Old 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Kevin Wilson

Default Fedora 17, hostapd and avoiding DHCPDISCOVER requests

Hi,
I am running hostapd on top of backfire (hostapd) on WRT54GL LinkSys device
with b43 driver.

I have very simple, minimalistic hostapd configuration.
Now , I run on the LinkSys device:
hostapd /etc/hostapd.conf

and it starts OK.

On a nearby Fedora 17 Linux machine I insert wifi USB card, and the
Network Manager identifies the BSS (of the hostaod on the LinkSys device).

When I try to connect with Network Manager to the LinkSys device I see
, in the kernel log of the Linux machine, these messages:
dhclient[2872]: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
interval 9 (xid=0x9dd84e4)
dhclient[2872]: DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
interval 8 (xid=0x9dd84e4)
NetworkManager[540]: <warn> (wlan0): DHCPv4 request timed out.
NetworkManager[540]: <info> (wlan0): canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP
client pid 2872

Over and over again.

Now what I understand is that since there is no DHCP server on the
LinkSys device, the DHCP requests the the network manager sends
are not replied.

My question is:
Is there a way to tell the Network Manager **not** to send DHCP
requests in such a case
(when connecting to the AP) ?

rgs
Kevin

Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 16:11:32 +0200
Kevin Wilson wrote:

> Is there a way to tell the Network Manager **not** to send DHCP
> requests in such a case

I don't know if NetworkManager can ever be taught to be polite.
Every time I try to use NM to see if it has gotten better,
I run into something like this that it screws up, and I do
a "yum erase NetworkManager" and everything works perfectly
again.

I run hostapd on my machine at work, and NM insisted on
butting in and screwing things up, so I removed it there
and have had no problems with it since.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Rami Rosen

Hi,
You can set non dhcp Network Manager on a specified interface thus:
Right click on the network manager icon and click on edit
connections.
Navigate to "wireless" tab (in your case).
Go to "Edit" -> IPV4 setting
Set "Method" to Manual and assign a static IP.
Also to avoid IPV6 DHCP DISCOVER request,
You can go to "Edit" -> IPV4 setting, and select link local
address or select "Manual" and assign a static IP address.

--------
regards,
Rami Rosen

http://ramirose.wix.com/ramirosen