Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Alexander Volovics

Default F8: C compiler cannot create executables

When I try to compile R packages from Cran mirrors I get
the following:

checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Here are some config.log excerpts:

| Syntax error
configure:2315: gcc -E -traditional-cpp conftest.c
conftest.c:12: error: assert.h: No such file or directory
configure:2321: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h. */
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif

| Syntax error
configure:2422: /lib/cpp conftest.c
In file included from
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/include/syslimits.h
:7,
from
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/include/limits.h:11
,
from conftest.c:10:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/include/limits.h:122:61: error:
limits.h:
No such file or directory
configure:2428: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h. */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| /* end confdefs.h. */
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
| Syntax error
configure:2497: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

Knowing less than nothing about programming I hope
some experts on the list can tell me what is happening
and how to correct it.

Alexander

Old 11-29-2007, 01:59 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

<---------------------------[snip]------------------>

> Knowing less than nothing about programming I hope
> some experts on the list can tell me what is happening
> and how to correct it.
>
> Alexander

It looks like you are missing one or more development (-devel)
packages. This is not uncommon because the base install is not
really a programming environment. For people planning on compiling
their own packages, installation of more packages is usually needed.

Mikkel

Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Tony Nelson

At 2:21 PM +0100 11/29/07, Alexander Volovics wrote:
>When I try to compile R packages from Cran mirrors I get
>the following:
>
>checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
>compiler cannot create executables
>See `config.log' for more details.

You don't have an actual C compiler, and other things are likely to also be
missing.

[]# yum groupinstall 'Development Tools'

Old 11-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Markku Kolkka

Alexander Volovics kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai,
29. marraskuuta 2007):
> When I try to compile R packages from Cran mirrors I get
> the following:
> (...)
> conftest.c:12: error: assert.h: No such file or directory
> (...)
>: error: limits.h:
> No such file or directory

Install the glibc-headers package.