-   -   Plans for anaconda LVM/RAID support (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/710135-plans-anaconda-lvm-raid-support.html)

Ian Pilcher 10-06-2012 11:36 PM

Plans for anaconda LVM/RAID support

I'm sure that this information is somewhere on the Fedora Wiki, but my
search-fu apparently isn't up to the task of finding it.

What are the plans for LVM and/or software RAID support?

Currently (F18 Beta TC2), it seems to be impossible for those of us who
have fully allocated our storage to either (or both) of these
technologies to install Fedora 18 at all.

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher 10-07-2012 12:35 AM

On 10/06/2012 06:36 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I'm sure that this information is somewhere on the Fedora Wiki, but my
> search-fu apparently isn't up to the task of finding it.
>
> What are the plans for LVM and/or software RAID support?
>
> Currently (F18 Beta TC2), it seems to be impossible for those of us who
> have fully allocated our storage to either (or both) of these
> technologies to install Fedora 18 at all.
>
> Thanks!

Wrong list.

Jochen Schmitt 10-07-2012 05:57 AM

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 07:36:13PM -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:

> Currently (F18 Beta TC2), it seems to be impossible for those of us who
> have fully allocated our storage to either (or both) of these
> technologies to install Fedora 18 at all.

I have compain a simular issue a few months ago on this
mailing list.

The issue is, that anaconda is unable to install grub2, if
you have put the /boot partition in a LVM.

The only workaround nowaday is to install Fedora without
installing the bottloader. After the installation you have
to boot from a rescue media and install the bootmanager
after chroot to the root partitition in the LVM.

Booting a system with /boot in a LVM works fine in F17 for me.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt

Matthew Garrett 10-07-2012 07:39 AM

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 07:57:24AM +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote:

> The only workaround nowaday is to install Fedora without
> installing the bottloader. After the installation you have
> to boot from a rescue media and install the bootmanager
> after chroot to the root partitition in the LVM.

You're on the development list. Anaconda and grub are both written in
widely understood programming languages, using features that are well
documented. The appropraite thing to do is to engage with the developers
and provide patches rather than talking about workarounds. People aren't
failing to deal with installer issues because they're lazy, they're
failing to deal with them because there aren't enough hours in the day
for them to fix all of the issues that they're expected to handle.
You're in a position to make things better, so why not do so?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Milan Broz 10-07-2012 10:10 AM

On 10/07/2012 02:36 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I'm sure that this information is somewhere on the Fedora Wiki, but my
> search-fu apparently isn't up to the task of finding it.
>
> What are the plans for LVM and/or software RAID support?
>
> Currently (F18 Beta TC2), it seems to be impossible for those of us who
> have fully allocated our storage to either (or both) of these
> technologies to install Fedora 18 at all.

Seems disk encryption (LUKS) is impossible to configure in TC2 as well
(neither with LVM nor without LVM).
Usually the installer crashes when trying any custom change, which seems
to be known bug according to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Work_List

Actually, I though beta should be feature complete for testing
(ok, 2 days left still :-), did I miss some approved plan to remove extended
storage features (like iSCSI) and LVM, RAID and LUKS installation
from Fedora graphical installer support for F18?

Al it seems to head to "write your kickstart script manually if you need such things".

It means F18 GUI installation will be completely unusable for people
requiring enterprise features but unable to write own kickstart themselves.

Milan

Bill Davidsen 10-15-2012 02:46 PM

Ian Pilcher wrote:

I'm sure that this information is somewhere on the Fedora Wiki, but my
search-fu apparently isn't up to the task of finding it.

What are the plans for LVM and/or software RAID support?

Currently (F18 Beta TC2), it seems to be impossible for those of us who
have fully allocated our storage to either (or both) of these
technologies to install Fedora 18 at all.

How would that work? Not the install, but the boot? Unless your BIOS knows how
to handle LVM/RAID or you think you can shoehorn them into a boot sector,
doesn't the boot need to be a normal partition?

Maybe I see too many dumb BIOS problems working with little ATOM and similar
appliances, but getting them to boot anything seems an issue, and even with
non-PC partitioning layouts I would expect to need one simple boot partition the
BIOS could understand.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

"Bryn M. Reeves" 10-15-2012 03:11 PM

On 10/15/2012 03:46 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Ian Pilcher wrote:
>> I'm sure that this information is somewhere on the Fedora Wiki,
>> but my search-fu apparently isn't up to the task of finding it.
>>
>> What are the plans for LVM and/or software RAID support?
>>
>> Currently (F18 Beta TC2), it seems to be impossible for those of
>> us who have fully allocated our storage to either (or both) of
>> these technologies to install Fedora 18 at all.
>>
> How would that work? Not the install, but the boot? Unless your
> BIOS knows how to handle LVM/RAID or you think you can shoehorn
> them into a boot sector, doesn't the boot need to be a normal
> partition?

Mirroring is fairly straightforward since you just need a bootloader
on each bootable disk. Some BIOSes are less helpful than others when
it comes to booting with a failed drive but with the right system it's
possible to have a reliable set up (most of my server boxes use MD
mirrors for boot).

> Maybe I see too many dumb BIOS problems working with little ATOM
> and similar appliances, but getting them to boot anything seems an
> issue, and even with non-PC partitioning layouts I would expect to
> need one simple boot partition the BIOS could understand.

The BIOS only really needs to understand where to load a first stage
bootloader from - the traditional MBR protocol from the 80s (with a
few extras bolted on here and there). Different BIOSes are better or
worse in this area and some really are crap but that doesn't seem like
a reason to not support those layouts for systems where they do work.

Regards,
Bryn.