-   -   gnome classic interface with F17? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/710742-gnome-classic-interface-f17.html)

Adel ESSAFI 10-09-2012 06:51 AM

gnome classic interface with F17?

Deal list
I have installed F17 and I got the *new* gnome interface with allows
to search for application when you move the mouse to the upper left
corner.

Is it possible to configure gnome to work with the *classic*
interface (with panel)

Regards
Adel

Ruben Schade 10-09-2012 07:16 AM

Adel ESSAFI wrote:
> Deal list
> I have installed F17 and I got the *new* gnome interface with allows
> to search for application when you move the mouse to the upper left
> corner.
>
> Is it possible to configure gnome to work with the *classic*
> interface (with panel)
>
> Regards
> Adel

This is the new Gnome 3 user interface. If you want a more classic Gnome
2.x interface, you can go to System Settings -> Details -> Graphics and
set "Use Fallback Mode" to on. It's not exactly the same as classic
Gnome, but should be familiar.

The other alternative is to use the MATE desktop, which is a fork of
Gnome before version 3, and the one you used before:

http://mate-desktop.org/

MATE is scheduled for release in Fedora 18:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MATE-Desktop

For now, you can follow theses instructions to get it working:

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#fedora

--
Cheers,
Ruben Schade

http://rubenschade.com/
I may be wrong, but I'm never uncertain.

Adel ESSAFI 10-09-2012 07:28 AM

gnome classic interface with F17?

Thank you, that solved my problem

2012/10/9 Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com>:
> Adel ESSAFI wrote:
>> Deal list
>> I have installed F17 and I got the *new* gnome interface with allows
>> to search for application when you move the mouse to the upper left
>> corner.
>>
>> Is it possible to configure gnome to work with the *classic*
>> interface (with panel)
>>
>> Regards
>> Adel
>>

> This is the new Gnome 3 user interface. If you want a more classic Gnome
> 2.x interface, you can go to System Settings -> Details -> Graphics and
> set "Use Fallback Mode" to on. It's not exactly the same as classic
> Gnome, but should be familiar.
>
> The other alternative is to use the MATE desktop, which is a fork of
> Gnome before version 3, and the one you used before:
>
> http://mate-desktop.org/
>
> MATE is scheduled for release in Fedora 18:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MATE-Desktop
>
> For now, you can follow theses instructions to get it working:
>
> http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#fedora
>

> --
> Cheers,
> Ruben Schade
>
> http://rubenschade.com/
> I may be wrong, but I'm never uncertain.

PhD candidate in Computer Science
Address
3 avenue lamine, cité ezzahra, Sousse 4000
Tunisia
tel: +216 97 246 706 (+33640302046 jusqu'au 15/6)
fax: +216 71 391 166

Ruben Schade 10-09-2012 02:44 PM

Adel ESSAFI wrote:
> Thank you, that solved my problem

My pleasure, glad it worked.

For what it's worth, I didn't like the Gnome Shell at first. I decided
to try it for a few weeks, and now I can't live without it. You really
get used to just flinging your mouse into the corner of the screen, or
hitting the Windows key and typing the name of a program.

If you have some time, give it a shot, you might be surprised :)