Old 10-04-2008, 12:49 PM
"Anthony M. Rasat"

Default NetworkManager

>I don't understand why "sudo />etc/init.d/networking restart" was >not sufficient.

I think you have it wrong. It should be "/etc/init.d/dhcp-server restart" but I'm not exactly sure. I only sure dhcp is not under networking file.

Anthony M. Rasat
Manager - Technical, Network and Support Division
PT. Jawa Pos National Network
Graha Pena Jawa Pos Group Building, 5th floor
Jln. Raya Kebayoran Lama 12, Jakarta Barat 12210
Indonesia.-
Phone 02132185562
Phone 081574217035
Fax 02153651465
Web http://www.jpnn.com

Old 10-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Auer wrote:

> In general, NetworkManager works pretty well for m. It swaps
> automagically from my wired network to my wireless network and back, I
> can select from the various networks available, and it handles WPA with
> great aplomb.
>
> BUT: I need to set up a domain search list. I have
> edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf accordingly, and it is completely
> ignored.

Er, not by Network Manager. I append a search list in dhclient.conf, and
network manager neither cares nor knows about it - it just starts the DHCP
lookup, what dhclient then does with the information is of no consequence
to Network Manager.

> I tried selecting "manual configuration" and entering extra domains in
> the search list on the "DNS" tab, but NetworkManager just sets them back
> to what they were before.

Again, not only does Network Manager not do that, once you've
selected "manual configuration", afaik NM is no longer even managing that
connection.

> As far as I can tell, Network Manager uses whatever the DHCP server
> sends - and that's it. I don't want to alter what the DHCP server sends,
> I want to override it locally.

So, it's absolutely nothing to do with NM - just post your dhclient.conf.
--
derek

Old 10-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Auer wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 16:05 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
>> I need to set up a domain search list. I have
>> edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf accordingly, and it is completely
>> ignored.
>
> After a complete reboot, it all came good. I don't understand why
> "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" was not sufficient.

Because _that_ doesn't touch NM-configured interfaces! Read the code - it
only looks through /etc/network/interfaces, and NM only handles interfaces
if they're _not_ in .../interfaces.

NM is restarted via "sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart"
--
derek

Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 12:49 +0000, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:
> >I don't understand why "sudo />etc/init.d/networking restart" was >not sufficient.
>
> I think you have it wrong. It should be "/etc/init.d/dhcp-server
> restart" but I'm not exactly sure. I only sure dhcp is not under
> networking file.

dhclient.conf affects the client, not the server. Restarting the network
should cause another client to be started, which should then see the new
dhclient.conf. At least, that's what I thought...

Regards, K.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 13:44 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > BUT: I need to set up a domain search list. I have
> > edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf accordingly, and it is completely
> > ignored.
>
> Er, not by Network Manager. I append a search list in dhclient.conf, and
> network manager neither cares nor knows about it - it just starts the DHCP
> lookup, what dhclient then does with the information is of no consequence
> to Network Manager.

After a complete reboot all worked as expected. I'm a bit puzzled by
that, because changing dhclient.conf DID work, but not until after a
reboot. IMHO a networking restart should have done the trick. I'm
putting that down to cosmic rays this time.

> > I tried selecting "manual configuration" and entering extra domains
> Again, not only does Network Manager not do that, once you've
> selected "manual configuration", afaik NM is no longer even managing that
> connection.

Well, I can now tell you that it does continue to manage the connection,
unless you enable the connection in the "manual configuration" dialogue.
If you don't enable the connection, however, and just make changes on
the DNS tab, then the changes you make are not only ignored, they are
reset to whatever NetworkManager thinks they should be. Which I suppose
is fair enough.

Regards, K.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 13:47 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > After a complete reboot, it all came good. I don't understand why
> > "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" was not sufficient.
>
> Because _that_ doesn't touch NM-configured interfaces!

It should not have been necessary to restart NM, because as you yourself
said, it just uses whatever comes back from DHCP. Restarting networking
should have done the trick.

> Read the code - it
> only looks through /etc/network/interfaces, and NM only handles interfaces
> if they're _not_ in .../interfaces.

The interface concerned was not in /etc/network/interfaces.

For the moment, I'm attributing this whole mystery to cosmic rays, which
is another way of saying I have no clue what I did wrong :-)

Regards, K.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Auer wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 13:47 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> > After a complete reboot, it all came good. I don't understand why
>> > "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" was not sufficient.
>>
>> Because _that_ doesn't touch NM-configured interfaces!
>
> It should not have been necessary to restart NM, because as you yourself
> said, it just uses whatever comes back from DHCP. Restarting networking
> should have done the trick.

You're not paying attention.

>> Read the code - it
>> only looks through /etc/network/interfaces, and NM only handles
>> interfaces if they're _not_ in .../interfaces.
>
> The interface concerned was not in /etc/network/interfaces.

Precisely - it's a NM-managed interface - but "networking restart" ONLY
touches interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces (OK, reading the code
wouldn't actually have told you that - but it does "ifdown -a" and _that_
only works against .../interfaces)

So, you need to do "/etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart".
--
derek

Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Auer wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 13:44 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

>> > I tried selecting "manual configuration" and entering extra domains
>> Again, not only does Network Manager not do that, once you've
>> selected "manual configuration", afaik NM is no longer even managing that
>> connection.
>
> Well, I can now tell you that it does continue to manage the connection,
> unless you enable the connection in the "manual configuration" dialogue.

OK - that's a matter of semantics - it seems to me that if you
don't "enable" it, you aren't really using manual configuration
(iirc, "enable" just toggles comment markers on the lines - so if you add a
bunch of settings in the manual configuration page, they're placed in the
file, but commented out unless you "enable" the interface)

> If you don't enable the connection, however, and just make changes on
> the DNS tab, then the changes you make are not only ignored,

...because they're just comments...

> they are
> reset to whatever NetworkManager thinks they should be.

It's NOT NetworkManager. It's dhclient. NM has nothing to do with your
DHCP settings, it _only_ triggers the execution of dhclient.
--
derek

Old 10-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Karl Auer

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 15:04 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > It should not have been necessary to restart NM, because as you yourself
> > said, it just uses whatever comes back from DHCP. Restarting networking
> > should have done the trick.
>
> You're not paying attention.

Don't be insulting. There is a difference between "not paying attention"
and "missing the point". I do now see what you are getting at, thank
you, and that was indeed the point I was missing at the time, too.

> > The interface concerned was not in /etc/network/interfaces.
> So, you need to do "/etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart".

To restart NetworkManager, yes. To cause new nameserver info to be
retrieved from the DHCP server? I'm still not sure that's needed (though
it would certainly work).

I think just getting NetworkManager to reconnect would have have done
the trick. That is, left-click on the NetworkManager applet, then select
the same network as it already has. That makes it disconnect and
reconnect, and it then picks up any changes made on the DHCP server.

Regards, K.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Karl Auer

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 15:08 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> OK - that's a matter of semantics - it seems to me that if you
> don't "enable" it, you aren't really using manual configuration
> [of NetworkManager]

True. But see below.

> > they are reset to whatever NetworkManager thinks they should be.
>
> It's NOT NetworkManager. It's dhclient. NM has nothing to do with your
> DHCP settings, it _only_ triggers the execution of dhclient.

Well, it may be more semantics, but dhclient, apart from being the
*source* of (some of) the details, certainly has nothing to do with
storing them in any configuration files. NetworkManager, on the other
hand, does. It seems reasonable to say that it was NetworkManager
resetting the details I was seeing in its dialogue boxes.

So, just to be bloody-minded, I just went and added a domain to the
search list in the Network manager dialogue again. It had no effect
on /etc/network/interfaces at all.

BUT: The new search list *did* get written into /etc/resolv.conf! Which
means (just to confuse the issue totally) - that it dang well should
have worked when I did it the first time. At least until NetworkManager
renewed or rediscovered an address and overrode the details
in /etc/resolv.conf with those from the DHCP client. In fact, it makes
me wonder if I was too clever by half and DID tell NetworkManager to
reconnect after I made the change - maybe to see if the change would
stick?

Nnnngggggg...

Regards, K.