FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Serial Port Bug? Solved

Karl Larsen wrote:

Lamar Owen wrote:

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:


Lamar Owen wrote:


Is the serial port enabled in the BIOS?




I have looked and found nothing in the many pages of BIOS things
but

I could of missed it.



What model Biostar MB is this? All their manuals are online; older
ones especially included screenshots of the setup screens. Look for,
in the 'integrated peripherals' setup section the 'COM1' and 'COM2'
settings (the names might be different; I don't have a Biostar board
in front of me (got one at home, though, that I might put on the
breadboard and check out)).




This is from #setserial -a /dev/ttyS0:

[root@k5di ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq





This I think is good.



UART is unknown; no, this is bad. If the kernel can't detect the
type of UART (it will likely be 16550A or similar for virtually all
modern MB's) then it can't use the port.


On my own laptop, which does not have ANY serial ports:
[root@localhost ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq

[root@localhost ~]#
So setserial doesn't help troubleshoot this.


On the box with one serial port:
[root@itadmin ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test

[root@itadmin ~]#
UART is a 16550A, and works.


OK I do not have a manual about BIOS. If they have one I will get it!



I dropped to the Bios. Your telling me it is in Integrated
Periferals did the trick. I had to hit enter on one I never have before
and there was Serial Port 1 disabled! I got it set to auto and now it works!


I d/l the manual but it is a .exe file and I no windows to open it :-)


Thank You Lamar.




--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 PM
fred smith
 
Default Serial Port Bug? Solved

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 02:34:09PM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >Lamar Owen wrote:
> >>On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >>
> >>>Lamar Owen wrote:
> >>>
> >>>>Is the serial port enabled in the BIOS?
> >>>>
> >>
> >>
> >>> I have looked and found nothing in the many pages of BIOS things
> >>>but
> >>>I could of missed it.
> >>>
> >>
> >>What model Biostar MB is this? All their manuals are online; older
> >>ones especially included screenshots of the setup screens. Look for,
> >>in the 'integrated peripherals' setup section the 'COM1' and 'COM2'
> >>settings (the names might be different; I don't have a Biostar board
> >>in front of me (got one at home, though, that I might put on the
> >>breadboard and check out)).
> >>
> >>
> >>> This is from #setserial -a /dev/ttyS0:
> >>>
> >>>[root@k5di ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
> >>>/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> >>> Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> >>> closing_wait: 3000
> >>> Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>>This I think is good.
> >>>
> >>
> >>UART is unknown; no, this is bad. If the kernel can't detect the
> >>type of UART (it will likely be 16550A or similar for virtually all
> >>modern MB's) then it can't use the port.
> >>
> >>On my own laptop, which does not have ANY serial ports:
> >>[root@localhost ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
> >>/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> >> Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> >> closing_wait: 3000
> >> Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq
> >>
> >>[root@localhost ~]#
> >>So setserial doesn't help troubleshoot this.
> >>
> >>On the box with one serial port:
> >>[root@itadmin ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
> >>/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
> >> Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> >> closing_wait: 3000
> >> Flags: spd_normal skip_test
> >>
> >>[root@itadmin ~]#
> >>UART is a 16550A, and works.
> >>
> > OK I do not have a manual about BIOS. If they have one I will get it!
> >
> >
> >
> I dropped to the Bios. Your telling me it is in Integrated
> Periferals did the trick. I had to hit enter on one I never have before
> and there was Serial Port 1 disabled! I got it set to auto and now it works!

Great!

>
> I d/l the manual but it is a .exe file and I no windows to open it :-)

Karl, sometimes files like that are self-extracting zip files, on the
off-chance that this one is too, you may try "unzip -v filename.exe" and
see if you strike it lucky.


--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.
------------------------------ Philippians 4:13 -------------------------------
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Serial Port Bug? Solved

fred smith wrote:

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 02:34:09PM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:


Karl Larsen wrote:


Lamar Owen wrote:


On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:



Lamar Owen wrote:



Is the serial port enabled in the BIOS?



I have looked and found nothing in the many pages of BIOS things
but

I could of missed it.


What model Biostar MB is this? All their manuals are online; older
ones especially included screenshots of the setup screens. Look for,
in the 'integrated peripherals' setup section the 'COM1' and 'COM2'
settings (the names might be different; I don't have a Biostar board
in front of me (got one at home, though, that I might put on the
breadboard and check out)).





This is from #setserial -a /dev/ttyS0:

[root@k5di ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq




This I think is good.


UART is unknown; no, this is bad. If the kernel can't detect the
type of UART (it will likely be 16550A or similar for virtually all
modern MB's) then it can't use the port.


On my own laptop, which does not have ANY serial ports:
[root@localhost ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test auto_irq

[root@localhost ~]#
So setserial doesn't help troubleshoot this.


On the box with one serial port:
[root@itadmin ~]# setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
closing_wait: 3000
Flags: spd_normal skip_test

[root@itadmin ~]#
UART is a 16550A, and works.



OK I do not have a manual about BIOS. If they have one I will get it!




I dropped to the Bios. Your telling me it is in Integrated
Periferals did the trick. I had to hit enter on one I never have before
and there was Serial Port 1 disabled! I got it set to auto and now it works!



Great!



I d/l the manual but it is a .exe file and I no windows to open it :-)



Karl, sometimes files like that are self-extracting zip files, on the
off-chance that this one is too, you may try "unzip -v filename.exe" and
see if you strike it lucky.




No luck. I tried and unzip prints a lot of can't do it stuff :-)

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Tim
 
Default Serial Port Bug? Solved

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 14:34 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> I d/l the manual but it is a .exe file and I no windows to open it :-)

Use an emulator? Just to read a manual seems silly, but if you have
to... Otherwise, you could send it to someone with windows for them to
unpack it for you.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
important to the thread.)

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
I read messages from the public lists.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Serial Port Bug? Solved

Tim wrote:

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 14:34 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:


I d/l the manual but it is a .exe file and I no windows to open it :-)



Use an emulator? Just to read a manual seems silly, but if you have
to... Otherwise, you could send it to someone with windows for them to
unpack it for you.


My work laptop has windows and linux. I will see if the windows
still works :-)




--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Serial Port Bug? Solved

Tim wrote:

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 14:34 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:


I d/l the manual but it is a .exe file and I no windows to open it :-)



Use an emulator? Just to read a manual seems silly, but if you have
to... Otherwise, you could send it to someone with windows for them to
unpack it for you.


I put the manual on a stick and then tried to get winXT to unload
it. For god's sake windows complained it can't open it! It must be a bad
file.


Shucks.


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:18 PM
"Lamar Owen"
 
Default Serial Port Bug? Solved

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> and there was Serial Port 1 disabled! I got it set to auto and now it
> works!

> Thank You Lamar.

You're welcome, Karl. Glad it wasn't actually broken.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
1 PARI Drive
Rosman, NC 28772
(828)862-5554
www.pari.edu

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org