-   -   Fedora 17 lost+found in / directory after install (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/709615-fedora-17-lost-found-directory-after-install.html)

George 10-04-2012 02:21 PM

Fedora 17 lost+found in / directory after install

Hi all. I am a new user of Fedora 17. I am studying for the Linux
certification.

I installed Fedora 17 using Vmware Workstation 8. After I completed

the installation I checked the directories to insure that everything
was

installed correctly. When looking at the / directory using the ls
command

I discovered that /lost+found file was there. I thought that this
file is supposed

to show up when you choose a directory as a mount point. Could
anyone

help me understand why this happened and if the lost+found file is
not supposed

to be there how can I correct the problem?

Thank you.

George

agraham 10-04-2012 02:29 PM

Fedora 17 lost+found in / directory after install

Hi all. I am a new user of Fedora 17. I am studying for the Linux
certification.
I installed Fedora 17 using Vmware Workstation 8. After I completed
the installation I checked the directories to insure that everything was
installed correctly. When looking at the / directory using the ls command
I discovered that /lost+found file was there. I thought that this file
is supposed
to show up when you choose a directory as a mount point. Could anyone
help me understand why this happened and if the lost+found file is not
supposed
to be there how can I correct the problem?

Thank you.

George

This is just a default directory created by must unix/linux filesystems
and is usually used to store files that have been recovered due to some
file system repair.

However, you usually won't find this on non unix file systems such as FAT.

http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/lostfound.html

Albert

Joe Zeff 10-04-2012 02:34 PM

Fedora 17 lost+found in / directory after install

When looking at the / directory using the ls command
I discovered that /lost+found file was there. I thought that this file
is supposed
to show up when you choose a directory as a mount point.

You're right. It shows up when a directory is used as a mount point.
However, what would you call / if not a mount point? HTH, HAND.

Frank Murphy 10-04-2012 02:36 PM

Fedora 17 lost+found in / directory after install

to show up when you choose a directory as a mount point. Could anyone
help me understand why this happened and if the lost+found file is not
supposed
to be there how can I correct the problem?

Thank you.

George

cat /etc/fstab
you will see "/" there,