-   -   yum doesn't remove old package files (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/8106-yum-doesnt-remove-old-package-files.html)

Nico Sabbi 11-29-2007 08:57 AM

yum doesn't remove old package files

Hi,
a proof of $Subject:

[nico@nico2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8

[root@nico2 ~]# du -sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.*
6,8M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6
20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
43M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9

Obviously
rpm -qif on /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6 and on /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
reported that the directories weren't owned by any package.
Same problem with kernel modules (that occupied a much
larger amount of space).
Why aren't these files removed? I run yum clean all regularly.
Is there a way to purge entirely old packages?

Thanks,
Nico

Jorge Fábregas 11-29-2007 10:27 AM

On Thursday 29 November 2007 05:57:08 am Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Why aren't these files removed? I run yum clean all regularly.
> Is there *a way to purge entirely old packages?

That's really weird but I don't have that problem. I'm also running FC8 and my
system is totally updated and I just have /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9 (and none
of the previous versions).

Did you manually (via rpm) install the versions after the stock one (2.0.0.6)?

Jorge

Nico Sabbi 11-29-2007 10:34 AM

Il Thursday 29 November 2007 12:27:57 Jorge Fábregas ha scritto:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 05:57:08 am Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > Why aren't these files removed? I run yum clean all regularly.
> > Is there *a way to purge entirely old packages?
>
> That's really weird but I don't have that problem. I'm also running
> FC8 and my system is totally updated and I just have
> /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9 (and none of the previous versions).
>
> Did you manually (via rpm) install the versions after the stock one
> (2.0.0.6)?
>
> Jorge

most likely I let pirut update the previous package

Joachim Backes 11-29-2007 10:40 AM

Jorge Fábregas wrote:

Why aren't these files removed? I run yum clean all regularly.
Is there a way to purge entirely old packages?

That's really weird but I don't have that problem. I'm also running FC8 and my
system is totally updated and I just have /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9 (and none
of the previous versions).

Did you manually (via rpm) install the versions after the stock one (2.0.0.6)?

Jorge

Hi,

use "keepcache=0" in /etc/yum.conf (man yum.conf).

University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany

Nico Sabbi 11-29-2007 10:45 AM

Il Thursday 29 November 2007 12:40:01 Joachim Backes ha scritto:
> Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 November 2007 05:57:08 am Nico Sabbi wrote:
> >> Why aren't these files removed? I run yum clean all regularly.
> >> Is there a way to purge entirely old packages?
> >
> > That's really weird but I don't have that problem. I'm also
> > running FC8 and my system is totally updated and I just have
> > /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9 (and none of the previous versions).
> >
> > Did you manually (via rpm) install the versions after the stock
> > one (2.0.0.6)?
> >
> > Jorge
>
> Hi,
>
> use "keepcache=0" in /etc/yum.conf (man yum.conf).

it's already at 0:

[root@nico2 etc]# cat yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
keepcache=0
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exactarch=1
obsoletes=1
gpgcheck=0
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800
installonly_limit=2

it's not even overridden in any of the repository definitions

Tim 11-29-2007 11:06 AM

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 12:40 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> use "keepcache=0" in /etc/yum.conf (man yum.conf).

That's something completely different (about keeping the downloaded
files kept in /var/cache/yum*), the original poster's asking about older
installed files being left over.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

"Michael Schwendt" 11-29-2007 11:09 AM

On 29/11/2007, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Hi,
> a proof of $Subject:
>
> [nico@nico2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
> firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8
> firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8
>
> [root@nico2 ~]# du -sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.*
> 6,8M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6
> 20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
> 43M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9
>
> Obviously
> rpm -qif on /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6 and on /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
> reported that the directories weren't owned by any package.

You draw wrong conclusions. The directories _are_ owned by the firefox
package with the corresponding version. It's just that when the old
package was removed, the directory was not empty and contained _files_
that don't belong into the firefox package, and RPM _can't_ remove the
directory then. So, what files do you still find in the two old
directories?

> Why aren't these files removed? I run yum clean all regularly.

"yum clean all" is completely unrelated.

Tim 11-29-2007 11:11 AM

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 10:57 +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> a proof of $Subject:

Which yum, and which release of Fedora?

> [nico@nico2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
> firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8
> firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8

[tim@suspishus abc891]$ rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc7

> [root@nico2 ~]# du -sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.*
> 6,8M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6
> 20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
> 43M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9

[tim@suspishus abc891]$ du -sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.*
20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.5
20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
45M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9

The first two just have plugins directories inside them, and symlinks to
the flashplayer plugin inside the plugins directory. I'd imagine that
since I had installed a plugins, that firefox updates didn't remove
prior firefox directories.

> Why aren't these files removed?

Don't know. Without seeing a listing of what's in yours, we can't tell
why it's still there. You might have had a failure during an update,
there might be something in there that ought to be kept.

> I run yum clean all regularly.

That's to do with the yum download cache, not the installed files.

> Is there a way to purge entirely old packages?

Manual file deletions...

Nico Sabbi 11-29-2007 11:27 AM

Il Thursday 29 November 2007 13:09:29 Michael Schwendt ha scritto:
> On 29/11/2007, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > Hi,
> > a proof of $Subject:
> >
> > [nico@nico2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
> > firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8
> > firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8
> >
> > [root@nico2 ~]# du -sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.*
> > 6,8M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6
> > 20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
> > 43M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9
> >
> > Obviously
> > rpm -qif on /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6 and on
> > /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8 reported that the directories weren't
> > owned by any package.
>
> You draw wrong conclusions. The directories _are_ owned by the
> firefox package with the corresponding version. It's just that when
> the old package was removed, the directory was not empty and
> contained _files_ that don't belong into the firefox package, and
> RPM _can't_ remove the directory then. So, what files do you still
> find in the two old directories?

now there's nothing, because I removed them.
anyway, when I install extensions I always do it
as ordinary users from within firefox itself (that is,
without using rpm or yum), so I can't have
installed files in there (unless some other
.rpm does it; maybe some .rpm extension? )

Nico Sabbi 11-29-2007 11:31 AM

Il Thursday 29 November 2007 13:11:44 Tim ha scritto:
> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 10:57 +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > a proof of $Subject:
>
> Which yum, and which release of Fedora?

FC8, yum-3.2.7-1.fc8

> > [nico@nico2 ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
> > firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8
> > firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc8
>
> [tim@suspishus abc891]$ rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
> firefox-2.0.0.9-1.fc7
>
> > [root@nico2 ~]# du -sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.*
> > 6,8M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.6
> > 20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
> > 43M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9
>
> [tim@suspishus abc891]$ du -sh /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.*
> 20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.5
> 20K /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.8
> 45M /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9
>
> The first two just have plugins directories inside them, and
> symlinks to the flashplayer plugin inside the plugins directory.
> I'd imagine that since I had installed a plugins, that firefox
> updates didn't remove prior firefox directories.

shouldn't the rpm scripts move the plugins to the new directory?

> > Why aren't these files removed?
>
> Don't know. Without seeing a listing of what's in yours,

sorry, I deleted them

> we can't
> tell why it's still there. You might have had a failure during an
> update, there might be something in there that ought to be kept.
>
> > I run yum clean all regularly.
>
> That's to do with the yum download cache, not the installed files.
>
> > Is there a way to purge entirely old packages?
>
> Manual file deletions...

I bet that yum is supposed to do it, not the user :)