Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 AM
Steven Stern

Default Adding a partition to existing LVM

I had installed Fedora on a dual-boot system using default partition,
where Windows had the first partitions on both drives, C and D. I've
removed the D partition to give that to Fedora. Although it looks like
the logical volume is 74GB larger, df is showing the same 143GB as before.

How do I get Fedora LVM to use all of the space?

Following instructions from various Googled sources, I created a
partition /dev/sdb1(formerly D) and added it to VolGroup00

# pvdisplay
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sda3
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 74.32 GB / not usable 8.80 MB
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size (KByte) 32768
Total PE 2378
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 2378
PV UUID ZQ0z6V-iME2-7hNv-8oFY-CPz1-I3p9-qr0UIC

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sdb2
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 74.31 GB / not usable 25.11 MB
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size (KByte) 32768
Total PE 2377
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 2377
PV UUID stTPob-H2GB-5TiA-br1Z-tfp1-nveK-qr83m1

--- Physical volume --- ##### THIS IS THE NEW ONE ######
PV Name /dev/sdb1
VG Name VolGroup00
PV Size 74.74 GB / not usable 23.00 MB
Allocatable yes
PE Size (KByte) 32768
Total PE 2391
Free PE 105
Allocated PE 2286
PV UUID LZTmnI-3TY7-2Ch8-h08E-VQA0-XVzN-jAtEYD

It looks like the LV increased in size by the extra 74GB

# lvdisplay
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID OIyFZ7-cfpt-BCiN-x51g-KWki-D3df-XTm3Ll
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 218.09 GB
Current LE 6979
Segments 4
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0
Block device 253:0

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
VG Name VolGroup00
LV UUID pxWlHu-qCUk-9K3E-RK6i-DFJb-OyDN-2nEmmh
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 1.94 GB
Current LE 62
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0
Block device 253:1

# more /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

- --

Steve

Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 AM
Steven Stern

On 11/28/2007 11:01 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
> [...]
> Read ahead sectors 0
> Block device 253:0
>
> --- Logical volume ---
> LV Name /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
> VG Name VolGroup00
> LV UUID pxWlHu-qCUk-9K3E-RK6i-DFJb-OyDN-2nEmmh
> LV Write Access read/write
> LV Status available
> # open 1
> LV Size 1.94 GB
> Current LE 62
> Segments 1
> Allocation inherit
> Read ahead sectors 0
> Block device 253:1
>

> # more /etc/fstab
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

I forgot to paste this in:

# vgdisplay
--- Volume group ---
VG Name VolGroup00
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 3
Metadata Sequence No 7
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 2
Open LV 2
Max PV 0
Cur PV 3
Act PV 3
VG Size 223.31 GB
PE Size 32.00 MB
Total PE 7146
Alloc PE / Size 7041 / 220.03 GB
Free PE / Size 105 / 3.28 GB
VG UUID 6lbl9Q-GpHX-VqBT-GRnI-u2YF-8Elj-0REx16

- --

Steve

Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Steven Stern wrote:
> I had installed Fedora on a dual-boot system using default partition,
> where Windows had the first partitions on both drives, C and D. I've
> removed the D partition to give that to Fedora. Although it looks like
> the logical volume is 74GB larger, df is showing the same 143GB as before.

So, you added the space to the logical volume. Did you then resize the
filesystem inside that logical volume?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 AM
Steven Stern

Old 11-29-2007, 05:43 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Steven Stern wrote:
>>> So, you added the space to the logical volume. Did you then resize the
>>> filesystem inside that logical volume?
>>>

> That may be the part I'm missing. I was working through
> http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Expanding_Linux_Partitions_with_LVM#Extending_LVM_ partition,
> I used lvextend, but I'm unable to unmount and remount the volume
> because it's mounted as /.
>
> The next step in the described process is to use ext2online, but that is
> not installed on my system. yum provides ext2online comes up empty.

I think you you are looking for is: resize2fs

>From its man page:

> The resize2fs program will resize ext2 or ext3 file systems. It can be used to enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on
> device. If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of the mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-
> line resizing. (As of this writing, the Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted using ext3 only.).

Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Steven Stern

On 11/29/2007 12:43 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Steven Stern wrote:
>>>>
>> That may be the part I'm missing. I was working through
>> http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Expanding_Linux_Partitions_with_LVM#Extending_LVM_ partition,
>> I used lvextend, but I'm unable to unmount and remount the volume
>> because it's mounted as /.
>>
>> The next step in the described process is to use ext2online, but that is
>> not installed on my system. yum provides ext2online comes up empty.
>
> I think you you are looking for is: resize2fs
>
>>From its man page:
>
>> The resize2fs program will resize ext2 or ext3 file systems. It can be used to enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on
>> device. If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of the mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-
>> line resizing. (As of this writing, the Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted using ext3 only.).
>
> Good Luck!

Thanks! Problem solved.

# resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
resize2fs 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
Filesystem at /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is mounted on /; on-line resizing
required
old desc_blocks = 10, new_desc_blocks = 14
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 to 57171968
(4k) blocks.
The filesystem on /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is now 57171968 blocks long.

[root@sds-desk ~]# df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
212G 90G 111G 45% /

- --