-   -   Screen stopped blanking (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/709474-screen-stopped-blanking.html)

Matthew Saltzman 10-04-2012 02:09 AM

Screen stopped blanking

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with an nVidia graphics card, using the
nouveau driver and the GNOME desktop on F17.

Recently, the laptop screen stopped blanking when idle in X mode. I've
modified the screen-blank settings, to no avail. If I switch to a
virtual console, blanking works fine. It's possible that the change
occurred with a kernel update or an X update, but the nouveau driver
hasn't been updated since June.

Any hints what might have changed or what I might look for to get it
working again?

TIA.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences

"Kevin H. Hobbs" 10-04-2012 01:03 PM

Screen stopped blanking

I'm having a similar problem but with one monitor on a dual monitor
workstation:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-August/423737.html

> I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with an nVidia graphics card, using the
> nouveau driver and the GNOME desktop on F17.

I also use the nouveau driver but with KDE on F17

> Recently, the laptop screen stopped blanking when idle in X mode.

Mine never blanked in F17 but blanking worked in previous fedora
releases. Do you know _how_ recently it stopped blanking?

I've
> modified the screen-blank settings, to no avail.

Same here.

If I switch to a
> virtual console, blanking works fine.

Hmm, I get the same behavior in a virtual console as I do in X, that is
on monitor suspended one remains on. Maybe our problems are different.

> Any hints what might have changed or what I might look for to get it
> working again?

What happens when you do :

xset dpms force off

When I do it my monitors appear to shut down but then one turns back on.

Matthew Saltzman 10-05-2012 03:07 AM

Screen stopped blanking

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 09:03 -0400, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> I'm having a similar problem but with one monitor on a dual monitor
> workstation:
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-August/423737.html
>
> > I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with an nVidia graphics card, using the
> > nouveau driver and the GNOME desktop on F17.
>
> I also use the nouveau driver but with KDE on F17
>

> > Recently, the laptop screen stopped blanking when idle in X mode.
>
> Mine never blanked in F17 but blanking worked in previous fedora
> releases. Do you know _how_ recently it stopped blanking?

A week or so ago, but I'm not sure exactly what I might have installed
or updated to cause it. There are recent kernels, but no recent nouveau
driver.

> I've
> > modified the screen-blank settings, to no avail.
>
> Same here.
>
> If I switch to a
> > virtual console, blanking works fine.
>
> Hmm, I get the same behavior in a virtual console as I do in X, that is
> on monitor suspended one remains on. Maybe our problems are different.
>
> > Any hints what might have changed or what I might look for to get it
> > working again?
>
> What happens when you do :
>
> xset dpms force off

Works a treat.

No, wait. It worked the first time, then the next couple of times the
screen flashed off and on. Then it worked fine again. (Actually,
there's a very slight ghost image.)

Meanwhile, when the unit is docked, the external screen blanks, but then
I can't get it to come back on. If I switch to a VC, the external
screen remains blank. If I undock the machine, the built-in screen
remains dark in X and in VC.

> When I do it my monitors appear to shut down but then one turns back on.

Just for grins, I tried to install the presentation-mode extension to
see if it offered a setting to change, but the new menu option doesn't
show up. This seems to be par for the course with extensions. The hot
right corner extension doesn't work and the weather app doesn't show up.
There's apparently been no progress on porting those extensions to
recent versions of gnome-shell.

Matthew Saltzman 10-07-2012 05:09 PM

Screen stopped blanking

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 22:09 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with an nVidia graphics card, using the
> nouveau driver and the GNOME desktop on F17.
>
> Recently, the laptop screen stopped blanking when idle in X mode. I've
> modified the screen-blank settings, to no avail. If I switch to a
> virtual console, blanking works fine. It's possible that the change
> occurred with a kernel update or an X update, but the nouveau driver
> hasn't been updated since June.
>
> Any hints what might have changed or what I might look for to get it
> working again?
>
> TIA.

I created a new user and tried logging in with that id, and the screen
blanks as expected. So the problem is some configuration setting in my
regular userid. But I have no idea what that setting might be. It
doesn't seem to be anything accessible through GNOME settings or
gconf-editor.

Any suggestion about where to look would be appreciated.

"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr." 10-07-2012 05:37 PM

Screen stopped blanking

[...]

Isn't there a way to open two files and "compare" them?.....would it be
possible to have this done for your regular user and the new one you
created?...then you could look at both config. files and see what might
be different or unusual.......just a suggestion.

EGO II

Matthew Saltzman 10-07-2012 06:21 PM

Screen stopped blanking

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 13:09 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 22:09 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > I have a Dell Latitude E6410 with an nVidia graphics card, using the
> > nouveau driver and the GNOME desktop on F17.
> >
> > Recently, the laptop screen stopped blanking when idle in X mode. I've
> > modified the screen-blank settings, to no avail. If I switch to a
> > virtual console, blanking works fine. It's possible that the change
> > occurred with a kernel update or an X update, but the nouveau driver
> > hasn't been updated since June.
> >
> > Any hints what might have changed or what I might look for to get it
> > working again?
> >
> > TIA.
> >

> I created a new user and tried logging in with that id, and the screen
> blanks as expected. So the problem is some configuration setting in my
> regular userid. But I have no idea what that setting might be. It
> doesn't seem to be anything accessible through GNOME settings or
> gconf-editor.
>
> Any suggestion about where to look would be appreciated.

I had installed the GNOME shell weather extension and set the temp and
conditions to display in the task bar. The app doesn't work, apparently
(nothing is displayed), but having the display option set prevents the
screen from blanking.

It's an annoyance that several of the extensions (including some that
worked in F16) don't work in F17. Weather, hot right corner,
presentation mode are ones that I'd like to have that aren't working.
The latter two worked before.