> IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server Version
> 3.0.26a-6.fc8)
> ML-1610 Printer Samsung ML-1610
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.26a-6.fc8]
>
> Server Comment
> --------- -------
> CASA Samba Server Version 3.0.26a-6.fc8
>
> Workgroup Master
> WORKGROUP CASA
----
that means samba is working

now if you can connect from your local machine...

smbclient -L Casa -U $USER_NAME
(substitute your samba/unix name for $USER_NAME)
and enter your password and get the same list, you can connect from any
other computer on your network.

Craig