Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Craig White

Default alfresco installation?

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 18:50 -0800, Jeff Gustafson wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 21:34 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > i may be misreading stuff badly, but i don't see how it's even
> > *remotely* possible that alfresco, out of the box, is going to install
> > on fedora 8. check out the "start_oo.sh" script that's installed and
> > is invoked when you try to start alfresco:
>

> I don't run the script. I get the war distribution called
> 'alfresco-community-war-2.1.0.tar.gz'. It's located at:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=143373&package_id=157460&re lease_id=524558
>
> I untar'd it... and the rest is described in my message.
> I hate that so many java applications out there have to install their
> own jdk. Thankfully Alfresco comes with a raw .war version that can be
> installed into an existing tomcat/jdk environment.
> The only thing my description does not do is start OpenOffice on
> bootup. I figure a simple startup script should fix that. I have run
> the headless mode manually in a separate login session and it works fine
> communicating to it.
> So, Alfresco does run on F8's (and F7) Tomcat as long as you get Sun's
> 1.6 jdk/jre.
----
OK - you got my interest here now that I've had some time to check out
alfresco

Do you really want to run Fedora 8 instead of RHELv5 or CentOS-5 ?

How much RAM is this going to need for 3-10 users?

Craig

Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Craig White wrote:

> OK - you got my interest here now that I've had some time to check
> out alfresco
>
> Do you really want to run Fedora 8 instead of RHELv5 or CentOS-5 ?

sure, why not? is there some reason one shouldn't?

> How much RAM is this going to need for 3-10 users?

i don't know, i haven't had time to test that far yet. but i've
documented my admittedly newbie-level efforts here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Alfresco_on_Fedora_8

have at it. report back.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 11-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 14:51 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Craig White wrote:
>
> > OK - you got my interest here now that I've had some time to check
> > out alfresco
> >
> > Do you really want to run Fedora 8 instead of RHELv5 or CentOS-5 ?
>
> sure, why not? is there some reason one shouldn't?

----
my thinking is strictly in terms of short lifetime projection of Fedora
8 (approx 12-14 months)

Craig

Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Les Mikesell

Craig White wrote:

[...]

I followed the same directions on Centos5 with the exceptions of picking
up the Sun jdk from the OpenNMS yum repository, and having to track down
the mysql-connector-java-5.0.8-1jpp.noarch.rpm from somewhere (it would
have been standard in fedora). The web side came up OK, but now I want
the cifs share...

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Les Mikesell

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

OK - you got my interest here now that I've had some time to check
out alfresco

Do you really want to run Fedora 8 instead of RHELv5 or CentOS-5 ?

sure, why not? is there some reason one shouldn't?

You'll probably want the stuff you do in alfresco to survive longer than
the lifespan of a fedora release and upgrades can be painful. And there
is a much greater chance of system problems being introduced by updates
within a release in fedora (at least in my experience).

How much RAM is this going to need for 3-10 users?

i don't know, i haven't had time to test that far yet. but i've
documented my admittedly newbie-level efforts here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Alfresco_on_Fedora_8

have at it. report back.

Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Alfresco_on_Fedora_8
> >
> > have at it. report back.
>
> Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with
> Centos5 with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a
> stock package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?

beats me. but if someone figures it out, let me know and i'll add it
to the page. (i'll update the issue regarding the
mysql-connector-java package for CentOS shortly.)

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca

Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Craig White

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >> OK - you got my interest here now that I've had some time to check
> >> out alfresco
> >>
> >> Do you really want to run Fedora 8 instead of RHELv5 or CentOS-5 ?
> >
> > sure, why not? is there some reason one shouldn't?
>
> You'll probably want the stuff you do in alfresco to survive longer than
> the lifespan of a fedora release and upgrades can be painful. And there
> is a much greater chance of system problems being introduced by updates
> within a release in fedora (at least in my experience).
>
> >> How much RAM is this going to need for 3-10 users?
> >
> > i don't know, i haven't had time to test that far yet. but i've
> > documented my admittedly newbie-level efforts here:
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Alfresco_on_Fedora_8
> >
> > have at it. report back.
>
> Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
> with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
> package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?
----
does it read/depend upon smb.conf from samba?

Do you have to configure samba shares?

Craig

Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Les Mikesell

Craig White wrote:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Alfresco_on_Fedora_8

have at it. report back.
Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?

----
does it read/depend upon smb.conf from samba?

Do you have to configure samba shares?

I suppose we should actually read some documentation, but I was under
the impression that alfresco was pure java and it's cifs share is a
virtual view subject to the same rules as the web side so it shouldn't
have anything to do with samba and probably can't share an IP address
with it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Craig White

> >> Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
> >> with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
> >> package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?
> > ----
> > does it read/depend upon smb.conf from samba?
> >
> > Do you have to configure samba shares?
>
> I suppose we should actually read some documentation, but I was under
> the impression that alfresco was pure java and it's cifs share is a
> virtual view subject to the same rules as the web side so it shouldn't
> have anything to do with samba and probably can't share an IP address
> with it.
----
sorry, I shouldn't have opened my mouth...I'm only in the thinking about
it stage and stopped at the recognition that I don't really have even a
suitable workstation to install it on as a trial and trying to figure
out if I just bite the bullet and buy a new rack server on the bet that
I can make it function and it will be useful to us.

and I definitely haven't even located document 1 of installation and
configuration. I have noticed that it's somewhat difficult to navigate
through everything on their web site & wiki.

Craig

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Craig White

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >> OK - you got my interest here now that I've had some time to check
> >> out alfresco
> >>
> >> Do you really want to run Fedora 8 instead of RHELv5 or CentOS-5 ?
> >
> > sure, why not? is there some reason one shouldn't?
>
> You'll probably want the stuff you do in alfresco to survive longer than
> the lifespan of a fedora release and upgrades can be painful. And there
> is a much greater chance of system problems being introduced by updates
> within a release in fedora (at least in my experience).
>
> >> How much RAM is this going to need for 3-10 users?
> >
> > i don't know, i haven't had time to test that far yet. but i've
> > documented my admittedly newbie-level efforts here:
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Alfresco_on_Fedora_8
> >
> > have at it. report back.
>
> Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
> with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
> package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?
----
literally 'stumbled' into this

http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/CIFS_linux

Craig