-   -   Layer 7 Load Balancer (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/741-layer-7-load-balancer.html)

Luc MAIGNAN 11-19-2007 06:21 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

Hi everybody,

My problem : I have two mails servers and I want to distribute incoming
mails to a server depending of the domain (e.g. somebody@domain1.com to
server1 and somebody@domain2.com to server2)

The solution I've thought : setup a layer 7 load balancer. I've seen
KTCPVS, but it seems very old.

My questions : Is KTCPVS integrated to F8 ? Is there another solution
for my problem or to switch ?

Any help would be appreciated

Best regards

"Mark Haney" 11-19-2007 06:26 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:

Hi everybody,

My problem : I have two mails servers and I want to distribute incoming
mails to a server depending of the domain (e.g. somebody@domain1.com to
server1 and somebody@domain2.com to server2)

Any help would be appreciated

Best regards

Uh, why? Is there some reason DNS won't do what you need? With 2
separate domains, just point your MX record to the correct server.

Or am I missing something obvious here?

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Luc MAIGNAN 11-19-2007 06:29 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

No, because the MX of the two domains points to the same IP (services
are dispatched behind this IP)

"Mark Haney" 11-19-2007 06:32 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

Mark Haney a écrit :

Uh, why? Is there some reason DNS won't do what you need? With 2
separate domains, just point your MX record to the correct server.

Or am I missing something obvious here?

Can you add a second IP to the mix? I mean doing something like a L7
load balancer seems a bit overkill for this. Or, how about a mail
gateway that routes accordingly?

Luc MAIGNAN 11-19-2007 06:35 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

No, in the company we only have one ADSL line, so one fixed ip address.
Can you tell me more about a mail gateway solution ?

Srikanth Konjarla 11-19-2007 06:37 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

Do you have a mail system (MTA) that can route based on the domain part
of the e-mail?

Srikanth

"Mark Haney" 11-19-2007 06:52 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

Mark Haney a écrit :

Uh, why? Is there some reason DNS won't do what you need? With 2
separate domains, just point your MX record to the correct server.

Or am I missing something obvious here?

Can you add a second IP to the mix? I mean doing something like a L7
load balancer seems a bit overkill for this. Or, how about a mail
gateway that routes accordingly?

Okay, first things first, please don't top post, I can't keep track of
the thread that way.

As for a mail gateway, you really should have one mail server on the
front that takes all incoming mail for both domains and then forwards
those mails to 2 other servers based on the domain name. It's a fairly
common practice.

I've setup similar systems using MIMEDefang as one way to route after
the mail gets to the gateway server, or using DNS on the gateway server
to route those domains after receipt.

Les Mikesell 11-19-2007 06:52 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

Luc MAIGNAN wrote:

My problem : I have two mails servers and I want to distribute
incoming mails to a server depending of the domain (e.g.
somebody@domain1.com to server1 and somebody@domain2.com to server2)

Uh, why? Is there some reason DNS won't do what you need? With 2
separate domains, just point your MX record to the correct server.

Or am I missing something obvious here?

> No, because the MX of the two domains points to the same IP (services
> are dispatched behind this IP)

Nothing at the IP level can distinguish inbound connections for the
different destinations and they are all going to be connecting to port
25. However, you can configure sendmail at that IP address (or wherever
you direct port 25) to accept for both domains and relay to the other
one at an address specified in mailertable. The problem you'll have
with this is that the first machine won't know the users on the other
domain and will relay everything. If you get a lot of spam to
non-existent users, then the real server will reject them and the relay
will have to construct and try to deliver a bounce, clogging up your
queues. To avoid that you might use virtusertable to list all the valid
recipients at the other domain and a default rejection if they don't
change too much, or something like MimeDefang which can check the real
host for the recipient via smpt before accepting at all.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Luc MAIGNAN 11-19-2007 06:53 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

Yes, you're true for the ip level. It's why I'm looking for a layer 7
(application level) solution. For instance, I'm using postfix not sendmail.

Have you a postfix based solution ?

"Fernando Gozalo" 11-19-2007 07:09 PM

Layer 7 Load Balancer

> Yes, you're true for the ip level. It's why I'm looking for a layer 7
> (application level) solution. For instance, I'm using postfix not
> sendmail.
>
> Have you a postfix based solution ?

Have a look to relay_domains and transport_maps parameters. And this for
reference:
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#firewall

Regards.
Fernando.