-   -   Boot problems with fc17 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/710149-boot-problems-fc17.html)

Alex 10-07-2012 02:16 AM

Boot problems with fc17

Hi,

I installed fc17 x86_64 on a 1TB disk and it boots fine. I have an old
fc15 2TB disk that I'd like to add to the system without making any
changes to the disk itself.

The problem is that when I boot the system with the fc15 disk
installed, it boots the fc15 system using the fc17 kernel.

I've tried to switch the boot order in the BIOS, and despite it saying
the 1TB fc17 disk is first, it uses grub and initrd from the fc17 disk
but mounts the fc15 disk as root and starts to boot from it.

How can I either change the grub config on the fc17 disk to properly
boot the fc17 system, or otherwise configure my system to support this
fc15 disk without having it be accessed during boot?

Thanks,
Alex

JD 10-07-2012 03:06 AM

Boot problems with fc17

I installed fc17 x86_64 on a 1TB disk and it boots fine. I have an old
fc15 2TB disk that I'd like to add to the system without making any
changes to the disk itself.

The problem is that when I boot the system with the fc15 disk
installed, it boots the fc15 system using the fc17 kernel.

I've tried to switch the boot order in the BIOS, and despite it saying
the 1TB fc17 disk is first, it uses grub and initrd from the fc17 disk
but mounts the fc15 disk as root and starts to boot from it.

How can I either change the grub config on the fc17 disk to properly
boot the fc17 system, or otherwise configure my system to support this
fc15 disk without having it be accessed during boot?

Thanks,
Alex

What are the UUID's of all the partitions of the 2 drives?
Be sure that the uuid's (which are also used by the boot loader,
as you can see in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg) are unique for all the
partitions, and that the boot uuid in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
on the fc16 drive belongs to the boot partition of the fc17 drive.

Aaron Konstam 10-07-2012 01:40 PM

Boot problems with fc17

On Sat, 2012-10-06 at 22:16 -0400, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed fc17 x86_64 on a 1TB disk and it boots fine. I have an old
> fc15 2TB disk that I'd like to add to the system without making any
> changes to the disk itself.
>
> The problem is that when I boot the system with the fc15 disk
> installed, it boots the fc15 system using the fc17 kernel.
>
> I've tried to switch the boot order in the BIOS, and despite it saying
> the 1TB fc17 disk is first, it uses grub and initrd from the fc17 disk
> but mounts the fc15 disk as root and starts to boot from it.
>
> How can I either change the grub config on the fc17 disk to properly
> boot the fc17 system, or otherwise configure my system to support this
> fc15 disk without having it be accessed during boot?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

It seems like the default option in the grub.cfg file should be able to
solve this problem.