Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Sound permission problem

Hi!

I'm running Fedora F7, without X. I'm able to do 'mplayer <url>' for
one user at a time. However, I'm not able to do 'mplayer <url>' for
one user, and then 'mplayer <another-url>' as another user. Then I get
the following error message:

[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:831snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to
create IPC semaphore
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Permission denied

It's not important to me to play mplayer that way, however, I want to
be able to run speech-dispathcer (which, BTW should have an rpm pacage
for Fedora) and play mplayer at the same time. How could I solve this
permission problem?

I've tried to put in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms:

<console> 0666 <sound> 0600 root,

and ls -al /dev/audio gives:

crw-rw-rw-+ 1 lrs root 14, 4 2007-11-29 10:00 /dev/audio

Lars

Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 PM

Hello, list!
Does anyone know the solution to my problem?

Thank you!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:59 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> Hello, list!
> Does anyone know the solution to my problem?
>
> Thank you!
>
> lars.bjorndal@broadpark.no (Lars Bjørndal) writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm running Fedora F7, without X. I'm able to do 'mplayer <url>' for
>> one user at a time. However, I'm not able to do 'mplayer <url>' for
>> one user, and then 'mplayer <another-url>' as another user. Then I get
>> the following error message:
>>
>> [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:831snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to
>> create IPC semaphore
>> [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Permission denied
>>
>> It's not important to me to play mplayer that way, however, I want to
>> be able to run speech-dispathcer (which, BTW should have an rpm pacage
>> for Fedora) and play mplayer at the same time. How could I solve this
>> permission problem?
>>
>> I've tried to put in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms:
>>
>> <console> 0666 <sound> 0600 root,
>>
>> and ls -al /dev/audio gives:
>>
>> crw-rw-rw-+ 1 lrs root 14, 4 2007-11-29 10:00 /dev/audio
>>

>> Lars

Dumb question - is the first user's mplayer closed before the second
user tries to run their copy of mplayer? I am not familiar with the
error message, but I am guessing that the problem is that something
has a connection to the mixer open, and so you can not open another.
If that is the case, you may be able to do something using the jack
add-ons to alsa.

Mikkel

Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 AM

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> writes:

> Lars Bjørndal wrote:
>> lars.bjorndal@broadpark.no (Lars Bjørndal) writes:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm running Fedora F7, without X. I'm able to do 'mplayer <url>' for
>>> one user at a time. However, I'm not able to do 'mplayer <url>' for
>>> one user, and then 'mplayer <another-url>' as another user. Then I get
>>> the following error message:
>>>
>>> [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:831snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to
>>> create IPC semaphore
>>> [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Permission denied
>>>
>>> It's not important to me to play mplayer that way, however, I want to
>>> be able to run speech-dispathcer (which, BTW should have an rpm pacage
>>> for Fedora) and play mplayer at the same time. How could I solve this
>>> permission problem?
>>>
>>> I've tried to put in /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms:
>>>
>>> <console> 0666 <sound> 0600 root,
>>>
>>> and ls -al /dev/audio gives:
>>>
>>> crw-rw-rw-+ 1 lrs root 14, 4 2007-11-29 10:00 /dev/audio
>>>
>>> Lars
>>
> Dumb question - is the first user's mplayer closed before the second
> user tries to run their copy of mplayer? I am not familiar with the
> error message, but I am guessing that the problem is that something
> has a connection to the mixer open, and so you can not open another.
> If that is the case, you may be able to do something using the jack
> add-ons to alsa.

To your question: I tried to run two instances of mplayer at the same
time. And: I'm able to run two mplayer sessions at the same time from
the same user. The problem raises if I first start mplayer for user1,
then switches to user2 and start mplayer. Mplayer is still running on
user1. Any suggestions?

Lars

Old 11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Lars Bjørndal wrote:
>> Dumb question - is the first user's mplayer closed before the second
>> user tries to run their copy of mplayer? I am not familiar with the
>> error message, but I am guessing that the problem is that something
>> has a connection to the mixer open, and so you can not open another.
>> If that is the case, you may be able to do something using the jack
>> add-ons to alsa.
>
> To your question: I tried to run two instances of mplayer at the same
> time. And: I'm able to run two mplayer sessions at the same time from
> the same user. The problem raises if I first start mplayer for user1,
> then switches to user2 and start mplayer. Mplayer is still running on
> user1. Any suggestions?
>
> Lars

From your description, I suspect that the problem is not in the
permission of the ALSA devices, but in what the error message called
"IPC semaphore". I am guessing that this is a socket of some kind
that lets mplayer communicate with the mixer controls. Mplayer if
probably creating it in /tmp, and because user 1 has one there, user
2 can not create one, and does not have permission to use the one
created by user 1. (mplayer is probably trying to use the same name.)

Now, there is something called jack that lets you get fancy with the
ALSA and different audio sources. Think of it as an audio patch
panel. There is also a mplayer plugin that gives you a jack output.
I have never tried it, but it may let you combine the mplayer output
from two different users. I know it will let you mix the audio
output from several programs, each with its own level control. I do
not know if it will work with the speech-dispathcer. On the other
hand, if speech-dispathcer is not trying to control the mixer, it
may work with your current setup.

Mikkel