Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Jorge Fábregas

Default yum doesn't remove old package files

On Thursday 29 November 2007 08:09:29 am Michael Schwendt wrote:
> It's just that when the old package was removed, the directory was not empty
> and contained _files_ that don't belong into the firefox package, and RPM
> _can't_ remove the directory then.

That's a good one Michael. I never thought about this. That's pretty sure his
problem.

Nico: Try to recreate the problem. Uninstall all your firefox versions and
instlal the stock one. Then put some file in the firefox directory and then
run yum update. See if the old directory is there... Do it again without
putting the file in the directory and notice that is removed when you
upgrade...

Jorge

Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Nico Sabbi

Il Thursday 29 November 2007 13:39:30 Jorge Fábregas ha scritto:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 08:09:29 am Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > It's just that when the old package was removed, the directory
> > was not empty and contained _files_ that don't belong into the
> > firefox package, and RPM _can't_ remove the directory then.
>
> That's a good one Michael. I never thought about this. That's
> pretty sure his problem.
>
> Nico: Try to recreate the problem. Uninstall all your firefox
> versions and instlal the stock one. Then put some file in the
> firefox directory and then run yum update. See if the old directory
> is there... Do it again without putting the file in the directory
> and notice that is removed when you upgrade...
>
> Jorge

$ rpm -qa | grep -i firefox
firefox-2.0.0.10-1.fc8
firefox-2.0.0.10-1.fc8

$ls -laR /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9/
/usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9/:
totale 88
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 29 nov 17:26 .
drwxr-xr-x 70 root root 73728 29 nov 17:25 ..
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 27 nov 14:41 updates

/usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9/updates:
totale 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 27 nov 14:41 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 29 nov 17:26 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 27 nov 14:42 0

/usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9/updates/0:
totale 8

Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM
"Michael Schwendt"

On 29/11/2007, Nico Sabbi wrote:

> $ls -laR /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9/
> /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.9/:
> totale 88
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 29 nov 17:26 .
> drwxr-xr-x 70 root root 73728 29 nov 17:25 ..
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 27 nov 14:41 updates

This directory is not included in the firefox package. Its presence
prevents RPM from removing the parent directory. If it is Firefox that
created this directory (and its contents) at run-time, this means that
something should have cleaned up the empty directories, too.
Alternatively, files which are created at run-time but not included in
a package can be marked as %ghost in a package order to delete them
when the package is uninstalled.

Cannot tell more about this particular directory. Is it related to the
Firefox Updates feature (which is disabled in the Fedora packages)?