Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Huub

Default Fedora 8: Laptop doesn't come out of suspend

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 1350 running F8. Previously I had setup power
management to shutdown when the battery ran out, but I changed that to
suspend. However, I can't get the laptop out of suspend. According to
the manual Fn-F4 should do the trick, but it obviously doesn't. Neither
does pressing the Power button which does work on my other laptop
(Toshiba Satellite A100-00M). The only solution is pressing the power
button for 5 seconds (i.e. power-cycle). Does anyone have a suggestion
to solve this?

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 PM
"Vivek J. Patankar"

Huub wrote:
I have an Acer Aspire 1350 running F8. Previously I had setup power
management to shutdown when the battery ran out, but I changed that to
suspend. However, I can't get the laptop out of suspend. According to
the manual Fn-F4 should do the trick, but it obviously doesn't. Neither
does pressing the Power button which does work on my other laptop
(Toshiba Satellite A100-00M). The only solution is pressing the power
button for 5 seconds (i.e. power-cycle). Does anyone have a suggestion
to solve this?

Suspend has never worked on Acer notebooks for me with any Fedora
release, or Ubuntu for that matter. I have tried on Aspire 5004 and a
Travelmate (don't remember the model number).
I have set my notebook to hibernate and that works great. The only
problem that I know of is that bluetooth service has to be restarted if
the device was active when hibernated.

विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218
Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
Linux 2.6.22.4-65.fc7 x86_64

Old 11-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Patrick

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 19:17 +0530, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Huub wrote:
> > I have an Acer Aspire 1350 running F8. Previously I had setup power
> > management to shutdown when the battery ran out, but I changed that to
> > suspend. However, I can't get the laptop out of suspend. According to
> > the manual Fn-F4 should do the trick, but it obviously doesn't. Neither
> > does pressing the Power button which does work on my other laptop
> > (Toshiba Satellite A100-00M). The only solution is pressing the power
> > button for 5 seconds (i.e. power-cycle). Does anyone have a suggestion
> > to solve this?
>
> Suspend has never worked on Acer notebooks for me with any Fedora
> release, or Ubuntu for that matter. I have tried on Aspire 5004 and a
> Travelmate (don't remember the model number).

Suspend/resume works for my on an Acer Ferrari with FC6 and an Acer
6465WLMi with FC7. Iirc suspend/resume also works on the 6465 with F8.
If you use the fglrx (ATI proprietary) driver it's my experience that
suspend and/or resume won't work.

Follow the instructions on this page to try to make it work:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-index.html

Regards,
Patrick

Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Huub

Suspend has never worked on Acer notebooks for me with any Fedora
release, or Ubuntu for that matter. I have tried on Aspire 5004 and a
Travelmate (don't remember the model number).
I have set my notebook to hibernate and that works great. The only
problem that I know of is that bluetooth service has to be restarted if
the device was active when hibernated.

Ok. Just tried hibernation and that indeed works great.