Old 11-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Renich Bon Ciric

Default Is Beagle a Good Thing?

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 14:12 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I sometimes find when my laptop becomes very slow
> and I run "top" to see what is happening
> that the culprit is "beagled-helper".
>
> I don't recall ever starting beagled,
> and it does not seem to be listed by chkconfig.
>
> Is it now a standard part of Fedora?
> Is it mandatory to run it?
> What exactly does it do?
>
> "man beagled" says it is "a system for searching
> and managing your personal information space",
> which I don't find very informative, or convincing.

http://beagle-project.org/Main_Page

I find it very useful. There are some alternatives, too. Not too
familiar with them.
--
Renich Bon Ciric <renich@woralelandia.com>
Woralelandia

Old 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Chris Jones

Hi,

> "man beagled" says it is "a system for searching
> and managing your personal information space",
> which I don't find very informative, or convincing.

Its one of the various desktop search engines around - You know, the
ability to search through all your files, emails, conversations etc. for
whatever criteria you want. If you like that sort of thing then that is
what it does.

very badly in my opinion - it is well known to be a resource hog (also
it is based on the mono package, which in my opinion is a bad design
choice and mono should never have really been allowed to come into
existence).

My solution is

> yum remove beagle

and you will never see it again.

FWIW, on ubuntu 7.10 they have dropped beagle in favour of tracker (by
default). This aims to do exactly the same thing, but is written in C
instead. Whilst I don't really use these features myself, when running
ubuntu I've yet felt the need to remove it, as it is much less resource
hungry.

Hopefully fedora will go the same way and dump beagle sometime soon.

Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
dexter

On Thu November 29 2007 14:12:05 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I sometimes find when my laptop becomes very slow
> and I run "top" to see what is happening
> that the culprit is "beagled-helper".
>
> I don't recall ever starting beagled,
> and it does not seem to be listed by chkconfig.
>
> Is it now a standard part of Fedora?
> Is it mandatory to run it?
> What exactly does it do?
>
> "man beagled" says it is "a system for searching
> and managing your personal information space",
> which I don't find very informative, or convincing.

Remove it if you value your cpu cycles its a resource hog, I'd also ditch the
mono-core it sits on too and all its dependants YMMV.
So to answer your question no.

...dex

Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Chris Jones wrote:

Hopefully fedora will go the same way and dump beagle sometime soon.

The latest version of Fedora (Fedora 8) does not install any desktop
search engine by default.

Rahul

Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Chris Jones

Hopefully fedora will go the same way and dump beagle sometime soon.

The latest version of Fedora (Fedora 8) does not install any desktop
search engine by default.

I didn't know that (Still on F7 here). Thats good to know.

cheers Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 14:55 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:

> Hopefully fedora will go the same way and dump beagle sometime soon.

Beagle is not loaded in F8 by default. gnome-search-tool uses
traditional Unix tools (find, grep, locate) to search. There are
advantages and disadvantages to such an approach, compared to indexing
engines like beagle and tracker.

FWIW, beagle is supposed to (and does, when working properly) suspend
indexing activity when the machine is in use.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 11-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Chris Jones

FWIW, beagle is supposed to (and does, when working properly) suspend
indexing activity when the machine is in use.

That may be correct, but all I can say is in my experience beagle's
indexing seems to take longer and is more noticeable to the user, than
when tracker is doing its thing.

Not exactly a scientific comparison I grant you...

Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Steven Stern

Chris Jones wrote:

FWIW, beagle is supposed to (and does, when working properly) suspend
indexing activity when the machine is in use.

That may be correct, but all I can say is in my experience beagle's
indexing seems to take longer and is more noticeable to the user, than
when tracker is doing its thing.

Not exactly a scientific comparison I grant you...

Chris

I've installed Google Desktop Search and am quite happy with it, other
than it's plugin for Thunderbird. That's a real hog.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 17:08 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> > FWIW, beagle is supposed to (and does, when working properly) suspend
> > indexing activity when the machine is in use.
>
> That may be correct, but all I can say is in my experience beagle's
> indexing seems to take longer and is more noticeable to the user, than
> when tracker is doing its thing.
>
> Not exactly a scientific comparison I grant you...

Never claimed otherwise. See, e.g.,
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/desktop_search_tools_gnu_linux_tracker_recoll_stri gi_deskbar for more.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Bruce Byfield

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 15:26 +0000, dexter wrote:

> > I don't recall ever starting beagled,
> > and it does not seem to be listed by chkconfig.

> > What exactly does it do?

"Teaches users bad habits," is my first response. Beagle, like Tracker,
is designed for people who dump everything into the top level of their
home directory, instead of organizing them into meaningful folders. If
you've taken the time to organize yourself, then apps like Beagle and
Tracker seem a large committment of resources just to accomodate people
who won't learn good work habits. ;-)

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada