Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 AM

Default Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Old 04-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 20:35 -0300, Heitor Moraes wrote:
> i believe... you believe... As I said... We will never know.
>
> PS: I prefer bottom post only for lists of questions.

This list asks bottom post only, unless you are replying within the
original text.
It's just how it's done here. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 03:46 +0000, g wrote:

> nothing wrong with top posting
>
> Ric Moore wrote:
> >> I would really appreciate if every one bottom posted, its much easier to read.
> >
> > Thank you, Arthur. +1
>
> or bottom posting if who ever is posting who cut out all of the waste they
> leave.
>
> thirty lines of old post just to add line or two at top or bottom is
> just a bit much tho.

It would help if you kept the original post tied to the actual poster.
You attribute "Ric Moore wrote", when the next line was Arthur's. I
wrote the next line reading "thank you" and the +1 following. It's
obvious some of you have not been on Linux lists for any length of
time.

Top posting is universally despised among Linux and Usenet users for
years and doing so is the mark of a newbie user who comes from a
Windows-centric background, where such things are condoned like having
drive letters instead of names.

While I do welcome you, however, learning and following local
conventions is the mark of a man of respect, in any social setting. Keep
it up, others will call you on it. That's just how it is. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Manuel Aróstegui

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 02:59 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> It would help if you kept the original post tied to the actual poster.
> You attribute "Ric Moore wrote", when the next line was Arthur's. I
> wrote the next line reading "thank you" and the +1 following. It's
> obvious some of you have not been on Linux lists for any length of
> time.
>
> Top posting is universally despised among Linux and Usenet users for
> years and doing so is the mark of a newbie user who comes from a
> Windows-centric background, where such things are condoned like having
> drive letters instead of names.
>
> While I do welcome you, however, learning and following local
> conventions is the mark of a man of respect, in any social setting. Keep
> it up, others will call you on it. That's just how it is. Ric

Touché, Ric

Manuel.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> While I do welcome you, however, learning and following local
> conventions is the mark of a man of respect, in any social setting. Keep
> it up, others will call you on it. That's just how it is. Ric

Just to further clarify, this is preferred purely due to the fact it
is easier to deal with.

I (for example) don't remember every email posted in a thread, plus
there are 1 or 2 people whose emails I specifically do not read. So
bottom posting (or even better inline posting) really makes reading
and comprehending easier. Appropriate trimming also helps.

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM

Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 03:46 +0000, g wrote:
> nothing wrong with top posting

I could argue against that, but I'll just say don't do it places that
you're not supposed to, which includes this list. Read the guidelines
for it. You should have been informed about this when you subscribed.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 16:29 -0700, Paul Shaffer wrote:
> Just to clarify, I don't disagree with Fedora's approach to the
> licensing and software patent issues at all. In fact, I think it's
> quite admirable. Just maybe not the best way to build user base for a
> distro that is ostensibly for "lazy" users.

Since when was *this* distribution aimed at them? Fedora's touted as
bleeding edge, for those that want that sort of thing. Ubuntu's the one
targeted at the lazy user - the Windows user who's sick of Windows, but
doesn't realise they'd like to use a Mac. ;-)

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Alan Cox

> Yes, I Ubuntu/Canonical are based in Isle of Man (that Island between
> England and Ireland) on paper. ..the recent EU decisions

The Isle of Man is not part of the European Union. Its a British operated
tax haven.

Alan

Old 04-24-2008, 11:34 AM
"Heitor Moraes"

Kid,

I started to go online with Red Hat Hurricane at 98.
At that time, BBS were the only kind of "online public universe" we
had here in Brazil.
And since that time, loots of kids like you always doing this
"flamewars" about top posting and then start to offend with this "you
are newbie" argument.

A Guideline is not a rulebook, and it's not suppose do be.
It's a way to make our lives easier.

I really think that "trim" + "top-posts" is easier to read.
And as not been mandatory...
I'll only bottom-post if that were a list for answers for a list of question.