Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM
"Jorge Boscan Etura"

Default networkmanager

Hi

How can I disable/configure nm-applet for no to ask for a pass keyring thing?

thanks--

--
[Jorge J. Boscán Etura]
quando omni flunkus moritatus

Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 17:00 +0100, Jorge Boscan Etura wrote:
> Hi
>
> How can I disable/configure nm-applet for no to ask for a pass keyring thing?
>
> thanks--
You don't say what version of NM you are using. But for now NM can't be
used without entering the passphrase.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Matthew Saltzman

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 17:33 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 17:00 +0100, Jorge Boscan Etura wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > How can I disable/configure nm-applet for no to ask for a pass keyring thing?
> >
> > thanks--
> You don't say what version of NM you are using. But for now NM can't be
> used without entering the passphrase.

All versions of NM use the keyring, but I believe the OP is objecting to
the fact that the keyring password needs to be entered the first time
the keyring is accessed after login. This is a keyring issue, not a NM
issue.

There used to be a package called pam-keyring that you could install and
configure so that, if the keyring and login passwords were the same, no
keyring prompt would be required. In F8, that functionality was to be
replaced by gnome-keyring-pam. That package is there, but it doesn't
seem to work reliably yet.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 AM
"Jorge Boscan Etura"

Thank you Matt, I'll give it a try

Old 11-29-2007, 06:55 AM
"Kamran Ahmed"

Hi!
*
Good news first, I was successfully able to install Fedora 8 ppc version on my PS3. There are 3 issues right now that i am facing and hope to get all of them resolved.....
*
1.*** Whenever I try to shutdown or restart it comes up with the message "System halting" when shutting down and nothing happens, it displays "stand by while the system is restartin...." still nothing happens. I just get a blinking cursor. Eventually in the end I have to restart or shutdown by pressing the power on m PS3 manually.

*
2.*** When I try to mount any USB external hard drive, I get a message for "Unable to mount", when i check the details it shows that there was an improper shutdown/restart. This issue could be in turn related to the above issue. Is there any way I could forcefully mount the External USB Hard drive.

*
3.****Thirdly, I do not have an internet connection enabled on my PS3, hence I cannot download and install*the YUM Updates. Is there any way that I can manually download the updates and then install them on fedora 8 ppc. This is very important for me as whenever*I am trying to install any application such as VLC or any other application it gives me the following:

*
Error while installing VLC rpm (OR any Software for that matter)

*

Unable to retrieve software information

*

Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available.

*

Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again
*
Please remember that I do not have an internet connection enabled on my fedora 8 ppc or on PS3.
*
*
4.**** Last but not the least: I get a following error:
*

Error while opening avi/divx/xvid files through Movie Player on fedora 8 ppc

*

The application "Movie Player" requires the following Plugins:

MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder

XVID MPEG-4 decoder

*

The are no plugins for the requested functionality.

Please select the full plugins list in the View menu.

*

An error occurred

The playback of this movie requires the following decoders which are not installed:

MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder

XVID MPEG-4 decoder
*

I would be highly thankful if you get the above issues resolved as*they are*driving me insane......
*
*
If possible please mention a technical support number on which I could call to get answers to any issue. The number needs to be an international number that I could call as I will be calling from India.
*
*
Regards
Kamran Ahmed
+91 9886930984
*

*

Old 11-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Timothy Murphy

Kamran Ahmed wrote:

> 1. Whenever I try to shutdown or restart it comes up with the message
> "System halting" when shutting down and nothing happens, it displays
> "stand by while the system is restartin...." still nothing happens. I just
> get a blinking cursor. Eventually in the end I have to restart or shutdown
> by pressing the power on m PS3 manually.
>
> 2. When I try to mount any USB external hard drive, I get a message for
> "Unable to mount", when i check the details it shows that there was an
> improper shutdown/restart. This issue could be in turn related to the
> above issue. Is there any way I could forcefully mount the External USB
> Hard drive.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with NetworkManager (the title)?

If I had your problem, I would get Knoppix, or a similar Linux-on-a-CD,
and run e2fsck on your partitions (particularly the one with / on it).

Then I would try mounting your USB drive from Knoppix.

> 3. Thirdly, I do not have an internet connection enabled on my PS3,
> hence I cannot download and install the YUM Updates. Is there any way that
> I can manually download the updates and then install them on fedora 8 ppc.

What do you mean by "manually download"?
Do you mean you have another computer that is connected to the internet?

Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 AM
Karl Auer

In general, NetworkManager works pretty well for m. It swaps
automagically from my wired network to my wireless network and back, I
can select from the various networks available, and it handles WPA with
great aplomb.

BUT: I need to set up a domain search list. I have
edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf accordingly, and it is completely
ignored.

I tried selecting "manual configuration" and entering extra domains in
the search list on the "DNS" tab, but NetworkManager just sets them back
to what they were before.

As far as I can tell, Network Manager uses whatever the DHCP server
sends - and that's it. I don't want to alter what the DHCP server sends,
I want to override it locally.

Anyone know how to do that?

Regards, K.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:21 PM
"Dustin Breese"

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:
> In general, NetworkManager works pretty well for m. It swaps
> automagically from my wired network to my wireless network and back, I
> can select from the various networks available, and it handles WPA with
> great aplomb.
>
> BUT: I need to set up a domain search list. I have
> edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf accordingly, and it is completely
> ignored.
>
> I tried selecting "manual configuration" and entering extra domains in
> the search list on the "DNS" tab, but NetworkManager just sets them back
> to what they were before.
>
> As far as I can tell, Network Manager uses whatever the DHCP server
> sends - and that's it. I don't want to alter what the DHCP server sends,
> I want to override it locally.
>
> Anyone know how to do that?
>
> Regards, K.

Karl,

Not sure if I follow exactly what you want, but I've used the
/etc/network/if*.d scripts to override network settings (had a script
that took out a bad DNS entry which constantly had issues, but my ISP
refused to fix). The scripts can be called at different times during
the interfaces lifecycle.

Perhaps you could script it so that your domains are added AFTER the
iface is configured via network manager?

-Dustin

Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 10-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 16:05 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> I need to set up a domain search list. I have
> edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf accordingly, and it is completely
> ignored.

After a complete reboot, it all came good. I don't understand why
"sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" was not sufficient.

But it works now.

Regards, K.