Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Bob St John

Default "Unitialized disk entity" after upgrade to FC7?

Folks,

I upgraded from FC6 to FC7 and many applications that I had on FC6 fail
to start on FC7.

I apparently have some uninitialized disk partitions:

/dev/sda1 = / root (EXT3)
/dev/sda2 = Unmounted Windows XP partition (dual boot system)
/dev/sda3 = Unmounted EXT3 partition
/dev/sda4 = Unmounted SWAP partition

I suspect that /etc/fstabs is important in this case:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda4 swap swap defaults 0 0

What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks . . .

Bob St. John

Old 11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
"Mark Haney"

Bob St John wrote:

Folks,

I upgraded from FC6 to FC7 and many applications that I had on FC6 fail
to start on FC7.

I apparently have some uninitialized disk partitions:

/dev/sda1 = / root (EXT3)
/dev/sda2 = Unmounted Windows XP partition (dual boot system)
/dev/sda3 = Unmounted EXT3 partition
/dev/sda4 = Unmounted SWAP partition

I suspect that /etc/fstabs is important in this case:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda4 swap swap defaults 0 0

What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks . . .

Bob St. John

At first glance it looks like those partitions aren't labeled in fstab,
indeed a couple of them aren't even in fstab.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 PM
peter volsted

Bob

In your on-disk version of 'Release Notes' find the URL for the updated
online version and read about the necessity to label your partitions and
correct your fstab.

kind regards

peter

Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Bob St John

Peter,

Thanks for the pointer. I tried to use e2label to label all partitions
and got:

bash-3.2# e2label /dev/sda2 ntfs
e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda2
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

So I think I've got a more complex problem. Any thoughts?

Bob St. John

Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Rick Stevens

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:03 -0500, Bob St John wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for the pointer. I tried to use e2label to label all partitions
> and got:
>
> bash-3.2# e2label /dev/sda2 ntfs
> e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda2
> Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
>
> So I think I've got a more complex problem. Any thoughts?

Why are you trying to use e2label on an NTFS filesystem? That won't
work. You need ntfslabel ("yum install ntfsprogs").

Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Bob St John

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 15:22 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 18:03 -0500, Bob St John wrote:
> > Peter,
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. I tried to use e2label to label all partitions
> > and got:
> >
> > bash-3.2# e2label /dev/sda2 ntfs
> > e2label: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda2
> > Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
> >
> > So I think I've got a more complex problem. Any thoughts?
>
> Why are you trying to use e2label on an NTFS filesystem? That won't
> work. You need ntfslabel ("yum install ntfsprogs").

Yes, that was a bad example for me to document . . . sorry about that.

But I can't even run yum anymore. I get:

There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

No module named rpm

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.5 (r25:51908, Apr 10 2007, 10:27:40)
[GCC 4.1.2 20070403 (Red Hat 4.1.2-8)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

In general, most of my "administrative" applications don't run after the
upgrade to FC7.