-   -   fglrx problems with compiz and wine (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/7265-fglrx-problems-compiz-wine.html)

"Gianluca Cecchi" 11-28-2007 01:07 PM

fglrx problems with compiz and wine

Excuse me for this offtopic but I didn't find any specific user lists
for livna... I hope others on this list already tested and find
eventually solved
Using fglrx (both 8.42 and 8.43) on F8 x86 as packaged by livna I have
these problems with my ati x1950 crossfire edition
1 incorrect detect of ram. 256 instead of 512.
Found something on mtrr tricking but not sure how to do
2 running wine apps 50% of times crash with an opengl error (drmopen message)
3 compiz doesn' start
It seems texture_from_pixmap only present in client and server but not
in opengl extensions (from glxinfo)
Found that it could help downgrade xorg on fc7 but I don,t know on f8
without risk of messing up rpm db
Any pointers specifically for f8 users?
Thanks

Phil Meyer 11-28-2007 04:57 PM

Gianluca Cecchi wrote:

Excuse me for this offtopic but I didn't find any specific user lists
for livna... I hope others on this list already tested and find
eventually solved
Using fglrx (both 8.42 and 8.43) on F8 x86 as packaged by livna I have
these problems with my ati x1950 crossfire edition
1 incorrect detect of ram. 256 instead of 512.
Found something on mtrr tricking but not sure how to do
2 running wine apps 50% of times crash with an opengl error (drmopen message)
3 compiz doesn' start
It seems texture_from_pixmap only present in client and server but not
in opengl extensions (from glxinfo)
Found that it could help downgrade xorg on fc7 but I don,t know on f8
without risk of messing up rpm db
Any pointers specifically for f8 users?
Thanks

Lots of info on this over at the Phoronix forums.
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5972
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6607

Basically, the ATI (fglrx) linux driver sucks rocks. Many of us don't
have a choice when the laptop your company purchases for you has an ATI
card in it.

Specifically, the openGL libraries between the fglrx and Mesa versions
get confused.

The fglrx driver may misidentify your version of X11.
And others ...

There is no good work around that I know of. If you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
or LD_PRELOAD to force the fglrx versions to load first, you will do
better with many applications, but not all.

However, even with those set on a system level, compiz fails to see what
it needs from glxinfo. In fact, sometimes glxinfo can just hang.

Its frustrating to see ATI struggle so badly with what should be normal
things.

I have tested the ATI official packages and the livna packages. They
both behave the same way. The guys at Livna are doing a great job right
now, but unfortunately for us, the product itself is less than desirable.

8.43 adds an additional frustration for me by killing suspend (again) so
I downgraded back to 8.42. My current choices are fxlrx or vesa. The
radeon driver may eventually support my card.

If I could get 1920x1200 out of any other driver, I would dump the fglrx
driver in a heartbeat. I miss my games on the laptop, but it has been a
long time now since I have had a nvidia card in my laptop, so I have
been restricted to mostly 2D apps for a long time now anyways.

This laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9400 with an ATI/DELL X1400 in it.

Good Luck!

"Gianluca Cecchi" 11-29-2007 04:21 PM

Phil Meyer on Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:57:12 -0700 wrote:
> Lots of info on this over at the Phoronix forums.
> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5972

> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6607

Thanks. I already digged into phoronix, but most of considerations there are for Ubuntu/Debian based distros.
Or based on manually compiling all the bits.
I was asking for any cleaner, less invasive (from an rpm db point of view)* approach on f8.

Thanks anyway for the last pointer that I didn't notice before and the other considerations.

So, out of the box the x1950 on f8 is only supported by vesa driver, correct? Or are any plans for radeonhd packages on the road?

Gianluca