-   -   Repeated segfaults in F17 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/710407-repeated-segfaults-f17.html)

Heinz Diehl 10-08-2012 07:11 AM

Repeated segfaults in F17

On 08.10.2012, Temlakos wrote:

> Beginning about an hour ago, I've been hit with a ton of application
> terminations. All of them say the same thing: "Signal 11 (SIGSEGV). Which I
> believe translates as "Signal segmentation violation."
[....]

I bet you have hardware problems. E.g. faulty memory, heat problems or
something like that..

You should run memtest after booting from stick/CD and/or prime95 to
come closer to what's going on.

Ralf Corsepius 10-08-2012 07:46 AM

Repeated segfaults in F17

On 10/08/2012 04:38 AM, Temlakos wrote:

Beginning about an hour ago, I've been hit with a ton of application
terminations. All of them say the same thing: "Signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
Which I believe translates as "Signal segmentation violation."

In addition to what others already wrote, check if you aren't running
out of memory (run "df" and check its output).

Ralf

Matthew Miller 10-08-2012 12:04 PM

Repeated segfaults in F17

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 09:11:13AM +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> I bet you have hardware problems. E.g. faulty memory, heat problems or
> something like that..

This is likely. The other main possibility is that you've been hacked and
someone installed a rootkit that isn't perfectly compatible with your
system. Weird glitchy behavior is a common symptom.

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Patrick O'Callaghan 10-08-2012 12:15 PM

Repeated segfaults in F17

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 09:46 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 04:38 AM, Temlakos wrote:
> > Beginning about an hour ago, I've been hit with a ton of application
> > terminations. All of them say the same thing: "Signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
> > Which I believe translates as "Signal segmentation violation."
>
> In addition to what others already wrote, check if you aren't running
> out of memory (run "df" and check its output).

df tells you about free disk space. It has nothing whatever to do with
RAM, besides which a lack of disk space (even in swap) would cause a
system error message, not a segfault.

poc

Temlakos 10-08-2012 12:55 PM

Repeated segfaults in F17

Beginning about an hour ago, I've been hit with a ton of application
terminations. All of them say the same thing: "Signal 11 (SIGSEGV). Which I
believe translates as "Signal segmentation violation."

[....]

I bet you have hardware problems. E.g. faulty memory, heat problems or
something like that..

You should run memtest after booting from stick/CD and/or prime95 to
come closer to what's going on.

Several times in the past I have shut down this computer and literally
waited for it to cool off. It always seemed to work, at least nine times
out of ten. But I never really believed that things actually worked that
way. I shut it down overnight, and in the morning most of my problem
applications started working properly again.

Matthew Miller 10-08-2012 01:01 PM

Repeated segfaults in F17

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 08:55:03AM -0400, Temlakos wrote:
> Several times in the past I have shut down this computer and
> literally waited for it to cool off. It always seemed to work, at
> least nine times out of ten. But I never really believed that things
> actually worked that way. I shut it down overnight, and in the
> morning most of my problem applications started working properly
> again.

In that case, install and configure lm_sensors, and see just how hot things
are getting. Make sure your system is entirely cleaned from dust and all the
fans are spinning.

--
Matthew Miller ☁☁☁ Fedora Cloud Architect ☁☁☁ <mattdm@fedoraproject.org>

Joe Zeff 10-08-2012 04:24 PM

Repeated segfaults in F17

Several times in the past I have shut down this computer and literally
waited for it to cool off. It always seemed to work, at least nine times
out of ten. But I never really believed that things actually worked that
way. I shut it down overnight, and in the morning most of my problem
applications started working properly again.

Open the box up and use some compressed air to blow all of the dust out.
While you're at it, make sure that all of the air intakes are clear.

Steven Stern 10-08-2012 04:34 PM

Repeated segfaults in F17

On 10/08/2012 11:24 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 05:55 AM, Temlakos wrote:
>> Several times in the past I have shut down this computer and literally
>> waited for it to cool off. It always seemed to work, at least nine times
>> out of ten. But I never really believed that things actually worked that
>> way. I shut it down overnight, and in the morning most of my problem
>> applications started working properly again.
>
> Open the box up and use some compressed air to blow all of the dust out.
> While you're at it, make sure that all of the air intakes are clear.

Good advice for everyone. I have two cats and the PC sits on a carpeted
floor under my desk. It gets full of dust, hair, and I'm not sure what
much faster that I like to think about. I use Dust-Off about every six
weeks to make sure it runs cool.

--
-- Steve

Jack Craig 10-08-2012 04:39 PM

Repeated segfaults in F17

Several times in the past I have shut down this computer and literally

waited for it to cool off. It always seemed to work, at least nine times

out of ten. But I never really believed that things actually worked that

way. I shut it down overnight, and in the morning most of my problem

applications started working properly again.

Open the box up and use some compressed air to blow all of the dust out. *While you're at it, make sure that all of the air intakes are clear.

*possibly related issue, I'd like to push deeper on overtemp behavior.

I live on The coast where temp is usually moderate, but last week
we got real close to triple digits.

my PC (asus MB, Intel CPU, < 2 yrs old) is running F16.

when i got home, my dmesg had a number of cpu overtemp msgs,
eg 74K event recorded, see hw logs.

i could hear the cpu fan behaving strangely, it would speed up, then fall off and repeat.
it was like someone in a car, pushing the accelerate to the floor, letting off and as soon as the engine(fan) slows down, it repeats.

I assumed, apparently in error, some damage was done to my MB, heat sensor, other.

I prepare for a maintenance windows Sat am, i shutdown and booted to bios, hoping to find a diagnostics menu to get a better diagnosis for the repair folks.

i could not find any diagnostic option despite a monitor context where cpu fan appeared ok.

i rebooted to Linux and she has been fine.

so now my query, does anyone know of the Linux kernel could have been speeding up the fan or was it likely the MB driving that HW behaviour?

anyone got a clue about this; looking to be better prepared for next time, ...

tia, jackc...

*

Ralf Corsepius 10-08-2012 05:16 PM

Repeated segfaults in F17

Beginning about an hour ago, I've been hit with a ton of application
terminations. All of them say the same thing: "Signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
Which I believe translates as "Signal segmentation violation."

In addition to what others already wrote, check if you aren't running
out of memory (run "df" and check its output).

df tells you about free disk space.
Yes - My fault. I probably should have written "disk space" instead of
"memory".

It has nothing whatever to do with
RAM,

It depends. C.f. tmpfs, RAM disks etc.

besides which a lack of disk space (even in swap) would cause a
system error message, not a segfault.
When running out of memory, inside of a program a malloc may fail, which
may cause a pointer be set something invalid, which later may cause a
SEGFAULT when the pointer is dereferenced.

All in all, when running out of memory (or swap or tmpfs), all kind of
weird errors can happen - I've seen the weirdest things happen is such
occasions ;)

Ralf