-   -   keyboard failure that doesn't seem to be hardware (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/711375-keyboard-failure-doesnt-seem-hardware.html)

Kevin Fenzi 10-11-2012 01:35 AM

keyboard failure that doesn't seem to be hardware

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:05:07 -0700
Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Given the fact that I was able to type once I selected New login on
> the "locked screen" dialog and, at the splash for which user to log
> in as, the keyboard works, I figured the keyboard was not the problem.

When this happens, can you try holding down the shift key for say
15-20seconds? Do you see a notice then about 'slow keys' being disabled
and it starts working again?

kevin

Ed Greshko 10-11-2012 01:43 AM

On 10/11/2012 09:05 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> PS2, wired.
>
> Given the fact that I was able to type once I selected New login on the "locked screen" dialog and, at the splash for which user to log in as, the keyboard works, I figured the keyboard was not the problem.

I see..... It has been a long time since I've used a wired PS2 keyboard. However, when I had a RHELv4 system with a wired PS2 keyboard I noticed that the keyboard would become non-responsive if it were unplugged/plugged. The X server would lose connection to it and would not re-establish a connection until a logout (which restarts the X server).

Frankly, the first thing I would do is find another keyboard and see if that helps. I may be unique in that I've got an old keyboard on the shelf for emergencies. :-) :-)

Joe Zeff 10-11-2012 02:10 AM

keyboard failure that doesn't seem to be hardware

I see..... It has been a long time since I've used a wired PS2 keyboard. However, when I had a RHELv4 system with a wired PS2 keyboard I noticed that the keyboard would become non-responsive if it were unplugged/plugged. The X server would lose connection to it and would not re-establish a connection until a logout (which restarts the X server).

Interesting. I was wondering about the PS2 keyboard, but my memory told
me that you had to reboot if it came unplugged. Guess that must be
Windows-specific.

Geoffrey Leach 10-11-2012 02:30 AM

On 10/10/2012 06:35:58 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:05:07 -0700
> Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Given the fact that I was able to type once I selected New login on
> > the "locked screen" dialog and, at the splash for which user to log
> > in as, the keyboard works, I figured the keyboard was not the
> problem.
>
> When this happens, can you try holding down the shift key for say
> 15-20seconds? Do you see a notice then about 'slow keys' being
> disabled
> and it starts working again?

This would appear to be an instance of a fairly well documented
problem. Bugzilla # 816764. If holding down the shift key does not
work, try toggling Slow Keys in Settings->Accessibility. I've found
that toggle followed by the shift key usually works. But, alas, YMMV.

Frantisek Hanzlik 10-11-2012 03:20 AM

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 06:43 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> I see..... It has been a long time since I've used a wired PS2
>> keyboard. However, when I had a RHELv4 system with a wired PS2
>> keyboard I noticed that the keyboard would become non-responsive if it
>> were unplugged/plugged. The X server would lose connection to it and
>> would not re-establish a connection until a logout (which restarts the
>> X server).
>
> Interesting. I was wondering about the PS2 keyboard, but my memory told
> me that you had to reboot if it came unplugged. Guess that must be
> Windows-specific.

It was discused here somtimes about 27.-28.8., You can search 'dead
keyboard' in list archive. It is probably some X server problem.

Kevin Fenzi 10-11-2012 03:24 AM

keyboard failure that doesn't seem to be hardware

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:30:28 -0700
Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:

> On 10/10/2012 06:35:58 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 18:05:07 -0700
> > Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > Given the fact that I was able to type once I selected New login
> > > on the "locked screen" dialog and, at the splash for which user
> > > to log in as, the keyboard works, I figured the keyboard was not
> > > the
> > problem.
> >
> > When this happens, can you try holding down the shift key for say
> > 15-20seconds? Do you see a notice then about 'slow keys' being
> > disabled
> > and it starts working again?
>
> This would appear to be an instance of a fairly well documented
> problem. Bugzilla # 816764. If holding down the shift key does not
> work, try toggling Slow Keys in Settings->Accessibility. I've found
> that toggle followed by the shift key usually works. But, alas, YMMV.

Well, thats what I was trying to determine yes... we will have to wait
for the orig reporter to reply to see if this is really the case. ;)

kevin

Paul Allen Newell 10-11-2012 05:28 AM

keyboard failure that doesn't seem to be hardware