Old 12-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Fred Erickson

Default OT: USB<->Ethernet printer server for router

> > > Our home network has two Fedora machines and a Ubuntu machine on a
> > > four-port router. As none of the machines are 'always on' machines,
> > > the poor USB printer is plugged into whichever one needs to print. I
> > > recently saw a device for connecting a serial printer to an ethernet
> > > port on the router, thereby giving the printer a local IP address and
> > > any connected computer could print to it. With NAT, even a remote
> > > computer could print to such a printer (actually a feature that we
> > > would use a lot in our home, as I am often at the university and I
> > > send documents home for the wife to print).
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a similar product for USB printers? I've scoured
> > > Ebay but found nothing. I'd love to hear of anyone who has experience
> > > with such devices, and who could describe possible drawbacks that I
> > > have not considered.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Dotan Cohen
> > >
> > Here is a link to the print server I have been using for a couple of
> > years -- seems to work very well. I have had to re-set it one time I
> > believe. Think it cost $30 or so on sale at CompUSA.
>
> Thanks. Now that I have the keywords I found several models on Ebay.
> They all come with a driver CD for Windows. Is this necessary? Can
> Linux be configured to work without the disk? Note that my HP
> Officejet 4200 works fine in KDE as KDE comes with the drivers
> installed for it already, but a friend's Lexmark E120 does _not_ work
> in KDE because there are no Linux drivers for it. What is the driver
> situation for these print servers?

The print server I'm using (Hawking HPS1U) with my network, which
consists of a couple of Fedora machines and a couple of M$ machines, has
no Linux support that I can find on their web site, however, the on-disk
manual has a unix install section. I initially configured it using the
included software on an XP computer, then set the printer up on the
Fedora computers with drivers provided with Cups.

The HPS1U is completely configurable via a web browser once it has an IP
address. The manual says IP is enabled by default. I won't have time for
several days to re-set it to defaults and give it a try.

I'm thinking that the print driver and not the print server hardware is
the determining factor as to whether or not a multifunction printer will
work with a networked printer.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:11 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Fred Erickson wrote:

> The HPS1U is completely configurable via a web browser once it has an IP
> address. The manual says IP is enabled by default. I won't have time for
> several days to re-set it to defaults and give it a try.
>
> I'm thinking that the print driver and not the print server hardware is
> the determining factor as to whether or not a multifunction printer will
> work with a networked printer.

Dumb question - Does a multi-function device show up as more then
one USB device? (1 for the printer, and another for the scanner?
Maybe another for the FAX?) I ask because I never tried plugging in
my MFD using USB - it is network enabled, so I have always used it
that way. I did have to use a network-aware SANE driver for it. It
also has different print queues for FAX and printing.

Mikkel

Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
John Summerfield

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Dumb question - Does a multi-function device show up as more then
one USB device? (1 for the printer, and another for the scanner?
Maybe another for the FAX?) I ask because I never tried plugging in
my MFD using USB - it is network enabled, so I have always used it
that way. I did have to use a network-aware SANE driver for it. It
also has different print queues for FAX and printing.

Mikkel

Here's my HP Laserjet 3052:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:3317 Hewlett-Packard

This device prints, scans, copies. It has USB and network interfaces
(and according to the USB info, a parallel port).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-01-2007, 09:56 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

John Summerfield wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Dumb question - Does a multi-function device show up as more then
>> one USB device? (1 for the printer, and another for the scanner?
>> Maybe another for the FAX?) I ask because I never tried plugging in
>> my MFD using USB - it is network enabled, so I have always used it
>> that way. I did have to use a network-aware SANE driver for it. It
>> also has different print queues for FAX and printing.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
> Here's my HP Laserjet 3052:
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:3317 Hewlett-Packard
>
> This device prints, scans, copies. It has USB and network interfaces
> (and according to the USB info, a parallel port).

Thanks. Now I don't have to dig up a long USB cable or move the MFD
to test it myself. One reason I picked a network printer was because
there was not room near the computer for it.

Mikkel

Old 12-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Anthony Messina

On Saturday 01 December 2007 04:56:06 pm Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
> > Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >> Dumb question - Does a multi-function device show up as more then
> >> one USB device? (1 for the printer, and another for the scanner?
> >> Maybe another for the FAX?) I ask because I never tried plugging in
> >> my MFD using USB - it is network enabled, so I have always used it
> >> that way. I did have to use a network-aware SANE driver for it. It
> >> also has different print queues for FAX and printing.
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >
> > Here's my HP Laserjet 3052:
> > Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:3317 Hewlett-Packard
> >
> > This device prints, scans, copies. It has USB and network interfaces
> > (and according to the USB info, a parallel port).
>
> Thanks. Now I don't have to dig up a long USB cable or move the MFD
> to test it myself. One reason I picked a network printer was because
> there was not room near the computer for it.
>
> Mikkel

it's a little pricey, but depending on how your place is wired, you could try
the

XTENDEX® USB-C5-LC
http://www.networktechinc.com/usbc5.html

i use two of these and it's the same as having things connected locally. works
with my scanner too.

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Anthony Messina wrote:
> On Saturday 01 December 2007 04:56:06 pm Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Thanks. Now I don't have to dig up a long USB cable or move the MFD
>> to test it myself. One reason I picked a network printer was because
>> there was not room near the computer for it.
>>

> it's a little pricey, but depending on how your place is wired, you could try
> the
>
> XTENDEX® USB-C5-LC
> http://www.networktechinc.com/usbc5.html
>
> i use two of these and it's the same as having things connected locally. works
> with my scanner too.

Thats OK. The Brother MFC-7820N works well for me. I can manage it,
print to it, or scan from it, from any computer on the local
network. My Linux boxes find it automatically, and setting up and XP
machine to use it, wile a bit more work, is still easy. (CUPS has
the print drivers for it.) Given a choice, I prefer to use a network
printer, or a printer connected to a print server over a directly
connected printer. I have had too many occasions where someone
suddenly remember something they needed to print while I was in the
middle of an upgrade. It usually happens when I have the system torn
apart on my workbench, or 15 minutes into a version upgrade. This
way, they can print from their system directly to the printer.

Mikkel

Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 01/12/2007, Fred Erickson <frederickson@iname.com> wrote:
> The print server I'm using (Hawking HPS1U) with my network, which
> consists of a couple of Fedora machines and a couple of M$ machines, has
> no Linux support that I can find on their web site, however, the on-disk
> manual has a unix install section. I initially configured it using the
> included software on an XP computer, then set the printer up on the
> Fedora computers with drivers provided with Cups.

That would be a problem for me. I've no XP machine to do that with. I
suppose that it could be done with an XP virtual machine, but if that
is the case then I'm not going for it. I'll not support a company that
forces me into using an expensive, unsafe, unstable proprietary
operating system of their choice.

> The HPS1U is completely configurable via a web browser once it has an IP
> address. The manual says IP is enabled by default. I won't have time for
> several days to re-set it to defaults and give it a try.
>
> I'm thinking that the print driver and not the print server hardware is
> the determining factor as to whether or not a multifunction printer will
> work with a networked printer.

Sounds logical. I don't know the nitty gritty of how it works, so I
thought that maybe there was no actually communication between the
Fedora box and the printer itself, rather just documents going Fedora
-> Print Server -> Printer and no facility for Printer -> Fedora
communication (as a scanner would need).

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:22 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 02/12/2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Fred Erickson wrote:
> >
> > The HPS1U is completely configurable via a web browser once it has an IP
> > address. The manual says IP is enabled by default. I won't have time for
> > several days to re-set it to defaults and give it a try.
> >
> > I'm thinking that the print driver and not the print server hardware is
> > the determining factor as to whether or not a multifunction printer will
> > work with a networked printer.
> >
> Dumb question - Does a multi-function device show up as more then
> one USB device? (1 for the printer, and another for the scanner?
> Maybe another for the FAX?) I ask because I never tried plugging in
> my MFD using USB - it is network enabled, so I have always used it
> that way. I did have to use a network-aware SANE driver for it. It
> also has different print queues for FAX and printing.
>
> Mikkel

I'll check that when I get home. I know that the KDE tools contain the
necessary print drivers as I've set that up a hundred times, but the
scanner I've configured maybe once or twice and I don't remember.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 AM
"Jorge Boscan Etura"

check the linksys SLUG2 it runs linux

2007/12/2, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> On 02/12/2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> > Fred Erickson wrote:
> > >
> > > The HPS1U is completely configurable via a web browser once it has an IP
> > > address. The manual says IP is enabled by default. I won't have time for
> > > several days to re-set it to defaults and give it a try.
> > >
> > > I'm thinking that the print driver and not the print server hardware is
> > > the determining factor as to whether or not a multifunction printer will
> > > work with a networked printer.
> > >
> > Dumb question - Does a multi-function device show up as more then
> > one USB device? (1 for the printer, and another for the scanner?
> > Maybe another for the FAX?) I ask because I never tried plugging in
> > my MFD using USB - it is network enabled, so I have always used it
> > that way. I did have to use a network-aware SANE driver for it. It
> > also has different print queues for FAX and printing.
> >
> > Mikkel
>
> I'll check that when I get home. I know that the KDE tools contain the
> necessary print drivers as I've set that up a hundred times, but the
> scanner I've configured maybe once or twice and I don't remember.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

[Jorge J. Boscán Etura]
quando omni flunkus moritatus