Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Tim

Default Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 08:34 -0300, Heitor Moraes wrote:
> I'll only bottom-post if that were a list for answers for a list of
> question.

This list comes with a set of instructions, pay attention to them.

It's up to you to conform to the list expectations, not the other way
around. The etiquette of the list was established long before you
joined. You only shoot yourself in the foot by pissing off the
regulars.

You come off as even more of a dingbat for calling Ric a kid,
considering that he's anything but a youngster.

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Steve Lindemann

Ric Moore wrote:

Top posting is universally despised among Linux and Usenet users for
years and doing so is the mark of a newbie user who comes from a
Windows-centric background, where such things are condoned like having
drive letters instead of names.

I've been trying to explain to one of my windoze centric co-workers why
top posting is not appropriate and couldn't find the right words. Thank
you! List ettiquete has always been a contentious issue, right from the
beginning when we etched our missives using rock tablets (I vaguely
remember it 8^) but I've always read from left to right and top to
bottom and it's hard, for me anyway, to go at it backwards.

--
Steve Lindemann __
Network Administrator // ASCII Ribbon Campaign

Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
"bruce"

oh god...

lawd, here we go again!! in san fran, bottom posting is cool...

i thing someone also stated that they once prefered side posting as well...

this thing happens a couple of times a year.. when the posting police on
various sites say "here's the correct" way to post dammit!!

nothing new here.. move on...!!

peace..

Old 04-24-2008, 03:49 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Steve Lindemann <steve@marmot.org> wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > Top posting is universally despised among Linux and Usenet users for
> > years and doing so is the mark of a newbie user who comes from a
> > Windows-centric background, where such things are condoned like having
> > drive letters instead of names.
> >

> I've been trying to explain to one of my windoze centric co-workers why top
> posting is not appropriate and couldn't find the right words. Thank you!
> List ettiquete has always been a contentious issue, right from the beginning
> when we etched our missives using rock tablets (I vaguely remember it 8^)
> but I've always read from left to right and top to bottom and it's hard, for
> me anyway, to go at it backwards.

For whatever reason, outlook users seem handicapped when it comes to
bottom posting. I have bottom posted a few times in replies to them
and they have simply not seen the message

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:47 AM, bruce <bedouglas@earthlink.net> wrote:

> oh god...
>
> lawd, here we go again!! in san fran, bottom posting is cool...
>
> i thing someone also stated that they once prefered side posting as well...
>
> this thing happens a couple of times a year.. when the posting police on
> various sites say "here's the correct" way to post dammit!!
>
> nothing new here.. move on...!!
>
> peace..

At the very least it seems like the courteous thing to do.

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 04-24-2008, 03:55 PM
"bruce"

i've long argued, for years...

that the person who starts a thread should get to decide which kind of
posting (top,side,bottom,left,right,zebra,etc..) that they want to use!!

peace!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 09:21 -0600, Steve Lindemann wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > Top posting is universally despised among Linux and Usenet users for
> > years and doing so is the mark of a newbie user who comes from a
> > Windows-centric background, where such things are condoned like having
> > drive letters instead of names.
>
> I've been trying to explain to one of my windoze centric co-workers why
> top posting is not appropriate and couldn't find the right words. Thank
> you! List ettiquete has always been a contentious issue, right from the
> beginning when we etched our missives using rock tablets (I vaguely
> remember it 8^) but I've always read from left to right and top to
> bottom and it's hard, for me anyway, to go at it backwards.

A: Because it makes threads harder to follow.
Q: Why is top-posting frowned on?

poc

Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 08:55 -0700, bruce wrote:
> i've long argued, for years...
>
> that the person who starts a thread should get to decide which kind of
> posting (top,side,bottom,left,right,zebra,etc..) that they want to use!!
>
> peace!

The first message in a thread is the only one, so the question is moot
at that point in time. Or are you advocating a declaration of thread
rules every time someone starts a thread?

poc

Old 04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Les Mikesell

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

For whatever reason, outlook users seem handicapped when it comes to
bottom posting. I have bottom posted a few times in replies to them
and they have simply not seen the message

In business scenarios (more likely with outlook), top posting seems to
be the norm. Replies are usually faster and you are not likely to need
to see the previous content to understand the response, but you may
still want it there for later reference or if you need to include
someone in the conversation that didn't see it at first. On internet
mailing lists, though, many people will see the replies that don't have
any reason to remember the context so they will want to see that first
with the reply placed in line.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Les Mikesell

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

that the person who starts a thread should get to decide which kind of
posting (top,side,bottom,left,right,zebra,etc..) that they want to use!!

peace!

The first message in a thread is the only one, so the question is moot
at that point in time. Or are you advocating a declaration of thread
rules every time someone starts a thread?

You are missing the point of internet mailing lists, which is that many,
many, more people read them than are involved in the initial post or
reply threads. The formatting should cater to these folks who may not
be particularly interested until some late point in the conversation -
or may run across an isolated message from a search and need to be able
to follow it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com