Old 11-28-2007, 03:48 PM
"Alastair McKinley"

Default command line gmail in fedora?

Hi everyone,

Am I currently running Fedora Core 4 on a remote machine which I use over ssh.
I would like to be able to send email from the command line from my
gmail account to mail myself data files and graphs and such that I
generate on this box.

I tried to follow an online guide to setup Gmail for sending and
recieving but got lost half way through with SSL certs.

I actually dont want to receive my gmail on this box, just send from it.
So what are the steps required to set up to send email from Gmail?

Are there any particular difficulties with gmail? I could
alternatively use my non web-based university email account if that
would be easier, but again im not sure of the steps/applications
required.

Thanks for any help!!

Best regards,

Alastair

Old 11-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:48:20 +0000
Alastair McKinley <amckinley03@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Are there any particular difficulties with gmail?

If by "difficulties" you mean more complicated, the answer is yes.

> I could
> alternatively use my non web-based university email account if that
> would be easier, but again im not sure of the steps/applications
> required.

Look at this:

http://www.cleancode.org/projects/email

Old 11-28-2007, 05:22 PM
"Alastair McKinley"

Wow! I installed email and got it working with my uni account in about
1 minute, fantastic.

Thanks a lot!

Alastair

Old 11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Neil Cherry

Alastair McKinley wrote:

Hi everyone,

Am I currently running Fedora Core 4 on a remote machine which I use over ssh.
I would like to be able to send email from the command line from my
gmail account to mail myself data files and graphs and such that I
generate on this box.

I tried to follow an online guide to setup Gmail for sending and
recieving but got lost half way through with SSL certs.

I actually dont want to receive my gmail on this box, just send from it.
So what are the steps required to set up to send email from Gmail?

Are there any particular difficulties with gmail? I could
alternatively use my non web-based university email account if that
would be easier, but again im not sure of the steps/applications
required.

Would this be help to you:

http://www.linuxha.com/other/sendmail/gmail.html

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 16:48 +0000, Alastair McKinley wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Am I currently running Fedora Core 4 on a remote machine which I use over ssh.
> I would like to be able to send email from the command line from my
> gmail account to mail myself data files and graphs and such that I
> generate on this box.
>
> I tried to follow an online guide to setup Gmail for sending and
> recieving but got lost half way through with SSL certs.
>
> I actually dont want to receive my gmail on this box, just send from it.
> So what are the steps required to set up to send email from Gmail?
>
> Are there any particular difficulties with gmail? I could
> alternatively use my non web-based university email account if that
> would be easier, but again im not sure of the steps/applications
> required.
>
> Thanks for any help!!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alastair

Why exactly could you not use the mail command or mutt , both which are
command line oriented, to send yourself mail.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:27 AM
"Dave Burns"

On Nov 28, 2007 1:01 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Why exactly could you not use the mail command or mutt , both which are
> command line oriented, to send yourself mail.

I think he just wanted to use gmail's smtp server is all. Using mutt
or mail is okay, he just doesn't know how to configure them to use
gmail for smtp. Or maybe I don't get it either.
Dave

Old 11-29-2007, 06:03 PM
"Alastair McKinley"

On Nov 29, 2007 2:27 AM, Dave Burns <tburns@hawaii.edu> wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2007 1:01 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Why exactly could you not use the mail command or mutt , both which are
> > command line oriented, to send yourself mail.
>
> I think he just wanted to use gmail's smtp server is all. Using mutt
> or mail is okay, he just doesn't know how to configure them to use
> gmail for smtp. Or maybe I don't get it either.
> Dave

Yea basically I wanted to use gmail's smtp, but couldnt find out quite
how to make it work.
Turns out making it work with my uni account was much easier.
I could have used mutt but I tried email first, and it was very simple
and just what I need.

Thanks for your help!

Alastair