Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Alan Cox

Default Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

> The license specifically states that you don't have to accept it to
> receive the rights it confers.

I would read that paragraph again if I was you

"However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions are
prohibited by law if you do not accept this License"

Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Matthew Saltzman

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 10:36 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > The license specifically states that you don't have to accept it to
> > receive the rights it confers.
>
> I would read that paragraph again if I was you
>
> "However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
> distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions are
> prohibited by law if you do not accept this License"

But you don't in fact have to take any action to acknowledge that you
accept the terms (as you do with most, if not all, proprietary
licenses). You simply have to act in accordance with them. In
particular, you can make any use of the code that you like--including
compiling it, running it, modifying it, linking it with proprietary
libraries, etc.--all with no obligation on your part to the author or
the distributor you received it from. You just can't redistribute the
results if they are not in compliance. And if they are in compliance,
you can go ahead and distribute them, and you still owe no obligation to
the author or distributor.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 04-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Les Mikesell

Alan Cox wrote:
The license specifically states that you don't have to accept it to
receive the rights it confers.

I would read that paragraph again if I was you

"However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
distribute the Program or its derivative works. These actions are
prohibited by law if you do not accept this License"

I was describing the case where someone distributes additional different
code that links to an unmodified GPL'd library - and perhaps to other
libraries as well. That might be in the form of source that links at
compile time (as in the RIPEM case) or something that uses dynamic
libraries. The person distributing the additional code has no need to
modify or distribute anything covered by the GPL. The only possible
claim against the additional code is that it is a derived work, which
depends on knowing that no equivalent library exists under other terms.
And as far as I know, no such theory has been tested in court.

There's also a more complicated issue where programs with dynamic
depending on circumstances. For example a perl script might load the
readline library if it is available and also a proprietary database
client library - with the choice of database type made by the user at
install time. If this makes a covered combined work, who would be
responsible for the violation? Multimedia players that load plugin
codecs on demand would raise a similar question.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Ed Greshko

This is like deja vu all over again.

This is when all the folks that proclaim IANAL spout paragraphs that seem to
indicate IWBAL.

But yet....

I am sure this "discussion" has come up on this list more than one time in
the past. At some point in time I start to sing one of the tunes from "Lost
Horizon".......

"The World is a circle without a beginning and nobody knows where it really
ends. Everything depends on where you are in the circle that never begins.

Nobody knows where the circle ends.".....

And in the end, nothing new....nothing productive...comes to pass...

Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> This is like deja vu all over again.
>
> This is when all the folks that proclaim IANAL spout paragraphs that seem
> to indicate IWBAL.
>
> But yet....
>
> I am sure this "discussion" has come up on this list more than one time in
> the past. At some point in time I start to sing one of the tunes from "Lost
> Horizon".......
>
> "The World is a circle without a beginning and nobody knows where it really
> ends. Everything depends on where you are in the circle that never begins.
> Nobody knows where the circle ends.".....
>
> And in the end, nothing new....nothing productive...comes to pass...

So life is pointless? Anyway a lot comes out, maybe a few people get
their eyes opened, maybe some people who don't have a clue get
motivated to dig a little deeper , we are just pebbles getting tossed
in the pond are we not? who knows what effect our ripples might have,
for better or worse we cannot get through life without causing them.

Max

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Ed Greshko

max bianco wrote:

So life is pointless?

Life is not....

But this "discussion" is...

Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Robin Laing

max bianco wrote:

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

max bianco wrote:

Adobe Flash is something I can't for the life of me figure out why
anyone would use. You can't kill the adds like you can with gnash and
it leaves a gaping security hole in everything it touches.

Because it is the closest thing we have to a universal video format. Pure
and simple, if I want to put out something like a "How to assemble" or a
video of a meeting, I could do wmv for the MS folk, and ogg for the Linux
folk, and {can't remember} for the Mac folk (I have a script for ffmpeg), or
I can do flash and everyone can use it.

If you want to communicate with others, and view their communication with
you, flash is the format to use.

If you never communicate with the outside world, it's optional.

Wouldn't it make sense for a universal video format to open?

I agree with you here but until there is one, flash is a great
compromise. At least Adobe is getting better at support.

--
Robin Laing

Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Claude Jones

On Monday April 28 2008 5:17:45 pm max bianco wrote:
> > If you want to communicate with others, and view their
> > communication with you, flash is the format to use.
> >
> > If you never communicate with the outside world, it's
> > optional.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense for a universal video format to open?

how 'bout if we took all the money back that was spent on the
Iraq war and spent it on hydrogen fuel and fusion research...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 PM
"max bianco"

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Claude Jones <cjones@levitjames.com> wrote:
> On Monday April 28 2008 5:17:45 pm max bianco wrote:
> > > If you want to communicate with others, and view their
> > > communication with you, flash is the format to use.
> > >
> > > If you never communicate with the outside world, it's
> > > optional.
> >
> > Wouldn't it make sense for a universal video format to open?
>
> how 'bout if we took all the money back that was spent on the
> Iraq war and spent it on hydrogen fuel and fusion research...

That would be great!! You should be President!! Why don't you start
working on that !!

Max

Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Craig White

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 15:14 -0400, max bianco wrote:

> > > Wouldn't it make sense for a universal video format to open?
> >
> > how 'bout if we took all the money back that was spent on the
> > Iraq war and spent it on hydrogen fuel and fusion research...
> >
> That would be great!! You should be President!! Why don't you start
> working on that !!
----
don't ya think that before you nominate him that you ought to find out
who is pastor is?

Craig