Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Ric Moore

Default xev is indeed nifty, need assist on 2 wheel mouse

Discovered xev on another list, but it is installed on FC7. xev will
open a little window for you to play with all of your mouse buttons and
scroll wheel in. Just use a terminal window to launch it on the command
line with "xev". It's really simplistic and sweet, pushing your mouse
buttons will tell you what xorg button number is seen with the button
press.

I just hooked in an USB GE two scroll wheel optical mouse. One scroll
wheel is slightly behind the the normal clickable one that is seen. Plus
there are two other buttons on the left side. xev sees:
Left main button : 1
Scroll wheel button : 2
Right main button : 3
Scroll wheel forward : 4
Scroll wheel back : 5
2nd Scroll wheel forward: 6
2nd Scroll wheel back : 7
First Side button : 8
Second Side button : 9

Using the original xorg.conf, when I unplugged the PS2 mouse and plugged
in the USB mouse, the second scroll wheel was seen as buttones #6 and
#7. Well, I DINKED with xorg.conf and now it's not seen at all. I
restored the original xorg.conf file and it still is not seen now.
<sigh>

I used the mouse-driver man page found at http://www.die.net which
explained the defs used for mice in xorg.conf.

Question 1: option "buttons" should be listed as "buttons" "9" or
"buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" or "buttons" "1 2 3 8 9" when you have 9
expected buttons or 5 actual buttons with 4 5 6 7 assigned to scroll
wheel buttons? It's not plain and several other web pages found by
google show options "buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 " instead of a single number
for a single scroll wheel mouse with three switches and two scroll wheel
switches. God, I hope I'm not confusing everyone.

Question 2: what is the difference in the use of ZAxisMapping,
XAxisMapping, YAxisMapping??
I've tried: Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7" and

option "XAxisMapping" "4 5"
option "YAxisMapping" "6 7"

--- none seem to work. But I know that at first, before I screwed with
everything that buttons 6 and 7 were reported in use by xev. Now they do
not respond. Someone shoot me now or help me from the darkness. I need
the relief either way. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Ric Moore wrote:
> Discovered xev on another list, but it is installed on FC7. xev will

/usr/bin/xev can be found in the xorg-x11-utils RPM

> open a little window for you to play with all of your mouse buttons and
> scroll wheel in. Just use a terminal window to launch it on the command
> line with "xev". It's really simplistic and sweet, pushing your mouse
> buttons will tell you what xorg button number is seen with the button
> press.

IFAICR, its been a part of X11 for a long time. X11R3?

> I just hooked in an USB GE two scroll wheel optical mouse. One scroll
> wheel is slightly behind the the normal clickable one that is seen. Plus
> there are two other buttons on the left side. xev sees:
> Left main button : 1
> Scroll wheel button : 2
> Right main button : 3
> Scroll wheel forward : 4
> Scroll wheel back : 5
> 2nd Scroll wheel forward: 6
> 2nd Scroll wheel back : 7
> First Side button : 8
> Second Side button : 9
>
> Using the original xorg.conf, when I unplugged the PS2 mouse and plugged
> in the USB mouse, the second scroll wheel was seen as buttones #6 and
> #7. Well, I DINKED with xorg.conf and now it's not seen at all. I
> restored the original xorg.conf file and it still is not seen now.
> <sigh>

I've been fartzing with with my X11 after my FC5->F8 upgrade, and my
Logitech MX1000 mouse isn't working right yet. The old "InputDevice"
section in my old xorg.conf produces a NULL, no core pointer error.
Funny, it used to work OK under FC5.

> I used the mouse-driver man page found at http://www.die.net which
> explained the defs used for mice in xorg.conf.
>
> Question 1: option "buttons" should be listed as "buttons" "9" or
> "buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" or "buttons" "1 2 3 8 9" when you have 9
> expected buttons or 5 actual buttons with 4 5 6 7 assigned to scroll
> wheel buttons? It's not plain and several other web pages found by
> google show options "buttons" "1 2 3 4 5 " instead of a single number
> for a single scroll wheel mouse with three switches and two scroll wheel
> switches. God, I hope I'm not confusing everyone.

nope, its just not common knowledge, because most 2 and 3 button mice
just work "out of the box".

> Question 2: what is the difference in the use of ZAxisMapping,
> XAxisMapping, YAxisMapping??
> I've tried: Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7" and
>
> option "XAxisMapping" "4 5"
> option "YAxisMapping" "6 7"

IIRC, ZAxisMapping is usually used for your scroll wheel, to map it from
the "button events" generated by the mouse driver. X and Y axis stuff
is usually the mouse movement.

> --- none seem to work. But I know that at first, before I screwed with
> everything that buttons 6 and 7 were reported in use by xev. Now they do
> not respond. Someone shoot me now or help me from the darkness. I need
> the relief either way. Ric

Not very well documented black magic. B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:44:53 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> Question 1: option "buttons"

In the newer versions of X all mice seem to have 9 buttons
and if you actually give a "buttons" option in the mouse
input device definition it will instead generate a new
random number of buttons rather than using the number
you said (at least that seems to be my experience :-). Best
to just leave off the "buttons" option.

>Question 2: what is the difference in the use of ZAxisMapping,
>XAxisMapping, YAxisMapping??

ZAxisMapping is for the vertical scroll operations and as far
as I know always needs exactly two button numbers as arguments
(one for scroll up, the other for down). I'd assume X and Y
are similar for different scroll directions (though I'm not sure
why Z is for vertical scrolling, you'd think that would be Y :-).

I use a usb trackball with 4 buttons and a scroll ring in addition
to the ball (a kensington expert mouse) and getting it setup was
a little tricky. Here's the input device section I wound up with:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "DragLockButtons" "2 1"
EndSection

The "auto" protocol was important. There are uncounted zillions
of things you can apparently say there, all utterly undocumented,
but "Auto" means "Hey, X, figure it out for yourself!" which is the
only setting I ever got to work for any mouse :-).

I have no idea where /dev/input/mice comes from either, but it
has always worked, so that's what I use.

The drag lock is important to me with a trackball, but probably
not so important for a regular mouse. The definition above says
that button 2 when clicked once will act as though button 1 is
held down until I click again (it is very difficult to hold down
a button and roll the mouse at the same time :-).

That may seem like I have "used up" the real button two, but I
also have the following Xmodmap entry defined:

! Setup buttons for trackball
pointer = 1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 9

That swaps buttons 2 and 8. The confusing part is that you have to
use the pre-xmodmap button numbers in xorg.conf.

I turn off the emulate 3 buttons since I really have 4 buttons, I
don't need the emulation.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 21:26 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> > --- none seem to work. But I know that at first, before I screwed with
> > everything that buttons 6 and 7 were reported in use by xev. Now they do
> > not respond. Someone shoot me now or help me from the darkness. I need
> > the relief either way. Ric
>
> Not very well documented black magic. B^)

Well, thanks for explaining about XAxis and YAxis, now I'm ahead by that
much!! At least I know that it isn't about the scroll buttons. I'm
learning something new, at least. Of course the several toilet paper
sized pages, that is called "Reference guide", call for installing the
Windows Drivers from the CD and rebooting the computer. <sigh> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar