Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   ZFS in Fedora? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/7833-zfs-fedora.html)

Dave Stevens 11-28-2007 11:17 PM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What Sun's
OpenSolaris Means For Open Source

Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses the
next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free downloads
are now available. " This is at:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683

Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware of a
port?

Dave
--
Alexis Soyer, that Napoleon of the kitchen, to celebrate the ending of the
Crimea war, served up a dish which he called a Culinary Emblem of Peace,
containing among many other ingredients twelve boxes of lobsters and 200
eggs.

- H.W. Tilman

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

John Summerfield 11-28-2007 11:31 PM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
Dave Stevens wrote:
In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What Sun's
OpenSolaris Means For Open Source


Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses the
next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free downloads
are now available. " This is at:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683

Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware of a
port?


Try google. I think there are licence problems.
--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu Z1aaaaaaa@coco.merseine.nu
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Aly Dharshi 11-28-2007 11:32 PM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
Depends on the licensing they have release the software under to the
opensource world. I think its not in the GPL family ! There is a fuse
type implementation.


/ASD

Dave Stevens wrote:
In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What Sun's
OpenSolaris Means For Open Source


Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses the
next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free downloads
are now available. " This is at:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683

Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware of a
port?


Dave


--
Aly S.P Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net
Got TELUS TV ? http://www.telus.com/tv or 310-MYTV

"A good speech is like a good dress
that's short enough to be interesting
and long enough to cover the subject"

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Rick Stevens 11-28-2007 11:35 PM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:17 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What Sun's
> OpenSolaris Means For Open Source
>
> Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses the
> next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free downloads
> are now available. " This is at:
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683
>
> Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware of a
> port?

Unless they changed some stuff, parts of ZFS aren't GPLv2-compliant (it
was developed under Sun's CDDL), so you really put it in the kernel
without some legal issues. You can use it safely under FUSE, but it'll
be slower than as a kernel module.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer rstevens@internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc. http://www.internap.com -
- -
- Consciousness: that annoying time between naps. -
----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

11-29-2007 12:10 AM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
----- Original Message ----
From: Rick Stevens <rstevens@internap.com>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:35:55 PM
Subject: Re: ZFS in Fedora?


On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:17 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What
Sun's
> OpenSolaris Means For Open Source
>
> Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses
the
> next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free
downloads
> are now available. " This is at:
>
* http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683
>
> Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware
of a
> port?

Unless they changed some stuff, parts of ZFS aren't GPLv2-compliant (it
was developed under Sun's CDDL), so you really put it in the kernel
without some legal issues.* You can use it safely under FUSE, but it'll
be slower than as a kernel module.


A FUSE module might be usable, but wouldn't it be awesome if the atrpms or livna people provided a kmdl or kmod for it?

BTW, what is the difference between a kmod and a kmdl?

Joh
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Konstantin Svist 11-29-2007 12:22 AM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
cromworshipper-fedorastuff@yahoo.com wrote:



----- Original Message ----
From: Rick Stevens <rstevens@internap.com>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 4:35:55 PM
Subject: Re: ZFS in Fedora?

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:17 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What
Sun's

> OpenSolaris Means For Open Source
>
> Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses
the
> next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free
downloads

> are now available. " This is at:
>
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683

>
> Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone
aware of a

> port?

Unless they changed some stuff, parts of ZFS aren't GPLv2-compliant (it
was developed under Sun's CDDL), so you really put it in the kernel
without some legal issues. You can use it safely under FUSE, but it'll
be slower than as a kernel module.


A FUSE module might be usable, but wouldn't it be awesome if the
atrpms or livna people provided a kmdl or kmod for it?


BTW, what is the difference between a kmod and a kmdl?

Joh


As I understand it, the repos (including livna & atrpms) do not do any
software development. They have their hands full just building the
package binaries and maintaining the proper versions/etc.


That said, I agree - it would be really awesome if someone made ZFS work
on linux natively. I'd even take a "build your own kernel to make this
work.. here are the patches.. no support.. have fun!" -- but not even
that is likely to happen.
For now, I'm holding my breath for brtfs (which is due a few years from
now, I suppose)



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Alan Cox 11-29-2007 08:31 AM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:17:02 -0800
Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:

> In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What Sun's
> OpenSolaris Means For Open Source
>
> Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses the
> next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free downloads
> are now available. " This is at:
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683
>
> Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware of a
> port?

Sun have so far not made it available under GPLv2, and it isn't clear a
parallel implementation done from scratch under GPLv2 would not fall foul
of their patents. They've so far not replied to requests to clarify that.

At the moment ZFS is also subject to lawsuits between NetApp and Sun.

Alan

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Les Mikesell 11-29-2007 01:01 PM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
Alan Cox wrote:


In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What Sun's
OpenSolaris Means For Open Source


Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses the
next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free downloads
are now available. " This is at:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683

Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware of a
port?


Sun have so far not made it available under GPLv2, and it isn't clear a
parallel implementation done from scratch under GPLv2 would not fall foul
of their patents. They've so far not replied to requests to clarify that.

At the moment ZFS is also subject to lawsuits between NetApp and Sun.



Has anyone considered a fedora/RH userland on top of an OpenSolaris
kernel like the Nexenta project does with Ubuntu? Their recent work
seems to be on commercially supported storage appliance software though
and I'm not quite sure why the user side even matters there.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

"Rudolf Kastl" 11-30-2007 11:18 AM

ZFS in Fedora?
 
On Nov 29, 2007 2:01 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> >> In an article in Information Week on November 5, 2007 I read, "What Sun's
> >> OpenSolaris Means For Open Source
> >>
> >> Sun Microsystems has turned its Solaris operating system, which uses the
> >> next-generation ZFS file system, into an open-source project; free downloads
> >> are now available. " This is at:
> >> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202802683
> >>
> >> Does this mean that ZFS can be implemented in Fedora? Is anyone aware of a
> >> port?
> >
> > Sun have so far not made it available under GPLv2, and it isn't clear a
> > parallel implementation done from scratch under GPLv2 would not fall foul
> > of their patents. They've so far not replied to requests to clarify that.
> >
> > At the moment ZFS is also subject to lawsuits between NetApp and Sun.
> >
>
> Has anyone considered a fedora/RH userland on top of an OpenSolaris
> kernel like the Nexenta project does with Ubuntu? Their recent work
> seems to be on commercially supported storage appliance software though
> and I'm not quite sure why the user side even matters there.

Well how about having GNU/Hurd imported into rawhide ;) atleast it
doesent have licensing problems.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

>
> --
> Les Mikesell
> lesmikesell@gmail.com
>
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
>

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.