Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 AM
JD

Default Fedora 17 install dualboot with Windows 7 Home Premium goes nowhere

On 10/09/2012 07:10 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

Friends,

After years of providing services to students for free in installing
Fedora, I hit a wall this afternoon and don't quite know how to get out
of it.

The offending laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6 with Windows 7 Home Premium
on it. We paritioned the HDD using Windows 7 creating a separate
partition and went off to install Fedora on the new partition from a
Live CD. Installation went off as a breeze, however, after reboot all
hell broke loose.

Grub did not show up, what is worse is that a broken Windows Error
Recovery did with the Launch Startup Repair, etc. However, it asks for
the original installation disc for Windows 7 which the retailer never
provided.

I tried using PW o fix the MBR as mentioned here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/software/135486-how-do-i-repair-mbr-without-disk.html

but no luck: it goes back to this screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I feel
embarrassed and responsible for this student's fancy laptop now. He
needs to have W7 to use the BluRay so we were thinking of a dual boot
originally, but at this point, I am trying to salvage whatever.

Ranjan

You need to contact HP and they will provide you
with the recovery windows DVD. I have run into a similar problem.
After fixing your windows, your Linux Grub will be
overwritten, and windows booter will be in place.

I suggest that you download and install the Fedora normal ISO:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-17-i386-DVD.iso
< this is for 32bit
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-x86_64-DVD.iso
< this is for 64bit

Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Jim

[...]

Use Gparted when resizing the Windows Partition and create two Linux
ext4 partitions , / 40% and /home 60% of unallocated space

When installing Fedora 17 use the Customize method and then Edit the two
new partitions . As / and /home , format / and /home as ext4.

it also helps to have at least a 1024 swap partition.

To get Gparted do a Google search of " Gparted Download" or goto.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:52:20 -0400 Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 10/09/2012 10:32 PM, JD wrote:
> >
> > On 10/09/2012 07:10 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> >> Friends,
> >>
> >> After years of providing services to students for free in installing
> >> Fedora, I hit a wall this afternoon and don't quite know how to get out
> >> of it.
> >>
> >> The offending laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6 with Windows 7 Home Premium
> >> on it. We paritioned the HDD using Windows 7 creating a separate
> >> partition and went off to install Fedora on the new partition from a
> >> Live CD. Installation went off as a breeze, however, after reboot all
> >> hell broke loose.
> >>
> >> Grub did not show up, what is worse is that a broken Windows Error
> >> Recovery did with the Launch Startup Repair, etc. However, it asks for
> >> the original installation disc for Windows 7 which the retailer never
> >> provided.
> >>
> >> I tried using PW o fix the MBR as mentioned here:
> >> http://www.sevenforums.com/software/135486-how-do-i-repair-mbr-without-disk.html
> >>

> >> but no luck: it goes back to this screen.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I feel
> >> embarrassed and responsible for this student's fancy laptop now. He
> >> needs to have W7 to use the BluRay so we were thinking of a dual boot
> >> originally, but at this point, I am trying to salvage whatever.
> >>
> >> Ranjan
> >>

> > You need to contact HP and they will provide you
> > with the recovery windows DVD. I have run into a similar problem.
> > After fixing your windows, your Linux Grub will be
> > overwritten, and windows booter will be in place.
> >
> > I suggest that you download and install the Fedora normal ISO:
> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-17-i386-DVD.iso
> > < this is for 32bit
> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/17/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-17-x86_64-DVD.iso
> > < this is for 64bit
> >

> Use Gparted when resizing the Windows Partition and create two Linux
> ext4 partitions , / 40% and /home 60% of unallocated space
>
> When installing Fedora 17 use the Customize method and then Edit the two
> new partitions . As / and /home , format / and /home as ext4.
>
> it also helps to have at least a 1024 swap partition.
>
> To get Gparted do a Google search of " Gparted Download" or goto.
>
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Thanks very much! Btw, I am able to "see" the "Recovery Partition" from
a Linux LiveCD. Can I copy these files onto an external USB in the
usual way, but then how do I make a "Recovery disk" from this?

Sorry, this is more a Windoze question, I know, but I thought that this
might be something someone here might have some experience with.

Many thanks again to both JD and Jim!

Ranjan

Old 10-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Daniel Landau

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Ranjan Maitra
<maitra.mbox.ignored@inbox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:52:20 -0400 Jim <binarynut@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On 10/09/2012 10:32 PM, JD wrote:
>> > You need to contact HP and they will provide you
>> > with the recovery windows DVD. I have run into a similar problem.
>> > After fixing your windows, your Linux Grub will be
>> > overwritten, and windows booter will be in place.

If the install is otherwise fine except for the bootloader, you could
boot from a live distro, chroot into the install and run "grub-install
/dev/sda". The process in steps:

1. Boot in to live environment
2. Figure out in which partitions did you install Fedora (using
gparted, fdisk, whatever you're comfortable with).
All of the following as root, so "su" or "sudo -i" depending on your environment
3. mkdir /mnt/fedora
4. mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/fedora
(4.b mount /dev/sdaY /mnt/fedora/boot)
5 mount -t proc proc /mnt/fedora/proc
6. mount -o bind /dev /mnt/fedora/dev
7. mount -o bind /sys /mnt/fedora/sys
8. chroot /mnt/fedora /bin/bash
9. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (check here to find out where
you should put 2's)
10. grub-install /dev/sda
11. exit
12. umount everything and reboot

> Thanks very much! Btw, I am able to "see" the "Recovery Partition" from
> a Linux LiveCD. Can I copy these files onto an external USB in the
> usual way, but then how do I make a "Recovery disk" from this?

If the above procedure for installing grub doesn't work, you can
download legal copies of the install isos straight from a Microsoft
contractor called Digital River, instructions in this blog post:
http://blog.ringerc.id.au/2012/05/you-can-download-legal-windows-7-iso.html.
The different isos are legal and from Microsoft and will of course do
nothing without a licence key.

Daniel Landau

Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Hi Daniel,

Thanks very much! I did not get a few points:

> If the install is otherwise fine except for the bootloader, you could
> boot from a live distro, chroot into the install and run "grub-install
> /dev/sda". The process in steps:
>
> 1. Boot in to live environment
> 2. Figure out in which partitions did you install Fedora (using
> gparted, fdisk, whatever you're comfortable with).
> All of the following as root, so "su" or "sudo -i" depending on your environment
> 3. mkdir /mnt/fedora
> 4. mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/fedora

I guess the X is for wherever the / partition is?

> (4.b mount /dev/sdaY /mnt/fedora/boot)

This Y is for the /boot partition?

> 5 mount -t proc proc /mnt/fedora/proc
> 6. mount -o bind /dev /mnt/fedora/dev
> 7. mount -o bind /sys /mnt/fedora/sys
> 8. chroot /mnt/fedora /bin/bash
> 9. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (check here to find out where
> you should put 2's)

I do not understand this point. Where should I put the 2's?

> 10. grub-install /dev/sda
> 11. exit
> 12. umount everything and reboot

Will this fix the Windoze side also?

> > Thanks very much! Btw, I am able to "see" the "Recovery Partition" from
> > a Linux LiveCD. Can I copy these files onto an external USB in the
> > usual way, but then how do I make a "Recovery disk" from this?
>
> If the above procedure for installing grub doesn't work, you can
> download legal copies of the install isos straight from a Microsoft
> contractor called Digital River, instructions in this blog post:
> http://blog.ringerc.id.au/2012/05/you-can-download-legal-windows-7-iso.html.
> The different isos are legal and from Microsoft and will of course do
> nothing without a licence key.

Thanks, Daniel!

I tried this yesterday, but got an error message saying no device
drives/drivers found. I looked around the HP website but no help.

I used a DVD. I also tried using Unetbootin on a USB stick, but all I
got on the USB stick was "Default" when I booted into it.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Daniel Landau

On 11 Oct 2012 16:01, "Ranjan Maitra" <maitra.mbox.ignored@inbox.com> wrote:

> > 4. mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/fedora

> I guess the X is for wherever the / partition is?

> > (4.b mount /dev/sdaY /mnt/fedora/boot)

> This Y is for the /boot partition?

Exactly so.

> > 9. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (check here to find out where

> > you should put 2's)

> I do not understand this point. Where should I put the 2's?

I think on my Fedora 18 install the command to run was:

$ grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

While on Ubuntu the corresponding command is:

$ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Grub is such an important part of a system, that you don't simply go and update it for no reason. Grub version 2 is a somewhat complete rewrite and redesign (disclaimer: I'm not an expert on Grub), so the update has led to different names in different distros that have either allowed or not for both to be installed at the same time (user binaries, that is, only one actual bootloader at a time).

> Will this fix the Windoze side also?

If, and that's a big if, the only thing wrong is the boot loader then it will. If there's something wrong with the actual files for the installation or the partitions, then they won't get fixed.

> I tried this yesterday, but got an error message saying no device

> drives/drivers found. I looked around the HP website but no help.

> I used a DVD. I also tried using Unetbootin on a USB stick, but all I

> got on the USB stick was "Default" when I booted into it.

I think this starts to delve too far into windows support for this list. I don't know about the drivers thing, but you can't use unetbootin to make a Windows usb stick, there is a Microsoft made Windows only software for that.

Daniel

Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Thanks again!

Steps 1. and 2. have to be under fail-safe mode, or any terminal window?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:55:57 +0300 Daniel Landau <daniel.landau@iki.fi>
wrote:

> On 11 Oct 2012 16:01, "Ranjan Maitra" <maitra.mbox.ignored@inbox.com> wrote:
> > > 4. mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/fedora
> >
> > I guess the X is for wherever the / partition is?
> >
> > > (4.b mount /dev/sdaY /mnt/fedora/boot)
> >
> > This Y is for the /boot partition?
> >

> Exactly so.
>
> > > 9. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (check here to find out where
> > > you should put 2's)
> >
> > I do not understand this point. Where should I put the 2's?
> >

> I think on my Fedora 18 install the command to run was:
>
> $ grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>
> While on Ubuntu the corresponding command is:
>
> $ grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> Grub is such an important part of a system, that you don't simply go and
> update it for no reason. Grub version 2 is a somewhat complete rewrite and
> redesign (disclaimer: I'm not an expert on Grub), so the update has led to
> different names in different distros that have either allowed or not for
> both to be installed at the same time (user binaries, that is, only one
> actual bootloader at a time).

I see: I am running Fedora 17. So, I guess the first would work?

Thanks again!

Ranjan
--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be
deleted on receipt. For those needing to send personal or professional

Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Sorry, but all well up to step 10 but not after:

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:02:37 +0300 Daniel Landau <daniel.landau@iki.fi>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Ranjan Maitra
> <maitra.mbox.ignored@inbox.com> wrote:
>
> If the install is otherwise fine except for the bootloader, you could
> boot from a live distro, chroot into the install and run "grub-install
> /dev/sda". The process in steps:
>
> 1. Boot in to live environment
> 2. Figure out in which partitions did you install Fedora (using
> gparted, fdisk, whatever you're comfortable with).
> All of the following as root, so "su" or "sudo -i" depending on your environment
> 3. mkdir /mnt/fedora
> 4. mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/fedora
> (4.b mount /dev/sdaY /mnt/fedora/boot)
> 5 mount -t proc proc /mnt/fedora/proc
> 6. mount -o bind /dev /mnt/fedora/dev
> 7. mount -o bind /sys /mnt/fedora/sys
> 8. chroot /mnt/fedora /bin/bash
> 9. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (check here to find out where
> you should put 2's)
> 10. grub-install /dev/sda

I try

% grub2-install /dev/sda. (There is no grub-install)

/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: this LDM has no Embedding
Partition; embedding won't be possible.

/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not
possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using
blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is
discouraged.

/usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks again!
Ranjan

Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Alan Cox

> % grub2-install /dev/sda. (There is no grub-install)
>
> /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: this LDM has no Embedding
> Partition; embedding won't be possible.
>
> /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not
> possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using
> blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is
> discouraged.
>
> /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
>
> Any suggestions?

You need to specify the force option to make it use blocklists.

grub2 is junk, it alone is a good reason to consider moving distro IMHO

Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:38:53 +0100 Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
wrote:

> > % grub2-install /dev/sda. (There is no grub-install)
> >
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: this LDM has no Embedding
> > Partition; embedding won't be possible.
> >
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: warning: Embedding is not
> > possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using
> > blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is
> > discouraged.
> >
> > /usr/sbin/grub2-bios-setup: error: will not proceed with blocklists.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> You need to specify the force option to make it use blocklists.
>
> grub2 is junk, it alone is a good reason to consider moving distro IMHO
> --

Thanks! I did do a --force --recheck and it complained but went through.

So, now I can boot into Linux. The Windows 7 side is still messed up and
I do not understand or know what to do. Unfortunately, I don't know if
the Windows side is going to be much of a help here.

Grub shows two entries for windows 7:

Windows 7 (loader) on (/dev/sda2)
Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda3)

The first results in:

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

(This goes back to grub.)

The second gives:

error: device format "ldm-***/Volume2" is invalid: must be f|h|dN with 0
<= N < 128

and we go to the screen for the previous case. The *** is some
alphanumeric code which is pretty long.

Any suggestions? If it was my computer, I would have scrapped the whole
windows side of course. But it is not mine (I was just offering some
free services and I feel bad about damaging the system, or at least not
making sure it dual-boots).

Many thanks again!
Ranjan