FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default alfresco installation?

Craig White wrote:

Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?

----
literally 'stumbled' into this

http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/CIFS_linux



Their DNS was screwed up when I was looking for this a few days ago -
looks like everything is back to normal now. That bundle includes a jvm
and tomcat that you might not want, but installing it on a virtual
machine might give you a hint about what all has to be started besides
tomcat.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Craig White
 
Default alfresco installation?

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:31 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >> Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
> >> with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
> >> package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?
> > ----
> > literally 'stumbled' into this
> >
> > http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/CIFS_linux
> >
>
> Their DNS was screwed up when I was looking for this a few days ago -
> looks like everything is back to normal now. That bundle includes a jvm
> and tomcat that you might not want, but installing it on a virtual
> machine might give you a hint about what all has to be started besides
> tomcat.
----
yeah, I got the thread info from Jeff Gustafson suggesting the war
install and now parsing through the installation manual, that makes the
most sense.

if I buy a new server, would you suggest that I install CentOS/RHEL-xen
and run this as a virtual machine?

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Les Mikesell
 
Default alfresco installation?

Craig White wrote:

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:31 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

Craig White wrote:

Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?

----
literally 'stumbled' into this

http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/CIFS_linux

Their DNS was screwed up when I was looking for this a few days ago -
looks like everything is back to normal now. That bundle includes a jvm
and tomcat that you might not want, but installing it on a virtual
machine might give you a hint about what all has to be started besides
tomcat.

----
yeah, I got the thread info from Jeff Gustafson suggesting the war
install and now parsing through the installation manual, that makes the
most sense.

if I buy a new server, would you suggest that I install CentOS/RHEL-xen
and run this as a virtual machine?


No, that was just a suggestion for a test install to figure out how it
works. Once you know where everything belongs, java provides enough of
a virtualization layer.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Craig White
 
Default alfresco installation?

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 20:41 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:31 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> Craig White wrote:
> >>
> >>>> Your instructions for setting up under tomcat work the same with Centos5
> >>>> with the exception of the mysql-connector-java not being a stock
> >>>> package. Is some other service needed for the cifs side?
> >>> ----
> >>> literally 'stumbled' into this
> >>>
> >>> http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/CIFS_linux
> >>>
> >> Their DNS was screwed up when I was looking for this a few days ago -
> >> looks like everything is back to normal now. That bundle includes a jvm
> >> and tomcat that you might not want, but installing it on a virtual
> >> machine might give you a hint about what all has to be started besides
> >> tomcat.
> > ----
> > yeah, I got the thread info from Jeff Gustafson suggesting the war
> > install and now parsing through the installation manual, that makes the
> > most sense.
> >
> > if I buy a new server, would you suggest that I install CentOS/RHEL-xen
> > and run this as a virtual machine?
>
> No, that was just a suggestion for a test install to figure out how it
> works. Once you know where everything belongs, java provides enough of
> a virtualization layer.
----
well, considering that I really don't have a server (or even a desktop
system) around that I can adequately set up and test, I'm thinking that
this might be a good time to strong arm the boss and buy a new server
that actually has hardware support for virtualization.

Thus I am thinking that I could get a rack server with sufficient hard
drive space, 4 GB RAM and a couple of Xeon processors, wait until
CentOS-5.1 and set up so that I could have LTSP & alfresco running under
xen...this makes sense to me, do this make sense to you?

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default alfresco installation?

Craig White wrote:


if I buy a new server, would you suggest that I install CentOS/RHEL-xen
and run this as a virtual machine?
No, that was just a suggestion for a test install to figure out how it
works. Once you know where everything belongs, java provides enough of
a virtualization layer.

----
well, considering that I really don't have a server (or even a desktop
system) around that I can adequately set up and test, I'm thinking that
this might be a good time to strong arm the boss and buy a new server
that actually has hardware support for virtualization.


The free vmware server will run on about anything if it has enough RAM
to give some to the guest(s).



Thus I am thinking that I could get a rack server with sufficient hard
drive space, 4 GB RAM and a couple of Xeon processors, wait until
CentOS-5.1 and set up so that I could have LTSP & alfresco running under
xen...this makes sense to me, do this make sense to you?


I'm not sure I see the point of virtualizing something that runs fine on
the native OS and that you expect to run unchanged for a long time. On
the other hand, I'd certainly recommend getting an up to date system
with processors that can virtualize 64-bit guests just because those
things are so much faster than the old boxes and you can run a couple of
test instances without bothering your main system. I haven't set up
xen, so I can't compare it against vmware, except that vmware's ability
to run the same guest image on windows/linux/mac hosts has been handy
for me.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org