Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
David Timms

Default My server runs slow - you could check / post ?

thomas Armstrong wrote:

If I check "ps -ef" I don't see any weird process and with "top" the
most memory-wasting process is 'mysqld' (0.8%).

I've noticed java {as loaded by a java using web page} can be pretty hungry.

Which extra parameters might I check? Thank you very much.

Disk space ? on each partition
ifconfig
cat /proc/cpuinfo ?
tail -n 100 /var/log/messages
fsck the file system on each partition
- are they badly fragmented ?
smartctl -a /dev/sda etc
uname -a
mount
route
cat /etc/resolv.conf
ping -c 10 www.google.com
traceroute to www.google.com
is your shell connection over the internet ?
- traceroute to your-server
- ping -c 10 to your-server
lsmod
lspci
wget a 10MB file from a nearby mirror
ifconfig {again to see how much tx/rx data since the first run}
ipv6 enabled ?
ps aux|grep -E 'ssh|rsync'
top -d 60, 1, {and copy paste the screen after it changes}.

Would all help to give some insight into: is it just a really old slow
machine vs is there something failing vs something misconfigured vs slow
connectivity vs link congestion etc ?

ps why aren't you running F7 or 8 ? Even 6 won't get updates after early
December.

DaveT.