Old 10-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Fernando Cassia

Default installing Microsoft fonts: chkfontpath not found

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM, manifestoe <janes.rob@gmail.com> wrote:
> You probably didn't run the X core indexers.
>
> mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/msttcore
> mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/msttcore
>
> assuming you've already added this
>
> cat > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/09-msttcore-fontpath.conf <<'EOT'
> Section "Files"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/msttcore"
> EndSection
> EOT
>
> the xset and this 09 file only work if you've already indexed the fonts.

The above reminds me about that joke about Unix being user friendly...
"it´s just selective about whom his friends are".

Really, nobody thought about creating a bash script that does all of
the above?. I´m convinced that Linux needs less ´howtos´ with large
blobs of commands to cut-and-paste into a shell, and more ´howtos
turned into scripts, added to the base system´.

Just my $0.02
FC

Old 10-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 22:33 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Really, nobody thought about creating a bash script that does all of
> the above?. I´m convinced that Linux needs less ´howtos´ with large
> blobs of commands to cut-and-paste into a shell, and more ´howtos
> turned into scripts, added to the base system´.

The same sort of thing occurred to me. Since a RPM file is used to do
the installation, surely it ought to complete the job?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Sergio

> You probably didn't run the X core
> indexers.
>
> mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/msttcore
> mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/msttcore

That how-to only asked to run mkfontdir for ttf fonts, not mkfontscale so I didn't run the latter.

> assuming you've already added this
>
> cat > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/09-msttcore-fontpath.conf
> <<'EOT'
> Section "Files"
> * FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/msttcore"
> EndSection
> EOT
>
> the xset and this 09 file only work if you've already
> indexed the fonts.

I hadn't set up that file.

But now you're explaining all this I'll just replace the rpm I have installed with yours. Then I'll tell if it works.

Best.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Sergio

> > Really, nobody thought about creating a bash script
> that does all of
> > the above?. I´m convinced that Linux needs less
> ´howtos´ with large
> > blobs of commands to cut-and-paste into a shell, and
> more ´howtos
> > turned into scripts, added to the base system´.
>
> The same sort of thing occurred to me.* Since a RPM
> file is used to do
> the installation, surely it ought to complete the job?
>
> --
Yep, but I didn't install this new rpm yet. I was trying exactly to figure what it did that the one I have installed didn't do.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
manifestoe

yes, the rpm i've pointed to will do all of that for you.

The spec file is on the sourceforge site (same link), but the spec file no
longer contains the core X and Xft commands. Those are in a shell script
that comes in the rpm. You'll find the shell script in the tarball at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mscorefonts2/files/sources/msttcore-fonts-installer-2.2-1.tar.gz.

here's the spec

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mscorefonts2/files/specs/msttcore-fonts-installer-2.2-1.spec.

you'll find both of these actually in the source rpm,

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mscorefonts2/files/rpms/msttcore-fonts-installer-2.2-1.src.rpm

Let me know if you have any problems.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Sergio

> yes, the rpm i've pointed to will do
> all of that for you.
>
> The spec file is on the sourceforge site (same link), but
> the spec file no
> longer contains the core X and Xft commands.* Those are
> in a shell script
> that comes in the rpm.* You'll find the shell script in
> the tarball at
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mscorefonts2/files/sources/msttcore-fonts-installer-2.2-1.tar.gz.
>
> here's the spec
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mscorefonts2/files/specs/msttcore-fonts-installer-2.2-1.spec.
>
> you'll find both of these actually in the source rpm,
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mscorefonts2/files/rpms/msttcore-fonts-installer-2.2-1.src.rpm
>
> Let me know if you have any problems.

It worked great. Thanks a lot!
For some reason I didn't figure yet 'comic sans' became the default for the old X core system (i.e. when no font is selected; it used to be some fairly generic font that I don't remember).

Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Sergio

Just to clarify if anyone is wondering, it doesn't make any difference for modern apps. Installing fonts nowadays is a simple as dropping them in the font path as Matthew said.
It's only for apps that use the legacy system.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Sergio

manifestoe, I had some X problems (that I don't know if it was related with the font path file or not; can't say because I had other misconfigurations) and had to do a clean up on the X configs.
While examining the issue I found out the way fonts add themselves to the X core system. They link their directories to /etc/X11/fontpath.d
I did this to the ms fonts (after disabling 09-msttcore-fontpath.conf) and it works properly. So I suggest that you use this method in your script: instead of creating that fontpath file, simply ln -s /usr/share/fonts/msttcore to /etc/X11/fontpath.d/

See in my system:
$ ll /etc/X11/fontpath.d/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 36 Jun 1 09:52 default-ghostscript -> /usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 30 Jun 1 09:51 fonts-default -> /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 9 17:04 msttcore -> /usr/share/fonts/msttcore/
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 25 May 25 12:37 terminus:unscaled -> /usr/share/fonts/terminus
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Oct 5 09:16 xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi:unscaledri=30 -> /usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 26 Sep 21 08:27 xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi:unscaledri=20 -> /usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 25 Jun 28 18:38 xorg-x11-fonts-misc:unscaledri=10 -> /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc

Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
manifestoe

Thanks, I'll look in to it.

xset q will tell you your fontpath for X core.

/etc/X11/fontpath.d is the catalog directory. It has symlinks for a subset
of /usr/share/fonts.

adding fontpath Files to the X11 xorg.conf should be equivalent.

the xset +fp commands are supposed to do the same thing for the running
system.

adding to the xorg.conf is pretty reliable. on the other hand, adding a
symlink to the rpm should be robust too.

Is anybody else having trouble with the 09 file added to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d?

-rob janes