Old 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default OT: USB<->Ethernet printer server for router

Hi all, this is not a Fedora question, but I am abusing the list's
collective knowledge

Our home network has two Fedora machines and a Ubuntu machine on a
four-port router. As none of the machines are 'always on' machines,
the poor USB printer is plugged into whichever one needs to print. I
recently saw a device for connecting a serial printer to an ethernet
port on the router, thereby giving the printer a local IP address and
any connected computer could print to it. With NAT, even a remote
computer could print to such a printer (actually a feature that we
would use a lot in our home, as I am often at the university and I
send documents home for the wife to print).

Does anyone know of a similar product for USB printers? I've scoured
Ebay but found nothing. I'd love to hear of anyone who has experience
with such devices, and who could describe possible drawbacks that I
have not considered.

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Chris G

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 02:16:39PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Hi all, this is not a Fedora question, but I am abusing the list's
> collective knowledge
>
> Our home network has two Fedora machines and a Ubuntu machine on a
> four-port router. As none of the machines are 'always on' machines,
> the poor USB printer is plugged into whichever one needs to print. I
> recently saw a device for connecting a serial printer to an ethernet
> port on the router, thereby giving the printer a local IP address and
> any connected computer could print to it. With NAT, even a remote
> computer could print to such a printer (actually a feature that we
> would use a lot in our home, as I am often at the university and I
> send documents home for the wife to print).
>
> Does anyone know of a similar product for USB printers? I've scoured
> Ebay but found nothing. I'd love to hear of anyone who has experience
> with such devices, and who could describe possible drawbacks that I
> have not considered.

There are now routers with a USB port to which you can attach a
printer. A quick Google suugests at least USR and Draytek Vigor.

--
Chris Green

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 29/11/2007, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 02:16:39PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Hi all, this is not a Fedora question, but I am abusing the list's
> > collective knowledge
> >
> > Our home network has two Fedora machines and a Ubuntu machine on a
> > four-port router. As none of the machines are 'always on' machines,
> > the poor USB printer is plugged into whichever one needs to print. I
> > recently saw a device for connecting a serial printer to an ethernet
> > port on the router, thereby giving the printer a local IP address and
> > any connected computer could print to it. With NAT, even a remote
> > computer could print to such a printer (actually a feature that we
> > would use a lot in our home, as I am often at the university and I
> > send documents home for the wife to print).
> >
> > Does anyone know of a similar product for USB printers? I've scoured
> > Ebay but found nothing. I'd love to hear of anyone who has experience
> > with such devices, and who could describe possible drawbacks that I
> > have not considered.
> >
> There are now routers with a USB port to which you can attach a
> printer. A quick Google suugests at least USR and Draytek Vigor.
>

> Chris Green

Thanks, Chris, though if I can avoid replacing the entire router I'd
rather. Note, though, that with the price of routers being what they
are it might in fact be cheaper to replace the router

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Chris G

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 02:49:40PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 29/11/2007, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 02:16:39PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > Hi all, this is not a Fedora question, but I am abusing the list's
> > > collective knowledge
> > >
> > > Our home network has two Fedora machines and a Ubuntu machine on a
> > > four-port router. As none of the machines are 'always on' machines,
> > > the poor USB printer is plugged into whichever one needs to print. I
> > > recently saw a device for connecting a serial printer to an ethernet
> > > port on the router, thereby giving the printer a local IP address and
> > > any connected computer could print to it. With NAT, even a remote
> > > computer could print to such a printer (actually a feature that we
> > > would use a lot in our home, as I am often at the university and I
> > > send documents home for the wife to print).
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a similar product for USB printers? I've scoured
> > > Ebay but found nothing. I'd love to hear of anyone who has experience
> > > with such devices, and who could describe possible drawbacks that I
> > > have not considered.
> > >
> > There are now routers with a USB port to which you can attach a
> > printer. A quick Google suugests at least USR and Draytek Vigor.
> >

> > Chris Green
>
> Thanks, Chris, though if I can avoid replacing the entire router I'd
> rather. Note, though, that with the price of routers being what they
> are it might in fact be cheaper to replace the router

A quick Google for "USB print server" turned up lots! :-)

For example the Netgear PS121, however the price is such that you
might decide to go for what I originally suggested, it would be tidier
anyway!

For that metter a search for "USB print server" on Ebay (UK) turned up
lots too, where did you look (or what did you look for)?

--
Chris Green

Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 29/11/2007, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> A quick Google for "USB print server" turned up lots! :-)
>
> For example the Netgear PS121, however the price is such that you
> might decide to go for what I originally suggested, it would be tidier
> anyway!
>
> For that metter a search for "USB print server" on Ebay (UK) turned up
> lots too, where did you look (or what did you look for)?

I was searching for terms such as "usb printer router". I did not know
that I needed the keyword "server". Thanks, Chris, and I think that
you may be right: a new router may be in our future.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 AM
Fred Erickson

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 14:16 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Hi all, this is not a Fedora question, but I am abusing the list's
> collective knowledge
>
> Our home network has two Fedora machines and a Ubuntu machine on a
> four-port router. As none of the machines are 'always on' machines,
> the poor USB printer is plugged into whichever one needs to print. I
> recently saw a device for connecting a serial printer to an ethernet
> port on the router, thereby giving the printer a local IP address and
> any connected computer could print to it. With NAT, even a remote
> computer could print to such a printer (actually a feature that we
> would use a lot in our home, as I am often at the university and I
> send documents home for the wife to print).
>
> Does anyone know of a similar product for USB printers? I've scoured
> Ebay but found nothing. I'd love to hear of anyone who has experience
> with such devices, and who could describe possible drawbacks that I
> have not considered.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Here is a link to the print server I have been using for a couple of
years -- seems to work very well. I have had to re-set it one time I
believe. Think it cost $30 or so on sale at CompUSA.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=21&FamID=42&ProdID=224

Old 12-01-2007, 12:54 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 01/12/2007, Fred Erickson <frederickson@iname.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 14:16 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Hi all, this is not a Fedora question, but I am abusing the list's
> > collective knowledge
> >
> > Our home network has two Fedora machines and a Ubuntu machine on a
> > four-port router. As none of the machines are 'always on' machines,
> > the poor USB printer is plugged into whichever one needs to print. I
> > recently saw a device for connecting a serial printer to an ethernet
> > port on the router, thereby giving the printer a local IP address and
> > any connected computer could print to it. With NAT, even a remote
> > computer could print to such a printer (actually a feature that we
> > would use a lot in our home, as I am often at the university and I
> > send documents home for the wife to print).
> >
> > Does anyone know of a similar product for USB printers? I've scoured
> > Ebay but found nothing. I'd love to hear of anyone who has experience
> > with such devices, and who could describe possible drawbacks that I
> > have not considered.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> Here is a link to the print server I have been using for a couple of
> years -- seems to work very well. I have had to re-set it one time I
> believe. Think it cost $30 or so on sale at CompUSA.

Thanks. Now that I have the keywords I found several models on Ebay.
They all come with a driver CD for Windows. Is this necessary? Can
Linux be configured to work without the disk? Note that my HP
Officejet 4200 works fine in KDE as KDE comes with the drivers
installed for it already, but a friend's Lexmark E120 does _not_ work
in KDE because there are no Linux drivers for it. What is the driver
situation for these print servers?

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Bob Goodwin

Dotan Cohen wrote:

[...]

Yesterday I set up a D-link DP-301U "Fast Ethernet Print Server" that my
daughter brought home from school, brand new in the box, it had been
sold as surplus!

There's really not much to do, access it with your browser and configure
it to fit your LAN. This one is USB printer to Ethernet and I have it
plugged into an Ethernet switch that feeds into our wireless LAN.
Configuration probably would have been faster had I used a Windows
computer and the provided CDROM but I don't do things that way. Had to
create a network address to satisfy the device and once I did that I was
able to access it with Dillo and change the address to the 192.168.1.4
that I wanted after which Firefox displayed the built in setup menu, etc.

It is presently driving an old Epson C62 printer. Only thing I noticed
is that it is shown to be USB1, not sure how much that affects the
printer? It doesn't seem as fast as the HP6840 I usually use but that
may be the printer itself.

Bob Goodwin

Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Thanks. Now that I have the keywords I found several models on Ebay.
> They all come with a driver CD for Windows. Is this necessary? Can
> Linux be configured to work without the disk? Note that my HP
> Officejet 4200 works fine in KDE as KDE comes with the drivers
> installed for it already, but a friend's Lexmark E120 does _not_ work
> in KDE because there are no Linux drivers for it. What is the driver
> situation for these print servers?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen

One quick check if if the print server supports IPP or LPR
protocols. Most recent models should support IPP. The "driver" disk
is probably a Windows setup program, and possible Windows 98
drivers. You can usually set up the print server using a web
interface. If it used IPP, chances are that CUPS will detect it for
you if it is set to detect network printers.

Mikkel

Old 12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 01/12/2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Thanks. Now that I have the keywords I found several models on Ebay.
> > They all come with a driver CD for Windows. Is this necessary? Can
> > Linux be configured to work without the disk? Note that my HP
> > Officejet 4200 works fine in KDE as KDE comes with the drivers
> > installed for it already, but a friend's Lexmark E120 does _not_ work
> > in KDE because there are no Linux drivers for it. What is the driver
> > situation for these print servers?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> One quick check if if the print server supports IPP or LPR
> protocols. Most recent models should support IPP. The "driver" disk
> is probably a Windows setup program, and possible Windows 98
> drivers. You can usually set up the print server using a web
> interface. If it used IPP, chances are that CUPS will detect it for
> you if it is set to detect network printers.
>
> Mikkel

Thanks, Mikkel. One last question. This printer has a scanner built
in. I don't expect that it would work with this print server, but does
anyone know for certain?

Note: I don't _need_ it to work, just curious. It is not a purchasing
decision, unless one could recommend a print server that, unlike the
others, does in fact support the scanner functions.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.