Old 10-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Frank Elsner

Default F17: How to overcome NetworkManagers /etc/resolv.conf ?

Hi ALL,
on my just installed Fedora 17 I've a problem with /etc/resolv.conf:

Beginning of /etc/resolv.conf reads:

# Generated by NetworkManager
domain domain_not_set.invalid
search domain_not_set.invalid

The following lines for nameserver definitions are fine.

How can I ensure to have *correct* domains (I know which ones I need)
in the domain and search statement?

On my old F14 I use a "supersede" statement in /etc/dhclient.conf but this isn't
used anymore on F17 which uses /var/run/nm-dhclient-wlan0.conf (created by
NetworkManager).

Any pointer to solve this problem welcome.

Kind regards, Frank Elsner

Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Jack Craig

For me, in network config, there is a domain box, is yours filed in properly?

my expectation is this input tool ( /usr/bin/system-config-network)
validates below config files...

DOMAIN=languageline.com

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Wired_connection_1

DOMAIN=languageline.com
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-Wired_connection_1
DOMAIN=languageline.com

/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-Wired_connection_1

what does find /etc/sys* -exec grep DOMAIN {} ; -print show on your host?

hth, ...

Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Frank Elsner

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:49:05 -0700 Jack Craig wrote:
> For me, in network config, there is a domain box, is yours filed in
> properly?
>
> my expectation is this input tool ( /usr/bin/system-config-network)
> validates below config files...
>
> DOMAIN=languageline.com
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-Wired_connection_1
>
> DOMAIN=languageline.com
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-Wired_connection_1
> DOMAIN=languageline.com
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-Wired_connection_1
>
> what does* find /etc/sys* -exec grep DOMAIN {} ; -print* show on your host?

Thanks so far for the hint. I'll investiga if time permits.

--FRank

Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 18:37:57 +0200,
On my old F14 I use a "supersede" statement in /etc/dhclient.conf but this isn't
used anymore on F17 which uses /var/run/nm-dhclient-wlan0.conf (created by
NetworkManager).

You should be able to use /etc/dhcp/dhclient-wlan0.conf .

Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Bill Davidsen

Frank Elsner wrote:

Hi ALL,
on my just installed Fedora 17 I've a problem with /etc/resolv.conf:

Beginning of /etc/resolv.conf reads:

# Generated by NetworkManager
domain domain_not_set.invalid
search domain_not_set.invalid

The following lines for nameserver definitions are fine.

How can I ensure to have *correct* domains (I know which ones I need)
in the domain and search statement?

On my old F14 I use a "supersede" statement in /etc/dhclient.conf but this isn't
used anymore on F17 which uses /var/run/nm-dhclient-wlan0.conf (created by
NetworkManager).

Any pointer to solve this problem welcome.

After thinking about this a little, it may reflect a problem with your DHCP
server not setting things properly. Since you're using wlan0 I assume this is a
portable machine, take it to someplace with free public Wifi and see if it does
the same thing. Usual rules about security & public Wifi apply, just opening a
connection shouldn't be an issue.

Kind regards, Frank Elsner

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>